Thread: Road access land/cabins...

Default Road access land/cabins...

In looking at all my options for the eventual purchase of land (w/ or w/o cabin). Been looking on and off for 20 years.

I am seeing a lot of land for sale (usually in 5 acre parcels or smaller) that are on some kind of road system. This often seems to be the case with listings on the Kenai peninsula.

Once I make my purchase, in the short term, I will stay on my land twice a year for a few weeks each visit. Although I really want to go remote, it makes sense for me to look at the road accessible options as an easier alternative...

Any positives/negative experiences out there with road access cabins?

Quote Originally Posted by jagfish View Post
    In looking at all my options for the eventual purchase of land (w/ or w/o cabin). Been looking on and off for 20 years.

I am seeing a lot of land for sale (usually in 5 acre parcels or smaller) that are on some kind of road system. This often seems to be the case with listings on the Kenai peninsula.

Once I make my purchase, in the short term, I will stay on my land twice a year for a few weeks each visit. Although I really want to go remote, it makes sense for me to look at the road accessible options as an easier alternative...

Any positives/negative experiences out there with road access cabins?
    Kenai is where I see the most lots for sale on the road system. Good stuff down along Funny river road. I think that if you are going to only use it for a few weeks a year then on the road system would be the way to go. The more remote you get the more the price tag or time factor goes up for building. If you are using you cabin only once a year there is a good chance you will have to make repairs/maintenence to your cabin in short order since you don't want to spend your vacation working. Much easier on the road system since you can just head down to the hardware store if you need something. Also the more remote, the more chances for wildlife and wildfires to take over your cabin. Often up here they let the wildfires burn if they are remote. Of course the solitude factor goes down if you are near a road. It just depends on what you want the cabin for. If you are trying to get away and you have the cash, I would go for a remote cabin. If you want somewhere to sleep so you can go out and enjoy Alaska, look at land with road access.
    That's what she said...

Thanks for that...

I was hoping to hear some positive experiences folks have with drive-to cabins...maybe there are none....

I have done both...... including lodges in King Salmon/Naknek, Ak. & Lake Clark, AK. I am quite happy being 1/4 mile up a private driveway, that exits a dead-end paved road, in the middle of the Chugach National Forest. Do your research, there are lots of remote/isolated properties just off the road system. Find isolated areas.
    One advantage is dirt cheap electric, my electric bill is $11.85 per month, and I live here full time 24/7/365. I only see humans when I come off my mountain to go to church or once every two months go to Los Anchorage for supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by jagfish View Post
    Thanks for that...

I was hoping to hear some positive experiences folks have with drive-to cabins...maybe there are none....
    I didn't mean there is anything wrong with road accessible. For your purposes it would probably make the most sense. Anywhere in Alaska (except for Anchorage) is better than anywhere in the lower 48. The land that I have is not all that isolated but I have a good bit of solitude out there. I am about a mile off of the road and that's about as far as I want to be because I don't have an airplane or a 4 wheeler. So the only time I would be able to use a remote cabin would be in the winter on snow machine. I do plan on getting a 4 wheeler soon but a lot of remote places up here are not accessible by 4 wheeler in the summer due to rivers an muskeg.

You might look at the Glennallen/Copper River area. There are a lot less tourist out there than the Kenai Peninsula. There are some great road accesible (or near the road) land out there. Also, you would be near the Copper river. I love the Kenai Peninsula, but there are just too many people and the only road down there is pretty busy. Besides that, I have to travel through Anchorage to get there.
    That's what she said...

RMK

Default On or off road....that is the question

Jag,

I have agonized over this for the past couple of years myself. I have snowmobiles, a boat, and an airplane, so I had some options.

I finally settled for a road accessible cabin because it is easier to get to in any weather, and it's easier for friends to visit.

The biggest downside is it's more accessible to thieves. In my opinion, it's just accessible to a lower class of thief. I have friends with fly-in only cabins, and they have been burglarized.

Although I can drive to my property, there is only a footpath from the parking area to the cabin site. It makes it harder to get stuff in there, but also harder for someone to haul anything away.

This was my first summer (in Willow) and so far so good. There were a number of break-ins nearby, but they were at cabins that you could back a truck to the door.

Good luck.

CCTV is the cheapest investment you will ever make......... Put them in Bird houses.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    CCTV is the cheapest investment you will ever make......... Put them in Bird houses.
    Many people that I know are using game cameras. Time, date and pictures/movies of the deeds. Then it will be up to the authorities to catch the bastages, recover the property and impose punishment. After the first round or 2of people getting caught, the problem of cabin thieves will dimish.

Good suggestions...I hadn't thought of theft...that really sucks...

I guess all those rarely inhabited cabins must be a temptation...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RMK View Post
    Jag,I have agonized over this for the past couple of years myself. I have snowmobiles, a boat, and an airplane, so I had some options.
    Good grief, you're overflowing with options...