Thread: Where to hunt?

Default Where to hunt?

Hello, Where would you hunt if it was your first trip to Alaska? I am coming up next year. I am thinking on Caribou in unit 23 or deer and bear on POW island. Thanks Jim...............

black bear ..unit 16

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Well I guess it comes down to what you are looking to hunt and how much you are willing to spend. The two areas you are talking about would be like I'm looking to hunt deer in South Dakota or gaters in Florida. Need to breakdown what you are wanting to get out of the hunt a little better in order to get some suggestions.

What Alaska_Lanche said. Also, what are you willing to spend? How long of a trip are you going to be taking? etc...

JMHO but I would hunt Pa. For all its game and with the money you save not coming here use it promote keeping hunting alive at home. Help prove to your state the value of bear hunting there and help with ideas to keep the bear population going so your children and grandchildren can hunt them.

Default Where to hunt in Alaska?

I have 2 weeks planned for Alaska. We are looking for a non guided hunt for Caribou or bear on POW.

Quote Originally Posted by PA_Hunter View Post
    I have 2 weeks planned for Alaska. We are looking for a non guided hunt for Caribou or bear on POW.
    It's very difficult for someone else to make this recommendation for you. Both areas offer good hunts with solid success rates. What kind of terrain would you prefer to hunt? Arctic tundra or coastal rainforest? I'm assuming that the caribou hunt will cost you a bit more due to the flight costs, but I've never hunted Southeast, so I could be wrong.

Default Several Hunts

I've done several hunts in Alaska (I'm a NY resident and raised in PA) and the best advice I can give is - if you want to hunt black bear - I would come in May - say May 5 to 15 (or thereabouts).

Phil Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I've done several hunts in Alaska (I'm a NY resident and raised in PA) and the best advice I can give is - if you want to hunt black bear - I would come in May - say May 5 to 15 (or thereabouts).

Phil Stewart
    Well there's your answer PA_Hunter. Come up for black bears in May and Caribou in Sept.

Default Alaska lanche

Sounds like a plan to me. And a good one.

Phil Stewart