Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can someone please put me on some fish, please.

Default can someone please put me on some fish, please.

okay, i'm brand new to the anchorage area. i've been cruising all over the anchorage area fishing; sheep creek, eklunta lake, ship creek, campbell creek, and bird creek. only at campbell creek was i able to hook up and it was an accitdental foul hook. can someone please tell me a good lake or stream that i can go to and catch a few fish. i've been thinking about trying out mirror lake or otter laker here on post. any ideas about those. i know that fishing is out of season to most. but a few people and articles in the paper suggest that rainbows are feeding aggressively this time of year. i guess with winter coming, they want to fattin up before things freeze over. this isn't my first time fishing for trout, but any strategies and suggestions are appreciated. it was suggested to purchase the book "highway angler". it has been my starting refference point, and has some good information. but it doesn't tell all.

here's a couple pics of the salmon i pulled out of campbell creek. it was right there off of piper st. i walked out on the deck and looked over and there they were. i through up stream and drifted a rooster tail right in front of them. when he went to hit the current pushed the line straight into his pectoral fin. i hate foul hooks, makes me nervous that that's the time that the ranger is gonna show up.

salmon 4.jpg

salmon 3.jpg

I greatly appreciate any input and advice!

uhhhh.. uhh read the regulations..... see what they say... especially about salmon.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...ral/SCanch.pdf

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

That link won't open.

I think what ret25yo is getting at is that it was illegal for you to throw that salmon up on the bank. A foul-hooked fish must be released as quickly as possible and shouldn't be removed from the water. Foul-hooked fish happen, but in the future you want to be certain to keep it in the water and release it quickly. Furthermore, the season for silvers on Campbell Creek closed on October 1st. If you did that after that date, it was closed to fishing.

If you haven't already picked up a copy of the sportfishing regulations, you really should do that before doing any other fishing. Read them thoroughly, as regulations can be dramatically different from river to river and from lake to lake. Stop by the Fish and Game offices off of C Street and Raspberry and talk to the folks in the Sport Fishing office. They can clarify the regs for you and help point you in some likely directions for rainbows in local lakes.

Thumbs down don't be braggin' about that fish here.

yeah, well i bet what it says is that you CAN"T KEEP FOUL HOOKED FISH OR REMOVE THEM FROM THE WATER.
    good luck getting any info after this post....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

The forum has a search option in the green bar up top. Do a search for the place you want to go. Most of this stuff has been covered many times in the past.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Make sure you keep up on the Regs. They can change a lot here in Alaska, so especially next summer when the Salmon start running again keep the F&G website bookmarked. I check it daily before going out fishing.

That said, salmon is pretty much done. We have a little time left before the lakes freeze though and the trout and other lake fish are hot right now. Looks like you live on Ft. Rich? Not sure on the lakes over there, but if you come over to Elmendorf side, Hillberg lake has a lot of action. MOSTLY small landlocked salmon and trout. I fished 3 days last week and caught 40+ on 2 days and on the day I only had a little over an hour caught 24. My freezers full of fish so not keeping any, but did manage to catch a few decent rainbows in all that. Few 12 inch and 1 that was pushing 16 inch.

Last spring I caught some good sized ones at Waldon lake over on Ft Rich, I'd consider that one or Clunie, think both of those lakes get less traffic though I am not sure.

Smile Big Lake is hot!

If you have a boat, Big Lake is a good place to be right now. Fished this weekend and caught a few rainbow and dollies. Beautiful fish and hitting. The dollies are all decked out in their spawing colors, and the rainbow are very colorful too.
    Best part of the whole deal....no one out there fishing!

Or for a real sure thing, check out 10th & M. Folks are snagging a few salmon still as well as some rockfish. Heck last week they were even getting some "Wild Mexican Shrimp".
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Or for a real sure thing, check out 10th & M. Folks are snagging a few salmon still as well as some rockfish. Heck last week they were even getting some "Wild Mexican Shrimp".
    Mike

good advice!

Release Lake Trout

ok so your lookin for some action, why not try jewel, cheney, or delong lake? dont bother campbell point/ beer can lake, as there are no fish there anymore, the otter at em all. good luck

Release Lake Trout

Seems to me that it was kind of a bummer for some of the previous posters to make negative comments about removing the salmon from the water [with the connotation that doing so was illegal -- regardless of what may be true in other drainages] . Clearly you want to avoid taking fish you intend to release out of the water, but I couldn't find anywhere in the link supplied below to the regs that said doing so was illegal...

Personally, I like comments more in the vein that Brian responded with...And as far as I can tell, the regs that applied to him were: fishing in a closed season (ended Oct 1 and fishing with a non-single hook lure)

my .02...

let's see... fishing in closed waters and killing fish snagged off their redds....
    yeah, brian was pretty nice about it all right, but sounds like poaching to me.

and ignorance is no excuse.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Taking the pictures down might be a good idea. A better start any ways.

Get a water bobber and a wolly worm and hit the back of the bases. Check regs first!!!! Otter, Clunie etc..... all used to be good fisheries. I have not tried them in a few years.

This is not the best time to fish. This is a good time to read and learn.

If people think you will not obey the regs, most will not take you fishing OR tell you where to go.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    let's see... fishing in closed waters and killing fish snagged off their redds....
    yeah, brian was pretty nice about it all right, but sounds like poaching to me.

and ignorance is no excuse.

POACHING????

snicker.. did you look at that fish? he shoulda been made to eat it...

THOSE WHITE parts are especially TASTY!!!!

foul hooked? lol silvers dont even move after fresh eggs in that condition.. it is CALLED SNAGGING... current moved hook on it..

er... not that i would have any experience in that area.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    POACHING????

snicker.. did you look at that fish? he shoulda been made to eat it...

THOSE WHITE parts are especially TASTY!!!!

foul hooked? lol silvers dont even move after fresh eggs in that condition.. it is CALLED SNAGGING... current moved hook on it..

er... not that i would have any experience in that area.

Cruel and Inhumane.... and I was eating! Did you know that bacon is kinda red with white parts..... YUM!

hey survivorman would eat it! and like it! so would a homeless guy.....my buddy had community service, and the days mission was cleanin up bum camps on upper ship creek/ reeve blvd.....he found a 12 ft adjustable handled net with a 4 foot hoop! oh yeah he kept it!

on a serious note though, dont even attempt fishing for silvers in that condition anywhere, even if its legal, especially CAMPBELL CREEK! let em do thier thing.....i didnt see to many silvers this year in there, and i only caught 2. they should just shut down campbell creek for the next 5 years to ALL FISHING. let the trout and salmon population build back up....i found a good number of floating rainbows and dollies this year while walking the creek, some small, some over 20". not good, made me much angry

Release Lake Trout

ooooh yuk! bet he didnt put up much of a fight...
    read the regs... a lot. it doesnt hurt to have a copy in your tackle box either.
    welcome to Alaska!

Default Silvers in Campbell- Aren't they stocked fish?

I was under the impression that all the silvers in campbell creek were stocked. Anyone know more than I do. If so I would think harvesting as many as possible would be Ok. Please excuse my ignorance if I am wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast