Thread: Hideen Lake and a Canoe

Default Hideen Lake and a Canoe

I want to catch a lake trout and don't want to wait for ice fishing. They are tough to catch from shore but all I have is a canoe. Lake Louise seems a bit rough for a canoe and a long drive but I was thinking of taking it to hidden lake. don't get wrong I am not thinking of paddeling clear to Explorer island or paddling strait down the center of the lake. I thought I would cruse the shore out in front of the camp ground. I don't know how the lake is this time of year, if I travel from anchorage am I likely to find strong winds and a three foot chop if so I will go to Byers lake instead. I guess what I am wandering is if it would be worth it to take the canoe clear down to hidden lake on the Kenai or would I drive the 110 miles to find out I cant use it.

We do get alot of wind here this time of year and that lake can get ugly quick! But, it usually does not blow all day and night either. Early mornings are generally clam enough to get out. Just keep a good eye on the weather as it can come up quickly. It's been many years, but I used to fish Hidden with a canoe.

Thanks I might drive down Saturday and give it a try, if it is to rough I can drive to another lake and try. Is summit lake Ice free still???

Default be careful...

I have seen 3' waves on Hidden Lake, the came up in a hury when the wind kicked in. Just be willing and prepared to hit the beach and wait it out.

Default still ice free

Summit was still ice free Sun Morning

Default Be very cautious with Hidden

I lost a great friend who was kayaking in Hidden and got overcome by the weather. Be very cautious on Hidden Lake and don't even think about going out without a PFD!!!

Also as a member of the Soldotna Dive Rescue team, I have many hours under water at Hidden, while the water is quite shallow right out from the launch and to the left, it is very deep, very quickly to the right. There is good structure for fishing nonetheless. Good luck and be safe.

by the way, there are strong winds in the forcast over the next few days for SouthCentral.

let us know you did, thats my favorite lake and i might still to fish it with lake boat yet this year!

Release Lake Trout

Because it is big and deep it stays open pretty late in the season. You should have some time left to fish it. I have had my best fall laker fishing for spawners in the shallower bays pulling (trolling) a Rapala. The outlet and the bay in front of the campground have yielded fish regularly.