Thread: Bear Grease

Default Bear Grease

I want to know if anyone has any ideas for bear grease that is, unfortunately, not edible. I just got done rendering it, and now I have about 9 pints of dark yellow grease which has a disagreeable taste. I made a test batch of biscuits last night, and my dog loved them, but my husband and I did not, and now I have all this grease that I can't use for baking.

I know it can be used to soften leather boots, and has been used as a lamp oil in the past. I am afriad if I try to burn it as lamp oil, it will put off an offensive odor. If nothing else, I will just use it to make dog food.

Does anyone have any ideas about what else I can use this for? Also, I have not tried the meat from this bear yet. Is the flavor of the fat a good indicator of whether the meat is going to be any good? I know fall bears are generally to be avoided for food, but the opportunity presented itself so I took it. Again, if the meat is gross, my dog will be happy....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by southeast stephanie View Post
    I want to know if anyone has any ideas for bear grease that is, unfortunately, not edible. I just got done rendering it, and now I have about 9 pints of dark yellow grease which has a disagreeable taste. I made a test batch of biscuits last night, and my dog loved them, but my husband and I did not, and now I have all this grease that I can't use for baking.

I know it can be used to soften leather boots, and has been used as a lamp oil in the past. I am afriad if I try to burn it as lamp oil, it will put off an offensive odor. If nothing else, I will just use it to make dog food.

Does anyone have any ideas about what else I can use this for? Also, I have not tried the meat from this bear yet. Is the flavor of the fat a good indicator of whether the meat is going to be any good? I know fall bears are generally to be avoided for food, but the opportunity presented itself so I took it. Again, if the meat is gross, my dog will be happy....

i am not sure of your grease but i always remove the fat of the game. as i have found it to carry the stored flavors of summers feeding.

slow Cook your bear meat and give it a shot... it could be there in SE you got a particularly fishy one and may not likeit... but

DONT let one spoil your pallet. Black Bear is one of the best meats around. just remember it is DENSER then moose or beef and cooks slower and longer to break down the mussel fiber.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've had good bear meat, but I know that sometimes they are terrible, so we'll just wait and see. I'm hoping that at the very least, we can corn it or make sausage out of it. My husband has killed two fall bears years ago. One was WONDERFUL, and he said the other was completely inedible. I don't know what this bear I just shot was eating, but she came running to the deer call, so she at least has been going after fawns, but we're not sure if the nearby stream had humpies or not. I'm going to corn some soon, and I'll post what happens with it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

how do you corn it? i have 2 hams left from our fall bear would love to have some tips
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Corning meat

I have only ever corned deer, using Morton's blend which contains saltpeter. You have to brine and measure the Mortons precisely according to the weight of the meat you are going to corn. This method only takes a few days, but it was really good for the deer. My friend corned some of his spring bear using the recipe in Cooking Alaskan for corning bear, and I think it is a longer soak, something like 15 to 30 days, but he said it turned out wonderful. That recipe doesn't use saltpeter, which I would prefer not to use anyways. If you do an internet search on corning, you should find a plethora of information. Otherwise, I got lots of info from Cooperative Extension at UAS. Unfortunately, most of that info followed the USDA guidelines of using saltpeter. Its possible to do it without, but you just have to follow the directions for whatever recipe you've found. A corned roast slow cooked all day with potatoes and cabbage and carrots on the diesel stove in our boat is AWESOME after a long day of hunting or diving or trapping or whatever we're doing! Definitely give it a try.

Thumbs up corning and bear fat

we corned a moose brisket and a tongue this year and they were great, i just found a recipe that omitted the saltpeter. you can't really corn too long if it is cool enough, the times are "minimum guidelines".

take your bear fat and mix it 50/50 with bee's wax, stir well and let cool and you will have great leather conditioner.
    bear grease is also good for lubing patched round balls for a muzzleloader, if you know any blackpowder shooters they might use some.

i burned my first batch of bear fat too... next time i am going to put little pieces into a cast iron pot IN the oven, so it stays at a constant and doesn't scorch. if you heat and reheat it you will "toast" some for sure...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by southeast stephanie View Post

Try making home made soap. Better yet if you have a source of goat milk...

I learned my lesson with bear grease one year by using it to deep fry. Like eating too many hooligans. Bad for your guts but tastes good.

Default Bear Grease

Howdy. I am a Native American Spiritual Leader, Sweat Leader and Sundancer down here in Northern California. I was origionally born and raised in Montana and unfortunately work has taken me here. Anyway, I am looking for Bear Grease and came across this post. We use it in our ceremonies and I was trying to find some. Unfortunately, I was unable to find anyone at home that has gotten one this year. If you are interested in getting rid of the Bear Grease I would be willing to buy some off your hands.

I still have some bear grease available if anyone else wants some.