Thread: Broken Frame - How Common?

Default Broken Frame - How Common?

Just got done welding a break in the tube frame of the Kodiak 400. It broke just ahead of the motor mount cross bar so I suppose there is a unique combination of stress and vibration.

The machine wasn't involved in anything traumatic.

How common is this situation? Anybody else experience it?

i've seen it before...it was caused by the mounts for a plow...Suzuki Vinson 500
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Honda Frame

I do know that the 2001 Honda 500's had a problem with their frames. Mine almost broke in half, but it was weird, breaks were from the top and working their way to the bottom, all directly above the engine. They replaced it under the extended warranty and it seemed that it was a known problem at the time. Never a problem since on that one or either of the others I bought since. Sorry, I know that does not help your problem. Van Weld North will weld em up for you at a reasonable price. I took one in 2003 model to beef up the rear rack mounts on the frame, I stripped the thing down to the frame so no plastic would melt and it was a slam dunk.

I already welded it and did a bit of reinforcing. Sounds like breaks near the motor mount are not unheard of. Hopefully it will hold up to some snowplowing this winter.