Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Late, late season black bear hunt....

  1. #1
    Member Arcticwildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    578

    Default Late, late season black bear hunt....

    A buddy of mine has been up on the slope for the past 6 weeks and wants to go on a hunt with his son down on the Kenai (where his son lives). He left early today to hunt the Cooper Lake area but supposedly ran into 3-6 inches of snow. He called me up bummed about the snow and asked for suggestions for other nearby areas.

    I'm at a loss as I told him he was about 2 weeks too late IMO. About the only place I can think of to send him is down by Homer on the Fox River Flats area. I don't hunt the Kenai Peninsula so I can only guess where is a good spot at this time of year.

    Anybody have any advice I can pass on? I suggested some areas up north but he just drove down to the peninsula today and doesn't want to turn around and drive 5+ hours back up to the valley.

    I appreciate any help I can pass on.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    421

    Default

    I would tell him if he can get across the bay to go over to Jackalof Bay, the bears I saw this fall were pretty skinny and might still be out. I'm not in town anymore so I don't know what the conditions are though.

    Tell him good luck

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    If I may ask, where did he see the snow? All the way up by Cooper Lake, or was it down to the road in the Kenai Lake area?

  4. #4
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    there won't be any blackies on the fox river flats, maybe a brownie or two..
    blackies (if they are still up) will be in the alpine just below the snowline. snow is down to about 2000', i'd guess, not much space between the alders and the snow.
    i did an insignificant bit of glassing today but the clouds were too low to see the berry patches....oh, and they were pretty snowy looking clouds, too.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  5. #5

    Default Snow

    Curious where he ran into the snow as well......I saw 4 black bears while driving the road from Anchorage to Summit Lake last Friday. 3 were way up high and 1 was down low about 200yds from the road!

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK
    Posts
    694

    Default Tuesday

    On Tuesday I was back by lake George flying and saw about 10 bears in an hour which is good. I was talking to my partner that eats about 5 bear a year that I saw a 7 foot black bear wear we hunted this may. There are still alot of bears outs, but as the snow comes down the mountains you will see less. By the way going Goat hunting and flying out there on Saturday and would not mind a second. PM me

    Terry

  7. #7
    Member .338-06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,045

    Default Drove to Kenai

    And back today. It was snowing in Turnagin Pass, but just a light dusting on the ground with nothing on the road. Little snow in Summit pass, no snow on the ground past Quartz Creek, no snow below treeline from Kenai Lake to Kenai itself. Thats how it was at 7pm, 10/25 anyway.

  8. #8
    Member Arcticwildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    578

    Default

    Not sure exactly where he ran into snow. My guess would be up high near Cooper Lake as that was where they were supposedly going.

    If the weather this morning in Wasilla (33 degrees and rain), is the same down on the Peninsula, I bet the snow level is way down now.

    I'm guessing he figured out somewhere to go as his cell is off and I can't reach him now.


    Thanks for the help guys!

  9. #9

    Wink

    Saw one this week on Bald Ridge north of Wasilla. He had already dug in and was hanging just outside the den. Appeared to be lethargic and didn't even raise his head.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •