Thread: Woodpecker Problem

Default Woodpecker Problem

A neighborhood woodpecker has been pecking into the T111 siding on my cabin. It goes after whatever must be in the little channels/grooves that are just under the final outermost layer of the siding. It's pretty unsightly, especially since the siding is stained so the damage is very obvious.

I searched "woodpeckers" on the forum with no results.

Anyone with proven methods or suggestions for preventing this? Would just hanging survey tape or whatever from the eaves scare them off?

Thanks for your experience or ideas..

CinANC

You might try some hawk silhouette or kite etc

Default Probably not woodpeckers

Have you actually seen the woodpeckers working on the T-111? I'm guessing that it is not woodpeckers, but instead is Flickers. I don't know the technical name, but they are larger that a woodpecker and have a patch of white on their butt, just above their tail. I moved to Alaska in 1974, and never saw a flicker (in Fairbanks) until about 4 years ago, and now see them all the time.

When I was a kid growing up in the northwest we had real problems with Flickers, doing exactly what you describe. The particular liked the siding, just under the peak. They would work at it until they had a hole in the siding and then go into the attic and make a nest.

My Dad, brother, and I tried several different things to try and get rid of them, including putting a plastic owl, or hawk up there. They just laughed at the plastic birds, and kept tearing up the siding. We took to sneaking around the side of the house, with a shotgun, when we heard them working on the siding, and then trying to shoot them as they flew away. While fun, especially as a kid, it was not very productive, and only works if you are at home, and in an area where you can do that.

Another thing we tried was hanging rat traps up in the area where they are working. That was somewhat successful.

Unfortunatley the only thing that would keep them from making holes there, for sure, was placing tin on that area.

Good luck.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I give them somthing else to eat... seems to keep them off the siding..
    Last edited by Vince; 11-15-2009 at 11:51.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

They have been attacking my house for a couple years I use to like them around.
    Tim

Default yeah it's a woodpecker

Thanks for your thoughts!

It is a three-toed woodpecker; it or its relation has been around here as long as I have - five years - but it wasn't bothering the siding much until last summer. He has been active again this past few weeks.

I am attaching pics showing a few holes. There are around 60 - 80 of these spots, all on the sunny sides of the cabin. It only wants the bugs and doesn't go any further than the channel just under the surface. but it will follow a channel for a few inches.

I come and go and it seems to know when I am gone.

I will try wind chimes and streamers from the eaves.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some cabins on the Susitna have had the same problem this year. The only common denominator we could find was that they had all been painted or stained within the last 2 years. Other cabins that were not painted were untouched.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

BB gun?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Outside of my cabin isn't painted and I have/had the same problem with flickers and squirrels! .22 or the .410 works well.