Thread: 300 wsm

Default 300 wsm

I was thinking of getting one for my wife, I'm wandering if that would be better than 30-06. Ammo availability is non issue for me, more interested in performance

I use one, before the muzzle brake, it was a little sharp on recoil. Not so bad I couldn't handle it, but not a fun gun to shoot. But I also have a light weight Remington SPS, in a light synthetic stock. With a heavier stock, it might tame it down a little as well.

As for performance versus a 06, its a little faster, but I don't think you're going to gain alot of performance while using the same bullets. Might extend your range another 100 yds, if you've got the ability to shoot it that far.

I got one for my wife, Tikka T-3 Lite, sweet little gun. The recoil was just to much for her so now I have a new Tikka T-3 Lite. Thinking I might get her a 375H&H next. Seriously I'd go smaller than a 300wsm, don't let'em fool ya it's got a bit of a bite to it.

The 300 wsm has become a very popular rifle and ammo can be picked up pretty easliy.

The wsm will reach out there farther and flatter than the 30-06. The few 300 wsm's I've shot (Sako 75, Sako 85, and Weatherby Vanguard) have all shot 1" groups. The 300 wsm will take down any animal in AK and will perform better on brownies if you have the opportunity.

I don't own a 300 wsm but have seen a 6' blackie taken with one and have a couple freinds who have taken a good number of animals with rave reviews for the 300 wsm.

When I get a little spare money I'll be putting a 300 wsm in my hunting line up.

I've had one for a couple of years now and like it quite a bit. Several of my friends have moved to it as well- generally in sheep or mountain type rifles. I will agree that it is becoming relatively popular and I've been able to find ammo every place I've looked. Availability of factory rounds is excellent- you can find factory loads with about any reasonable hunting bullet you'd imagine. It's a fair bit hotter than an '06 and on par with most .300WM ammo. With 200gr. and up bullets and hot reloads the .300WM has an edge but not enough for me to worry much about it. Not much selection of cheap blastin' ammo but these aren't pleasant enough to shoot that you'll do it a lot anyhow.

You can also get the .300WSM in some really nice, lightweight rifles that make for easy carrying.

Regardless of whether the 300wsm is a good caliber, you mention its for your wife. You need to figure out whether she enjoys shooting such a caliber. If she's uncomfortable shooting it she'll never shoot it well regardless of whether its a good caliber.

My wife is 5'5", 115lbs and can handle a gun with a pretty good kick. I have a 300wby that I shoot and its kicks pretty good. While she can handle it she doesn't enjoy shooting it and this results in her flinching sometimes. That being said, she outshoots me with my 270win. It doesn't kick as much and she shoots it really well.

Anyway, just suggesting that you find out what she is comfortable shooting first.

I didn't read you other thread on the same subject recoil may not be an issue for you. Maybe you should have the two threads combined.

Smile maybe...

It shoots the same bullets as the 30-06 and .308 Win. Just shoots them faster. Needs a longer barrel to do it. Probably recoils more, depending on rifle weight. If you think the extra velocity will allow her to put more animals on the ground then do it, if she prefers it over the other 2 and it comes in a easy packing rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    It shoots the same bullets as the 30-06 and .308 Win. Just shoots them faster. Needs a longer barrel to do it. Probably recoils more, depending on rifle weight. If you think the extra velocity will allow her to put more animals on the ground then do it, if she prefers it over the other 2 and it comes in a easy packing rifle.
    Right on all counts except needing a longer barrel. The short mags dont need longer barrels. Browning sells them in 23" tubes.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by t-storm View Post
    I was thinking of getting one for my wife, I'm wandering if that would be better than 30-06. Ammo availability is non issue for me, more interested in performance
    Not sure what you mean by better, but it will shoot flatter, hit harder and penetrate farther. The average velocity difference between the two is about 200-300 fps. If she's OK with the recoil, go for it.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by GITDEMBARS View Post
    I got one for my wife, Tikka T-3 Lite, sweet little gun. The recoil was just to much for her so now I have a new Tikka T-3 Lite. Thinking I might get her a 375H&H next. Seriously I'd go smaller than a 300wsm, don't let'em fool ya it's got a bit of a bite to it.
    Nothing wrong with either decision, but recoil is a reality we all deal with in various ways. You can expect a 30/06 to recoil with about 22 foot pounds of fee recoil and a 300 WSM will have about 30. Now whatever these numbers mean, and I agree these are not absolutes, a 300 WSM is going to have about 40% more recoil in the same weight rifle. If recoil is not a problem, why not drop another pound from an '06 and carry a lighter rifle? Not arguing about which is better, but I doubt she'll ever shoot an animal that knows the difference in the two. However any shooter can tell the difference in firing them in the same weight rifle.

I have had a 300wsm and currently own a 270wsm. The 270 is a lot sweeter to shoot - if you don't mind dropping back in diameter a little.....

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    ... If recoil is not a problem, why not drop another pound from an '06 and carry a lighter rifle?
    Because the 300 WSM is just plain badder and will soon be the next All American gun

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Because the 300 WSM is just plain badder and will soon be the next All American gun
    Please MR, not again. I am uncertain that my carpal tunnel can take another thread on the WSMs and the '06.

If I was buying my wife a rifle for AK, I think I would go .308. She does not shoot enough to warrant something for long range. Easy to reload, ammo is available, and you can get them as light or as heavy as you want.