Thread: Caswell land

Default Caswell land

howdy folks,

I have been looking (online) at some properties up in the caswell lakes area... it is a phased development... the pics look decent... the prices are very reasonable but NONE of the properties have moved in the last 4 months I've been watching...

Does anyone have any experience with property or land up in that area?? what am I missing??

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    howdy folks,

I have been looking (online) at some properties up in the caswell lakes area... it is a phased development... the pics look decent... the prices are very reasonable but NONE of the properties have moved in the last 4 months I've been watching...

Does anyone have any experience with property or land up in that area?? what am I missing??

Greg
    Mayhaps the sprawling number of Meth labs/clientele off of that road is a factor....

I used to go back in there to fish/hunt...But MAN have some of the places have gotten a lil' too, um, Appalachia meets Scarface for my tastes...

Some nice land up there to be sure...But I'd not leave anything of value unattended there for more than 10 minutes...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

RMK

Default Caswell

Hey Greg,

I looked around the Caswell area last year. I eventually got something in Willow instead. The downside that I can see, is that the lots are tiny. I noticed that a lot of people buy two, three, or four to come up with a decent sized lot. It looks like it was subdivided with the thought of maximum return per acre.

I also talked to a state trooper who told me there is plenty of crime out that way. I suppose that's the case anywhere on the road system these days.

I do know a couple people with cabins out that way, and they seem to like it. Of course one of them is behind the gate at Eagle's Nest, and the other one is way off the beaten path down a trail.

You might consider stopping in to Sheep Creek Lodge and asking some of the locals what they think.

Good Luck.

Things have been getting better in Caswell. The state trooper that lives at the end of Hidden Hills helps. Pressure from full-time residents helps. That said, we just had another rash of cabin break-ins in the area and it seems to be an annual event. I know of one guy that will have his place for sale because he is tired of being ripped off.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

He should be thankful his cabin did not get burn down. There was someone who lives in the area that likes to burn cabins.

There is also a family up there that think they own all the land and you do not want to get on there bad side.

Default Caswell Lots

Greg,

Much like you, I thought it was a nice area at first and the prices were reasonable. After some research, a few visits and talking to other folks we discovered way to many problems such as theft, meth labs and we ran into people we didn't want as neighbors. Unless you lived there all the time, your stuff would come up missing. I can just imagine leaving a load of building materials on your lot to use for the next weekend and discovering everything missing on your next trip.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

You know whats REALLY cool about living here as long and as many places as i have?

i can say ...

i peed on a lot of that land before people lived there

and in several spots... DON"T DIG too deep
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default hmmm

good insight folks.... thats too bad about the meth and theft issues... like everyone else up here I'm looking for a decent access property from anchorage.... I'm not seeing a whole lot out there.. even at really high prices

I have been checking realtor sites, the daily snooze, and craigslist. Anyone know of other places to look for properties for sale???

thanks

greg

Default Try this one....

http://www.remoteproperties.com/

You may want to contact the forum member here AKDSLDOG (Curt) as he is listing a recreational cabin in the Trapper Creek area that might suit your needs.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    .... I'm not seeing a whole lot out there.. even at really high prices greg

Roughly what price range......? I have some top shelf property available, 75 minutes South of Los Anchorage.

One of the problems with Caswell Acres is there is a glut of lots, and the true price does not go up, ever.......Infact when adjusted for inflation they maybe 1/3 of original offered price.

You might want to try Landinalaska.com.

Default thanks

thanks for the resources...

I'm looking at 5 or 10 acres (give or take some) and if I can keep it under $50K that would be good.

thanks

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie;602404[U
    ][/U]You may want to contact the forum member here AKDSLDOG (Curt) as he is listing a recreational cabin in the Trapper Creek area that might suit your needs.
    I believe Curt's property is sold...

My cabin has sold.......

Thanks
    Curt

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    My cabin has sold.......

Thanks
    Curt
    Bittersweet congrats man. I would have a really tough time letting mine go.

Mike

When buying land look at resell, location, infrastructure, family special needs, access, future access, and neighbors. Then weigh it all out. Sometimes, the best fishing/hunting is not priority one. Do you want to worry about it once in a while or all the time?

Mike