Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man entrappers

Thumbs down Man entrappers

Went out Swanson River Road this morning for a final spruce hen hunt. We walk up the side trails and roads, and generally do well. I was driving along right before Silver Lake trail when I saw an interesting sight: a spruce chicken with its head down, stock still. Very unusual, because they are so flighty this time of the year. I opened my window to yell at it and nothing. Maybe it had died of a heart attack! Then I got out (without a firearm I might add) to see what was up. It was a stuffed chicken on a wooden base! It had ADFG written on the bottom. I laughed, put it back down, and got back into my truck, knowing I was being watched. Peering into the Silver Lake trail parking lot we saw a white ADFG truck as discretely parked as possible.

After walking up another trail (and bagging no chickens), we headed back, and this time there were two stuffed chickens there! Another truck was approaching very slowly, and I signaled him that it wasn't legit. Had to laugh at the desperation of the wardens to bust someone this time of year. Wished I'd had a pink flamingo to set up alongside the little flock.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL they do that up here with whole moose....

i always wanted to sneak up on it in the dark and be riding it with a bowe held over its head, when they could see lt....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Question where's yer camera?

Aw... no pictures?

I wish they would do that on oil well road.......

One of the troopers in Willow said he has had guys shoot them with a 12 GAUGE!! Really ruins their dummies.

Years ago I had 3 great uncles down in northern Calif. They loved hunting, but loved playing tricks more. They used to go pheasant hunting and come back and put the heads on sticks just above the top of the grain in the field. Said they got all kinds of rigs locking up their breaks and bailing out to blow the heads off the sticks. They'd get to laughing so hard telling the stories they'd have to grab O2.

Just so I know, what is the warden watching for?

Most likely shooting on from or across the drivable surface of the road.

Talking

man I should have went to school longer, then I could have a job where I sit in a car and sip a cup of coffee while watching a dummy try to shoot a dummy in the center of a gravel road. I wonder if the dummy shooter ever feels sad for shooting one of his own. LOL

Wink

Man, I hope he's still up there the rest of the week. I'm thinking about going hunting. Yep, going to take my "flusher" along and when we see them birds in the road, we'll park, get off the road in a ready to hunt position, then send the dog to flush them birds off the roadway for us. Have to set up a dash-cam to capture the whole thing, inlcluding the dog "catching" the bird and bringing it back. Wonder how far along you'd have to get before said F&G Officer shows himself to stop it?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Creek View Post
    Just so I know, what is the warden watching for?
    I have a little experience to draw from on this one......They are primarily watching out for; shooting from, across, or on a constructed road surface, shooting from a vehicle, hunting during a closed season, and unlawful method of hunting. This is a law enforcement tactic used frequently on Swanson River Road, Skilak Loop Road, etc., and any other popular road hunting locale. Put your binos on them and make sure their real. If they are not, stalk it, get close, kick it off the road surface, step off the road surface, and shoot it. Just kidding a little! =)

Default doughnuts

Or you could stop and set out a dozen doughnuts and see if you can bait some troopers in. Remember to only photograph not shooting. They're not in season right now.

Default doughnuts

hahahahaha
    and i say it is the 50 inch rule that stopped me from hunting
    what wont they do

Default sayak

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ...Another truck was approaching very slowly, and I signaled him that it wasn't legit. Had to laugh at the desperation of the wardens to bust someone this time of year. Wished I'd had a pink flamingo to set up alongside the little flock.
    First off, kudos for trying to kick the bird off.

But, why would you warn that person of the stuffed grouse? If that "hunter" is going to break the law, then he should get busted for it.

Default We may disagree on that rip

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    First off, kudos for trying to kick the bird off.

But, why would you warn that person of the stuffed grouse? If that "hunter" is going to break the law, then he should get busted for it.
    ... and this is probably going to draw me some fire, but I have to confess that I don't believe in entrapment. If a hunter encounters an animal in an illegal situation naturally and passes it by, then good for him. But to create a tempting situation unnaturally just to entrap someone is not ethical. The entrappers are no more noble than the ones they entrap. Just my opinion, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me necessarily.

If I ever come upon that situation again, I may just shout "Thanks!" into the woods, grab the bird and race for home with my new mantle piece.

Default Sayak

I see what you mean.

I encountered one a couple weeks ago along the road and thot it would be funny to roll out of the passenger side of the pickup and take the decoy out with the knife. Then see what kind of reaction I get from the Law. Prolly destruction of State property, but would be funny to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... and this is probably going to draw me some fire, but I have to confess that I don't believe in entrapment. If a hunter encounters an animal in an illegal situation naturally and passes it by, then good for him. But to create a tempting situation unnaturally just to entrap someone is not ethical. The entrappers are no more noble than the ones they entrap. Just my opinion, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me necessarily.

If I ever come upon that situation again, I may just shout "Thanks!" into the woods, grab the bird and race for home with my new mantle piece.

How is it entrapment? The hunter makes the decision to break the law. If the hunter passes it by LIKE you did then that shows integrity. I was driving down Petersville just the other day and there was a grouse hoping along. I stopped and looked at it and was tempted but I agreed to the regulations when I got my license and moved on. I know not everyone is like me but bad hunters spoil it for the rest us and we should not put up with it. By folks breaking the laws causes increased fines and punishment when it continues.
    The fish and game folks though can me tough however thats thier job; to keep hunters in line.

I had a buddy poke a few holes in thier lynx mount one time. I can just imagine his surprized expression as the warden yanked the rifle out the window of his truck.

Lost a rifle and got a ticket over that one.

Serves him right though.

Wonder when they will start putting decoy road signs up and catch those road hunters?

I have a client that is retired New Mexico Game and Fish and the stories he can tell. One was of a guy stopped and shooting a deer decoy from the hood of his truck. A car pulls up and gets frustrated with the guy missing and takes the gun out of his hands and shoots at the decoy some more. Two for the price of one...

Funny stuff but good on you for hunting with honor.

George

Default Is it entrapment

... if I leave something on the hood of my truck and you drive by, decide to stop, and steal it?
    Is it entrapment if I leave my chainsaw in my front yard, you drive by, stop and steal it?
    What about stuff in my boat? It's open. Can't hardly lock up a 20' open boat. But you can see all of my gear when you cruise by.
    I have a feeling Sayak that my stuff is all safer with you than a bunch of guys. I think, just maybe, your ethics and standards are at the upper end of good.
    Through life people get to make choices. Some choose poorly. I'd feel much worse for the guy that gets a ticket for something "gray". In this case, the guy gets no sorrow pangs from me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast