Thread: RL7 powder for 6.5 Swede?

Question RL7 powder for 6.5 Swede?

I've run out of RL22, but have lots of RL7. Has anyone tried this powder for the Swede? If so, how does it perform? I'm loading 140gr. Nosler Partitions, and 160gr. Hornady RN. Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    I've run out of RL22, but have lots of RL7. Has anyone tried this powder for the Swede? If so, how does it perform? I'm loading 140gr. Nosler Partitions, and 160gr. Hornady RN. Thanks for any info.
    I have loaded a lot of Swede ammo, but I've never used RL7. I've never gotten satisfactory velocity with anything faster than 4350 and do not think RL7 is a good match for full power loads in the Swede. Maybe you can trade some of your RL7 for a more compatible powder.

I haven't used it in the Swede, but it's one of my favorite powders for the 35 Remington and 357 Herret. That makes me guess it might be slightly fast for heavier bullets in the Swede, but that it has potential for lighter bullets. If you're loading lighter bullets for practice or varmints, it might be just the ticket. All guesswork. I'd check the manuals and see what they say.

I have experimented with faster powders in the 6.5 Swede. They produce high pressure signs and less than desireable accuracy. Both of which do not mix well with the Swede Mauser cartridge.

Do you have any
    H-1000
    H4831
    H4350
    IMR 4350
    or even RL-19 RL-17 ???????
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com