Thread: Alaskan Guide 6 Man tent W/ wood Stove?

Fairbanks, Alaska

Default Alaskan Guide 6 Man tent W/ wood Stove?

I have been thinking about going this route...Comments please...Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by 4951tomm View Post
    I have been thinking about going this route...Comments please...Thanx
    The way I see it you really have two options based on what you are mainly going to use the tent for.

Winter camping???

Do you already own the 6 man guide model tent?? If not I'd apply that $$$ towards a Arctic Oven instead. Sure its heavier/more expensive/more bulk packed, but if you are hauling a woodstove anyways the weight and size usually isn't an issue to begin with.

Summer camping??

You might consider just buying the 6 man guide model tent in conjunction with using a big buddy propane heater to take off the chill prior to going to bed, then once everyone is in bed shut it down and just ensure everyone has a quality bag. This isn't too much different than a woodstove in this regard as the fire will go out after a couple hours given the size of the woodstove you'd likely fit in the 6 man tent would be small. Both ways it will be close to outside air temp a couple hours after going to bed. DO NOT run the buddy heater all night due to CO risk. In the morning when its time ot get up, fire up the buddy heater (much easier and faster than starting a fire ) and don't get up until the tent is warmed up.

Personally I have both a Arctic Oven and a Cabelas 6 man guide model. The Arctic Oven only gets used for winter camping and the guide model gets used during moose season Sept/Oct with a big buddy heater. So you need to explain the intended use of the tent.

Anchorage, Alaska

I have this same tent and would never feel safe with a wood stove in it. If one spark hit the tent I would be worried about it going up in flame. Like Alaska_Lanche stated in the fall a big buddy heater or a Coleman heater works just fine for taking the edge off in the morning and at night aside from that good sleeping bags work great.

In the spring and summer I have never felt the need for any heat source as the dark color of the tent really draws in the heat from any sunlight you get. Camping on open river bars gets a little warm at times if you decide to take an afternoon nap.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Whitehorse, Yukon

Don't do it! I have this tent and you are much better off with a propane heater as mentioned. The older model Cabelas guide tents could mate with a huge floor-less vestibule that might have been able to take a small wood stove for sitting up in the cold weather. Sparks damaging the vestibule wouldn't have been as big a deal as wrecking the tent. I definitely wouldn't want to fall asleep with the wood heat on. However, if you are determined make sure you raise the stove up 18" over the floor on a leg system. keep your size reasonable and have a plywood and canvas floor protector under the stove. Angle your stove pipe out through the side and try to keep the chimney downwind from the tent. You'll need to have a stove jack in both tent and fly. Use a tripod and wire the chimney to it or consider using an 8 foot one piece foil chimney from Ti-Goat to protect from stove pipe collapse. Use a good spark arrestor and only burn dry sound wood. You might make this work. Below is the setup in my floored AO tent. A similar set up in your Alaskan Guide Dome Tent with the pipe angled out the side might be ok. The AO has extremely thick and tough material. Much hardier than the thin stuff on the guide tent and much more resistant to bad sparks.

As mentioned the Arctic Oven takes a wood stove but is so well insulated it gets killingly hot in all but really cold weather. The stove needs to be raised well above the floor to ensure against floor damage. I made 18" legs for my homemade stove for the AO. Have had it up to 90F at -30F. Problem with these tents is that they are so well insulated that you need only a very small fire to keep warm. A very small fire in a very small stove doesn't burn for long. My 9x9x21" stove is as big as can be used in the Arctika and it holds heat for only an hour or so. I like heating mine with a propane or kerosene heater better than wood for this reason.

IMO a light floorless cotton tent is the way to go with wood heat. You can use a big wood stove, (12x12x24) close to the ground which puts out a lot of heat and the big stove will hold heat for 2-3 hours. Very comfortable. I leave my shoulders out of the sleeping bag for sleeping and when it cools off I wake up and put in more wood..hardly wake up and have a fire all night. We have a Snowtrekker from Empire Canvas and it's a 17 pound wonder. Have had the kids out to -40 and they don't even get a cold nose. It's got so I don't even remember waking up most of the time as the feeding action is automatic.

North Pole

I guess it depends on how cold you plan on camping. We had my 6 man down in Delta last monday with a small propane heater. Temps were in the single digits and nobody even thought of being cold. We were just sleeping on the floor it would have been even warmer if you through some cots in there.

Fairbanks, Alaska

Smile Winter Dome Tent

The search for a new tent started with wanting a dome tent large enough to dry clothes and sit out rain/snow storms with a couple buddies. Would be used mostly for fishin in the summer and hunting in the fall and an ocaisonal sno-go winter trip. Am hoping to keep the weight below 25 Lbs. with a stove, but could go as high as 40 Lbs. Ultralight weight would not be necesary, i would be using it out of a sno-go, 18 ft flatbottom, pickup truck, and perhaps a four wheeler. Have used wall tents in the past, but they are just to heavy and to big of a hassle to set up for my purposes. The most use my wall tent really ever got was as ballast in my dog sled on training runs. (Don't mush anymore) Probably havent even researched tents in 20-30 years....WOW, have they come a long way, so many choices. Still remember how happy i was back in the 70s, when i pitched my first dome tent. (NO TENT STAKES, NOT EVEN ONE) Have been really happy with my little Eureka 2 man dome for the last 10 years but i am getting older and would like to be able to have some heat for comfort as well as peace of mind when hunting in more remote ereas such as the Brooks range.
    The features i was hoping to get in one tent would be;
    1 A dome tent large enough for a stove and 3 people and some gear
    2 Large enough to stand up in
    3 Two entrances
    4 Vents that can be closed down
    5 An entrance that i can easily get through without getting on my knees
    6 Fire retardent fabric
    7 Full length fly
    8 Sleeves for the poles NOT clips or loops
    9 Ring and pin fasteners at the bases of the poles
    10 A window would be nice
    11 And of course mosquito net
    With as many choices as there are now a days it seems like i could get all these features, but, so far the closest is the Ak. guide tent or the North Face ECWS military surplus tent. I really like the North Face ECWS tent but they are not quite big enough, although it has most of the above features.
    As to altering an Ak. guide tent, i was hoping to fab a patch for one of the three triangular non closable vents in the roof, and installing a tigoat stove jack in it as well as in the fly. I asume the fly is of a sturdy enough of a fabric to support the jack and associated stresses, not really sure of the inner tent fabric though. Would for sure use a one piece roll-up stove pipe, Man, those are slick. And perhaps stabilize the stove pipe with tie wire atached to the aluminum poles. ( to help aleviate some of the strain on the lighter inner fabric). I have never actually seen either of these tents in person. I live in Fairbanks, so as far as looking, its online only. Would want the stove centered, not up against a wall with the pipe sticking out the side.
    The only other dome tent, that is comparable, that i have found, that is from a somewhat reputable company, is the Cabelas XWT, and it weighs to much....Any suggestions?
    Since i started this new search for the perfect dome tent, i will admitt, i keep going back and eyeballing those ultralight tipis. The swedish tentipi, although its not ultralight, can be ordered out of the U.K. A seven man for about $600 14 feet across, 7 ft. tall, weighing from 15-25 LBS depending on fabric, they have 3 choices of fabric. And they advertise an open fire is OK. The thing about the tipis though, is pounding all of those stakes. I'm a carpenter/concrete form builder by trade and already have pounded way to many stakes. And could be a REAL hassle pounding in winter.
    Perhaps it would be best to just plan on getting a couple different tents rather than trying to do it all with one. The non dome tents that are still in the running are:
    1 The Tentipi from Sweden
    2 Golite Shangri la 6 or 8 man
    3 Kifaru 6 man
    4 Tigoat vertex
    Now a few questions...
    1 Do the Golite shangri la's 6 and eight man have an entrance on each end?
    2 Do you think the Kifaru, Tigoat, and Shangri la are less flammable than the inner Ak. guide tent?
    3 Do spray on fire retardents really work?
    4 Do you think the Ak guide tent inner tent is strong enough to hold up to the stresses of a stove jack and pipe without ripping?
    Thank you for your time/info/suggestions/advice

Looking at your list of 11 requirements I'll breakdown how my Cabelas Guide Model, Arctic Oven, and GoLite ShangriLa 8 (yes I am a tent junkie) match up to your list.

Cabelas Guide Model meets the following requirements:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, if you count one of the doors can be used as a window, & 11. So as you can see it does well but if you plan on having a stove not having #6 requirement could be an issue.

Arctic Oven

1, 2, 4 (small sleeve vents but the fabric doesn't require vents nearly as much as your typical tent), 5, 6, 7, 9, you can get bug netting in the door and thus giving you number 10 & 11. So basically if not having two entrances doesn't bother you it could meet your needs and I'm sure for a very reasonable price you can have AK tent & tarp install a second door giving you #3. Granted at over 40 lbs and bulky its out of your weight glass, but you mentioned weight isn't a huge deal.

GoLite Shangri-La 8

1 (isn't a dome tent but at almost 200 sq ft its the biggest tent by far of the 3), 2 (6'2 center height that runs the length of the 19' tent), 3 (entrances on both ends of the tent), 5 probably the easiest tent to get inside of, 6 (the silnylon makes this probably the most flammable tent of the 3 listed here), 7 this is a single wall tent unless you purchase the inner nest which also gives you #11 too, 8 & 9 only 2 vertical poles hold this up with a LOT of wall sq ft to catch the wind. GoLite claims 4 season, but with that much area to catch the wind I am skeptical. 11 only accomplished if you purchase the inner nest.

Personally if you are set on going with a wood stove I think the GoLite (even though it is flammable) or the AO are your best bets. The floorless design of the GoLite is appealing as you can stack wood inside and use a larger stove than you might in a Cabelas guide model or even an AO. However the silnylon will not retain the heat nearly as long as the AO. I am getting a stove jack sewn into my ShangriLa 8 and a Kifaru large stove to use for fall hunting trips with my niece and nephews as its HUGE and gives them a place to stay warm and dry out of the rain as long as there is wood around. However, that is one of the issues I have with wood stoves for many of my trips is that I am more often than not camping above tree line thus rendering a wood stove useless.

There are a lot of options out there and if you are looking for a lightweight setup you might check into a Kifaru or TI goat teepee setup as they are more stable in the wind than an 8 man Shangri-La, but then you give up having two entrances, but that might be able to be changed if you perhaps order it with two doors I'm not sure. I believe both the Kifaru and TI goat use silnylon as well so they are not fire resistant at all either, but a good spark arrestor will go a long ways to help that problem. Just don't come to me if your silnylon tent burns down. Its a risk I'm willing to take, but not with my niece and nephew for sleeping in. They'll be crashing in my Cabelas guide model and my wife and I who are expendable will sleep in the GoLite.

Ok long explanation that probably confused you more than I helped as I'm sure this is as clear as mud, but hey atleast I tried right??

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

flame screen in the TOP of your stove pipe reduce a LOT of spark chances of holes
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here