Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats a good caliber for my wife?

Default whats a good caliber for my wife?

I want to get my wife a gun for christmas, looking for something special, maybe custom or at least high grade. She hunts for everything from deer to moose and is interested in being able to shoot long range,(400 yds.). I already bought a 264 win mag in a supergrade m70 but was thinking maybe 300wsm might be better for her. recoil is not a big issue as long as its not a 338.

Seems you may have answered it already; another super grade 300 WM or WSM?
    Or, if you want something different, maybe a sako 300 mag. How about the 85 Grey Wolf (stainless/laminate) for foul weather hunting with great accuracy?

What about a 7mm-08 or a .280? Plenty of performance, in a user friendly package.

let her choose...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I would have to agree with ret25yo. Why not let her choose what she wants.

That being said, if recoil is not an issue, what about a 300wby accumark with a muzzle break. I have one and can't say enough about it. Definitely one of the best guns I've had my hands on.

Admit it you don't want to give her the 264. Take her to a good shop and tell her the sky is the limit

Maybe a DPMS LR-308-B would be the ticket. Ok it might be kind of heavy to carry but lots of fun to shoot I imagine.

my wife had a ruger n1 308 cal rifle that was reworked with a nice stock and forend and a short 18.inchs barrel set up with a leupold -x-3.x-x-9.-x-40mm scope mounted on it .. ..she used all the time when we hunted ..she like it for it was lite and easly to carrie ..for she was only 5.ft even and wieghed about 110.pds and and she could use it without any problems ..

Ruger hawkeye stainless in 35 Whelen,less recoil than the 300 mags with alot of stomp inside 250yds.

Quote Originally Posted by t-storm View Post
    I want to get my wife a gun for christmas, looking for something special, maybe custom or at least high grade. She hunts for everything from deer to moose and is interested in being able to shoot long range,(400 yds.). I already bought a 264 win mag in a supergrade m70 but was thinking maybe 300wsm might be better for her. recoil is not a big issue as long as its not a 338.

I would go for the 308 Winchester. 110 grainers for target practice (handloaded).....and take ur pick of any premium 180 grain load and be able to hunt anything in AK effectively.

While never one to put down a new gun purchase, I have to ask...

What's wrong with the .264????

Excepting the big bears the round, with an appropriate bullet is perfect for just about anything she may wish to hunt.

My wife shoots lots and has access to anything in my racks as well as her own guns. She "grew up on" a 7x57 with handloads, so maybe that formed some of her preferences.

But after shooting her way up and down the selection of calibers that I own, she's settled on the 7mm Rem Mag as her "big gun." She vastly prefers it recoil-wise to the 300 Win Mag and shoots it well with all bullet weights. It might not be a "bear" gun, but if 160 or 175 Nosler Partitions aren't enough for everything up to moose, there must be a new breed of animals moving into Alaska these days.

Best of all, if you're not a handloader the rounds are readily available, including premium bullet loads. In her opinion it doesn't recoil all that much more than an 06, but shoots considerably flatter.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

My wife shoots my 300 wm just fine and i gave her my sako 7mm this year as well... but she prefers my ... MY! 300
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    While never one to put down a new gun purchase, I have to ask...

What's wrong with the .264????

Excepting the big bears the round, with an appropriate bullet is perfect for just about anything she may wish to hunt.
    good point, I think I'll put a swarovski on it and wrap it up. Thanks for everyones input. ( i hope she hates it and gives it back).

A .308 would be nice, but perhaps not the best to hunt large game such as moose at 400 yards. Within 300 yards? It should be fine. Something different would be a .338 Federal, or a .338-06.

Quote Originally Posted by t-storm View Post
    good point, I think I'll put a swarovski on it and wrap it up. Thanks for everyones input. ( i hope she hates it and gives it back).
    I think we all love to give caliber recommendations or turn someone on to "our" favorites...

I just had to ask because it sounded like you had already purchased the "ideal" caliber for your wife or 95% of the rest of us for that matter and the hunting we do.

Best of luck with your gift to your wife and don't be terribly disappointed when she doesn't give it back...

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    let her choose...
    +1

A custom rifle with a stock that's fitted to her would be a really nice present. I know many ladies have trouble with stocks made for the average guy.

Brett

Thumbs up 270 WSM or 300 WSM

I have a Win 70 in 300 WSM that I put a KDF Muzzlebrake on it so my 15 year son could shoot it. Boy did it make a difference in the recoil......I put a Bell Carlson Medalist stock on it and Harris bipod and he can shoot it with one hand at the range........with 180gr Failsafe bullets and W760 @ 68.0.....he is ready for next moose season.
    Alaska

I agree on the 264. It'll do anything you want it to as described. I'd sure take it if you gave it to me for Christmas. (But don't hold your breath for a thankyou kiss!).

I wish I never had got rid of my 300wm, by far my favorite round. Several guys have hit it on this one though, let her pick and get the gun sized for her! In my experience it's not so much recoil that posses a problem for smaller shooters it's ill fitting stocks!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast