Thread: Our first rabbit!

Default Our first rabbit!

My dog and I have been out for rabbits quite a few times in the past 3 winters. She doesn't handle the cold really well but manages. She loves to bunny hunt and pretty much every trip kicks them up, but I fail to spot them fast enough to shoot. She is very good about going in the thick and nasty, part of why I have a hard time spotting and shooting. Today it all worked out!
    Was off the seward highway. Had seen rabbit here before out hiking. Cool thing about my dog is she only barks when she sees game, weather it is bears or rabbits. She started her barking thing about 7 or 8 times today. Might have been the rabbit I shot just giving us the run around, not sure. Covered a lot of ground though. I saw one that she never did at first, she eventually caught the scent and went nuts, she only barks if fresh scent or she sees and critter. Cool thing is she is self taught!
    So it was starting to rain harder and was headed for the car. She dove in the brush and sure enough started barking. This time though the rabbit curved to cross the trail and I nailed it. Been here 14.5 years and got my first ak bunny!
    Used a benelli super nova with 3 3/4 dram 1-1/8oz #6 shot. Found one pellet under the hide on the far side of hind leg. The shot went through both legs with hardly any blood shot, bones were shattered pretty badly though. 6 pellet holes what I counted in the hind legs, others broke the lower joints and feet.
    I let the dog finish off the rabbit, bad idea, should have known from the other 2 rabbits she has killed in town-released ones on the bike trail. She crushed the ribs and ruptured the internals, no punchtures in the hide though. She looks all cute in the pic. Which she is! But she is a hunting fool! Nice house dog too, doesn't yap all day=so nice!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nicely done, man!

Default You were due

14.5 years and your first AK hare, way to go, you put in your time. Maybe someday I'll catch a ship creek king.

How was your first AK hare taste?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    14.5 years and your first AK hare, way to go, you put in your time. Maybe someday I'll catch a ship creek king.

How was your first AK hare taste?
    Now that's funny about the King!

Yes I was due, but never really hunted them until I got the dog. Even then when it is cold and snow is present, she can't be out too long due to short hair, she doesn't care or know the difference when she is cold. She goes nuts over bunnies and bears!

It was good. Gave the dog one whole leg bone, I thought she would clean off the scraps, the ate everything. Seems all is well, not sure if bunny bones shatter or not like chicken or pork?

Isn't funny how once you kill or catch the first, it seems so simple after that! But sometimes it takes a bit to pay the dues I guess.

Bunny bones most definitely shatter. They are essentially hollow and much more brittle than chicken bones. No harm though, my dogs have eaten gobs of them without issue. Thats what teeth are for.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Bunny bones most definitely shatter. They are essentially hollow and much more brittle than chicken bones. No harm though, my dogs have eaten gobs of them without issue. Thats what teeth are for.
    Cool, thanks man. I never gave her any more, without knowing for sure. She has good jaws and teeth, actually when she yawns, she is all jaws and teeth, weird for a small dog.

Default this winter

We will have to go out sometime this winter. I have a spot or two for her to try.
    Oh yeah, if you want you can ease up a bit on your loads, 7/8 oz of #8 will do just fine & unless they are two close doesn't do to much damage.

Talking Good Deal

Congrats on the rabitt.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies