Thread: looking for some good rabbit recipes

Default looking for some good rabbit recipes

went out this weekend with my 8 year old daughter and she got her first rabbit. we ended up with quite a few. been years since I cooked any bunnies and remember it always turning out a bit tough. I am sure that i am just not using the right recipe.

I am very adamant about teaching the don't kill it unless you are going to eat it philosophy to children. I want to make sure that when I cook her first rabbit / hare that she likes it so she will want to keep hunting.

I tried using the search tool and was not able to find much. any help would be appreciated.

I like to cook them all day in a crockpot and then make BBQ sandwiches with them. Like pulled pork but with rabbit.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Ryan from Wasilla

thanks for the suggestions so far. keep them coming...

we got almost 20 rabbits so I have a bunch to eat..... would like to try many different recipies

thanks

Default teriyaki

We got 25 the other day and we marinaded them in teriyaki sauce for 3 hours or so. Then we put them on a skewer and threw them on the bbq. They turned out pretty good next to some rice.
    Ryan from Wasilla

here is one I tried that turned out real good.

cut meat off the bone and into bite size chunks.
    use pike style meat tenderizer and sprinkle with unseasoned meat tenderizer and garlic. let sit for 30 minutes.
    use your favorite shake and bake (chicken pork etc)
    place on cookie sheet for 20-30 minutes at 300 deg. checking the larger peices to make sure they are cooked through.

serve with rice and maybe a little ranch or ketchup to dip in.

Default Best small game recipe

This is the best small game recipe ever. There is never enough for leftovers with this dish. It takes a bit of prep but well worth it.

First you marinade the legs and back peices in yoshidas for 20 mintues or so and then shake off and dip in bisquick seasoned with garlic salt and peper.

Then you lightly brown them in a pan with a little bit of oil.

Take all the pieces and put them in a baking croc. along with a large diced onion and can of mucshrooms. fill croc with chicken broth until it just covers the meat.

Here is the secret ingredient, two tablespoons of lemon juice.

Cover and Bake at 450 degrees for 1 hour.

Serve over rice.

This recipe works with even the toughest old bunnies and is also very good with grouse, pretty much any little critter you care to try it with.

Its one of our favorite meals.

I've cooked 'em chicken & dumplin' style in a crock pot. Before puttin' 'em in the pot I'll lay on some cracked black pepper, salt, fresh diced garlic, and herb (cilantro, thyme, sage, etc.) and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. Then throw everything in the crock pot with some chicken broth. Just like eatin' chicken & dumplins...
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8

here is how I cooked em on sunday.

I layed the legs in a baking dish. sprinkled with salt pepper garlic and onion. added about 2 cups of chicken broth.

baked at 225 for almost 8 hours. (it wasn't my intention to bake that long but got home late!)

used the remaining liquid in the pan to make a gravy with a basic poultry gravy mix.

the meat was literally falling off the bone. I couldn't pick up the legs without them falling apart. I was afraid since they cooked so long they would be dry and icky... not at all. with the gravy it was probably my best rabbit so far.

thanks for the recipies... and keep em coming. I have a bunch more bunnies in the freezer to cook up.