Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crummy knives

Default crummy knives

have you seen (or been forced to use) some of the "hunting knives" being carried to camp these days? the blades are too long, too thick, and not sharp enough for the job. some of the designs are so unweildy that it is nearly impossible to safely use them.

as a society, we have moved further from the act of processing our own food, and this is reflected by some of the goony tools being offered.

there was a time when folks were raised using knives on a daily basis and had an understanding as to what was needed.

i recently helped a dude trying to "field dress" with a long blade survival knife.

it may be important to teach our youngsters (and others) those traditions handed down to us out of respect for our teachers.
    happy trails.
    jh

How big is too big for you? What is in your hand when field dressing>

this one is my dream knife..

if i could ever afford it..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I have always kept it simple and went with what I was brought up using which were Buck, Shrade, and Gerbers.

This is my current go to knife. Does just about everything I ask of it, keeps a good edge for a long time, requires little maintenance, and fits my hand well.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

I had the same buck knife... unfortunately Ken Onion proved to me that the knife isn't as strong as it looks.. the tip ended up shattered.. but he sharpened what was left and it holds an edge well now..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I have the same knife and it has served me well. Rey, send it back to Buck and they'll replace it.

never knew that... ill have to go find it..lol

Buck and leatherman knives have a lifetime warranty, just send back the broken knife and they will fix or replace it.

What irks me is with all the new materials and whiz bang technology I'm still having a hell of a time finding a knife with a grip that doesn't turn to greased snot when covered in blood and fat. Like most other gear knives have fallen to the "it's better too look good than work" attitude. Guess I'll just have too keep looking, to many down sides to bone handles.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    I had the same buck knife... unfortunately Ken Onion proved to me that the knife isn't as strong as it looks.. the tip ended up shattered.. but he sharpened what was left and it holds an edge well now..
    They are not a pry bar thats for sure!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

I don't know.... my Rambo knife and machete seem to do the job

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I don't know.... my Rambo knife and machete seem to do the job
    They also inflicted that nasty laceration to your finger this year! Whoops never mind that was a Havalon wasn't it?

If anyone saw your sled they would quickly come to the conclusion you just might be the next axe murderer with that axe and machete strapped to the sides of it.

here are a few favorites of mine..........they happen to be marbles, but i like lots of different knives in the 3 1/2"--5" blade design. it seems a longer blade is difficult to control, and certainly not as versatile when it comes to game care.

i realize this may offend some who like long blades ( i saw a dude trying to dress a deer with a shovel), but in my experience the extra length is in the way.

i have dressed lots of deer, elk, and even bear and have concluded blade steel is more important than length.
    happy trails.
    jh

Pinehaven

Agreed most of the field work requires a short heavy blade, however butchering is a different story. Long thin boning and slicing knives are indispensable for there intended use. I wouldn't use a finishing hammer for framing nor would I use a framing hammer to sink brads. In short right tool for the job at hand....seems our shop teachers were right, despite not having all there fingers.

Ret25yo

Sorry my friend but your post has been bugging me all night....here it goes. If anyone intentionally broke a piece of my equipment as vital as my hunting knife without immediately replacing it with a new one he'd get his ass kicked all the way down the alcan and back to the lower 48 cesspool he came from! He left micro fractures throughout that blade, a blade that you just might have to rely on for food, shelter and fire some day. Whats more any knife maker or black smith worth a dang would know that! Here in Alaska, or anyother wilderness area, a good knife isn't just a nice thing to have, it can literally mean the diferance between life and death.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I am a huge fan of the Old Timer "sharp finger". It does not slip in your hands when bloody and it sharpens fairly easy in the field.

Recently, I was given the same knife with a gut hook on it. Now I always thought the gut hook was a gimmick until I was shown how slick it works for lacing open the hide on the legs. It's not that it does any better of a job, just a whole lot faster.

Lately I have moved away from the mass produced hunting, skinning, and caping knives and gone to custom built. 3 of my favorite knife makers are Gene Ingram, David Westner, and Charles May. The knives certainly aren't cheap but they are built with high quality materials and my preferred steel in either D2 or S30V.
    I also like the Helle Eggen knife made from laminated steel with a birch handle, a good knife at a great price.

Default cutco

Cutco knife with their serrated blade. BEST knife by far out there. Get the one w/the orange rubber handle and you won't loose it, and it doesn't slip when it comes in contact with blood and guts. Did 4 moose, 3 musk ox, 4 caribou before I got it re-sharpened (didn't need it, but I could tell it was dulling). It is by far the best knife I've used.

**when it cut through the moose hide like it was nothing and didn't get dull...that's when I knew I had a winner!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Cutco knife with their serrated blade. BEST knife by far out there. Get the one w/the orange rubber handle and you won't loose it, and it doesn't slip when it comes in contact with blood and guts. Did 4 moose, 3 musk ox, 4 caribou before I got it re-sharpened (didn't need it, but I could tell it was dulling). It is by far the best knife I've used.

**when it cut through the moose hide like it was nothing and didn't get dull...that's when I knew I had a winner!
    I agree, I've seen a lot of different knives used on moose over the years that friends have brought along. However, by the time our hunt is over they always end up saying they will be purchasing a Cutco hunting knife with the DD edge. Can do a couple moose, couple caribou, and a bear 2 or 3 years in a row before it really needs to be sent back to be sharpend for 5 bucks. Granted we usually have two or three Cutcos going on a moose depending on the people there so each knife isn't doing the whole moose by itself. Can't go wrong with the Cutco for moose IMO.

However, after using the little havalon for everything but moose, a caribou and several goats, and a bear I am completely sold on these things. SUPER sharp blades, lightweight and easy to control and gets into the small places pretty easily. And being as I really hate backpacking a sharpener around and dislike sharpening knives in the first place being able to swap out the blades on the fly is super nice and quick and the blades are really cheap.

For me between the Cutco for moose and the havalon for everything else I'm pretty much set.

here's a couple more favorites.... semi-custom
    blackjack stag drop point hunter 4 1/8" blade.
    fallkniven h1 modified trailing point 4" blade.

both knives are "well used", and have done good work for me, but to be honest cannot compete with alaskan22's report on the cutco.
    happy trails.
    jh

JH you have some nice looking knives, you sure don't see too many Marbles out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post

Ret25yo

Sorry my friend but your post has been bugging me all night....here it goes. If anyone intentionally broke a piece of my equipment as vital as my hunting knife without immediately replacing it with a new one he'd get his ass kicked all the way down the alcan and back to the lower 48 cesspool he came from! He left micro fractures throughout that blade, a blade that you just might have to rely on for food, shelter and fire some day. Whats more any knife maker or black smith worth a dang would know that! Here in Alaska, or anyother wilderness area, a good knife isn't just a nice thing to have, it can literally mean the diferance between life and death.
    never said he didnt replace it.. lol .. he gave me one out of his pocket that was sharper, smaller, easier to carry, and easier for me to use DAILY..being one handed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast