Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

Are you required by law to have Insurance on snowmachines in Alaska?

NO, you do not need insurance.

But when you have 130 HP under you, going 60-70 MPH, it's probably a good idea. Liability at least.

Default I think you do...

Look at the back of the paper stub that your registration stickers were attached to. I just put my new stickers on this weekend and saw it there as well.Sleds are registered vehicles unless you live (or operate) in the exception areas listed below.

Copied from the AK DMV Website....

Mandatory Insurance

The Mandatory Insurance Statutes require that the owner of a motor vehicle subject to registration have a liability insurance policy in effect that complies with AS 28.22.101. The minimum amounts for this policy are $50,000/$100,000 for bodily injury or death and $25,000 for property damage. Failure to have the proper insurance may result in a suspension of a driver's license. Insurance is not required in areas where registration is not required. The list of these locations is shown below. EXCEPTION: A driver that has received a ticket for a violation of 6 points or more within the last 5 years must have liability insurance.
    Proof of motor vehicle liability insurance must be in the person's possession at all times when driving a motor vehicle, and they must present the proof for inspection upon demand of a peace officer or other authorized representative of the Department of Public Safety. Your vehicle may be impounded in the Municipality of Anchorage if you do not have proof of insurance. In this case, you would need to contact the Anchorage Police Department for procedures on obtaining your vehicle.
    As required by AS 28.22.011(1)(A) & (B), the following areas are exempt from registration and the Mandatory Insurance law. Compiled by the Department of Administration, Division of Motor Vehicles, from information obtained from the Department of Transportation.
    Adak Afognak Akhiok Akiachak Akiak Akolmiut Akulurak Akutan Alakanuk Alatna Allakaket Amakdedori Ambler Amchitka Aniak Annette Anvik Arctic VillageAtka Atkasuk Attu Baranof Beaver Bell Island Hot Springs Belkofski Belmezok Bettles Bettles Field Biorka Birch Creek Brevig Mission Buckland Candle Canyon Cape Pole Cape Yakataga Chalkyitsik Chandalar Chaniliut Chakaktolik Chase Chatham Cheching Chenik Chefornak Chernofski Chevak Chichagof Chignik Chignik Lagoon Chignik Lake Chisana Christian Chuathbaluk Clark's Point Cold Bay Crooked Creek Deering Diomede Edna Bay Eek Egavik Egegik Ekuk Ekwok Elfin Cove Elim Emanguk Emmonak English Bay Excursion Inlet False Pass FlatFort Yukon Fortuna Lodge GalenaGambellGolovinGoodnews Bay GraylingGustavusHawk Inlet Haycock Holy Cross Hooper Bay HughesHusliaIditarodIguigigIgushikIliamnaIvanoff BayKachemakKaguyakKakhonakKaktovikKalskaggKaltagKa natakKarlukKashegelokKasiglukKatallaKianaKing CoveKing IslandKipnukKivalinaKiwalikKobukKokhanokKokrinesKo liganekKongiganakKotlikKotzebueKoyukKoyukukKvichak KwethlukKwigillinogokKwigukKwinhagakLake Minchumina Larsen Bay LatoucheLevelockLime Village Little Diomede LongLower KalskagMonokatakMarshallMary's Igloo McGrathMedfraMekoryukMeshikMetlakatlaMeyorukMeyers Chuck Moses Point Mt. Village MumtrakNapaimiutNapaiskakNapakiakNelson Lagoon New Stuyanok NewhalenNewtokNightmuteNikolaiNikolskiNoatakNolanN ondaltonNoorvikNuiqsutNulatoNunachuakNunapitchukNu shagakNyacOld Harbor OphirOscarvilleOuzinkieOwl Village Pavlof Harbor Pedro Bay PelicanPennock Island PerryvillePikmiktalikPile Bay Pilot Point Pilot Station Pitka's Point PlatinumPoint Baker Point Hope Point Lay PoormanPort Alexander Port Alsworth Port Ashton Port Graham Port HeidenPort Lions Port Moller Port Wakefield QuinhagakRampartRed Devil RubyRussian Mission St. George St. Mary's St. Michael St. Paul SanakSand PointSavoongaScammon Bay SelawikShagelukShaktoolikSheldon Point ShemyaShismarefShungnakShungnnak Village SkwentnaSleetmuteSnettishamSouth Naknek Squaw Harbor StebbinesStevens Village Stony River StuyahokTakotnaTaku Harbor TananaTanunakTatitlekTenakee SPrings TetlinTin City ToddTogiakTokeenToksook Bay TuluksakTuntutuliakTununakTwin Hills TyonekUgashikUmiatUnalakleetUngaVenetieWainwrightW alesWhite MountainWisemanWoody Island REV. 6/16/05

i dont have insurance on my machine, and have never been asked about it.. And technically i am supposed to be carring it since i have a loan on it.. Call me wreckless. DMV can suck my big toe.

Capt G
    The requirement you're citing applies to highway vehicles.

ATVs, snowmachines, and boats do not require insurance as a prerequisite for registration.

Now if a machine is financed, your lender can certainly require insurance as a condition of the loan.

Default Insurance

Why would you have a machine that could cost between $6,000 and $10,000 and not have insurance? Both of our snow machines are insured and it only runs about $22/mo/machine. Same with our four wheelers.
    It may not be required but there is a curtain amout of personal responsibility.

Dont think the law requires it, but most banks do when they loan you the money to buy one.

who is good company for snomobile insurance? i heard some won't insure you if you dont already have auto insurance from them, any truth to that?

I have my machines insured through USAA.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Other providers

I have all my equipment insured through Country Insurance. Before the lodge I used State Farm. It's under $100 per year per machine, and I carry extra insuance and liability on them. If your lender requires it, and you drop it, your lender will put it's own insurance on it and not even tell you! It's spendy. I found out, because State Farm forgot to report to Alaska USA, and Alaska USA sent me a letter saying I was now insured through them, without any notification.

I'd rather not have any, but this is the world we live in....
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Why would you have a machine that could cost between $6,000 and $10,000 and not have insurance? Both of our snow machines are insured and it only runs about $22/mo/machine. Same with our four wheelers.
    It may not be required but there is a curtain amout of personal responsibility.
    Just curious, have you been with your carrier a while?

Reason I ask is we are getting hit with about 100 a month, total that is, for two new machines ('10), and now I am wondering if I should keep on shopping...

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Alaska USA sent me a letter saying I was now insured through them, without any notification.
    if you had insurance then they (AKUSA) can't charge you for the new policy....

Quote Originally Posted by Lastonefishing View Post
    and now I am wondering if I should keep on shopping...
    absolutely keep shopping....that's pretty darn high...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default correction...

As noted, I did have insurance, but the insurance company did not report it to the bank. AKUSA did put the insurance on, but was waived once my insurance company gave them the proper paperwork.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i used to have all mine insured through my home owners policy too...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here