Thread: moving to Juneau should I buy used in the lower 48?

Default moving to Juneau should I buy used in the lower 48?

I am moving to Juenau this winter from Montana. To get the most out of SE AK we will definitely need a boat. Our needs are for a safe cabin cruiser that will sleep at least 4....one that is economical both in operation and in purchase price.
    We can only afford used....and very used at that.
    Here are two examples of what I am seeing that are within our price range:
    http://montana.craigslist.org/boa/1436134749.html
    http://montana.craigslist.org/boa/1408939441.html

Any thoughts on whether I should buy down here and bring up on the ferry our buy up there?
    Also any thoughts / advice is appreciated not just on these boats but what I should be looking for, etc.
    thanx

Default Tough Question to Answer

There are lots of older boats (just like the boats in the links) up here in Juneau but few that are in "step-aboard - drive away" condition. You may be fortunate to find one that fits the bill for you that doesn't need a lot of mechanical work but I believe it would be an exception. Our salt-water environment and winter weather take their toll. (There may also be some engine cooling problems associated with bringing an older boat with only freshwater use up and using it in salt-water.)

Bringing a boat north will not be inexpensive whether by barge or by ferry so that IS a consideration. Maybe the best thing to do is spend some time up here first. Few boats sell between now and next spring but you can get an idea of what is available and if nothing fits your needs you can always use your Montana knowledge and contacts to collect a suitable boat and bring it up. Best of luck with your search!

For that price you will be hard pressed finding a running boat in that boat category in Alaska. You would be able to find a good open boat for that price that might need some work but nothing with a cabin or galley.

Usually for a boat with a cabin and sleeping galley you will need to spend a minimum of $10,000 for one in running condition that will more than likely still require work.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

thanx for the input. I will probably wait but if I come across the right boat down here it will be hard to pass up on. I will definitely figure in the $64/foot it will cost to put the boat/trailer on the ferry.

Its minimum of $64/ft on the trailer if it is wider than 8' its another 25% for 8'6" and another 25% on that for 9' wide. The barge in Seattle is a flat $95/ft. Boats like you are looking at seem to be really good prices those boats in Juneau are 7-10k. The Glasply is the boat to have of the two you are looking at Juneau has lots of Glasplys around they were well built sea worthy boats.

Both outfits measure exact total lenght the boat may be a 21' but its got a 2' bow anchor roller and a 2' outdrive and the trailer tongue sticks out 3' your 21' is charged for a 21+2+2+3=28

Welcome to Juneau.

If this is your first boat purchase, then you may be surprised to find out how much money it may take to get a boat this old into shape. If the structure is good (no rot, etc.), and you are good turning a wrench, then maybe it may not be too bad. Using an engine in saltwater that's only seen fresh water should not be a problem. I see that the trailers are painted and not galvanized. At some point in the future after you've dunked it in saltwater several times, you will need a galvanized trailer (I speak from experience). But given how cheap these boats seem to be, and if it doesn't cost too much to barge it up here, if things don't work out for you then I wouldn't be surprised to find that you could sell it enough up here to make up for what you spent on it. But with boats, you never know.

this is all good advise and I appreciate it.

You should at least talk to Alaska Boat Brokers (Dave, I think). I did not buy from him but he showed me a few boats in Juneau when I was looking for a boat. I have not dealt with many boat brokers, but he was a nice guy and no pressure. Seemed like a nice guy that just likes to talk about boats. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Go for Price

I looked at a lot of boats that I thought where in my price range $10k to $12k before I found one. 1982 22' Bayliner with 700hr on 4cyl VP, excellent maintained boat, sure needed some upgrades, GPS, VHF, I added a Wallas Cook top stove, sterio and extra fuel. Got it for $10k investment now is $13k. Make sure it has heat exchanger system for cooling, some ran straight fleshwater into the engine. system don't care if salt or fresh. The 2nd one is a great hull, heavy and stable, Bayliners are built light.
    Seen some super deals in Juneau, but salt and winter can be very hard on them, but so can fresh if it's not taken care of, mine was super taken care of.
    Buy what you can afford, and with some sweat you to can have a great time on the water.