Thread: Fire forming 730 waters brass

Default Fire forming 730 waters brass

Can someone help me with the correct way to fire form 730 waters brass out of 30-30-Win. brass?

I don't have any firsthand experience with that caliber, but I believe you simply run .30-30 brass through a 7-30 Waters sizing die to neck it down, trim and chamfer the case mouths, then load and shoot.

If you're loading for a rifle and using new brass, no problems really. Just run them into the die, load and fire. Following first firing, trim to length, chamfer and use as factory originals.

If they've been fired a few times before reforming to 7-30 waters, the brass may be hardened a bit. No real problem sizing, but the shoulders might not fill out to full form upon firing. They'll need to be annealed to resoften the brass, but after that, no problem. As a matter of course I anneal all fired brass before reforming to a new caliber.

If you're making up the loads for a handgun, often they have much closer tolerances for their chambers than lever rifles. I'd form and trim just one, load and fire it with a moderate load, then try an experiment. Try dropping a bullet into the fired case. It should fall right in. If it hangs up, the case walls have thickened too much when you sized down. It's rare, but I've seen both happen. You'll have to thin the case necks. Not really a problem with the right equipment, but you're going to need the equipment.

Sweet round. I rue the day I let my 94 go. I've got them in most of the other calibers based on the 30-30 case, and no 7-30 just seems like a glaring hole.

Not part of your question, but if you ever see one in 25-35, grab your wallet fast. The older versions are scarce, expensive, and generally not something you want to shoot a lot. But just before they pulled the plug Winchester let go a run of them, and if you can find them, they're outstanding shooters and not so expensive that you wince at every scratch and ding. I formed 200 cases for mine, but didn't follow my own advice above. Loaded them all without checking trim length, and it turned out they were just enough too long that the case mouth was shoving up against the front of the chamber, preventing it from opening fully on firing. The first round was overpressure as a result, and I had to do penance for my sins. I'm here to tell you that it's not fun to pull 199 bullets, dump the powder, trim and reload. Now it's awfully hard to make a trip to the range without shooting up the whole lot of 199 rounds. It's just way too much fun to shoot!

Thanks Mike T. and Brown bear for the answer. I have loaded for several years but never fire formed any brass. The 730 Waters I have is a T.C. Contender pistol. A very sweet shooting gun. My brass was getting scrapy and I had several 30-30 cases that I do not reload. I'll recycle these into something I can use. Thanks again for your help.