Thread: Hunting with Labs in AK... Not waterfowl

Default Hunting with Labs in AK... Not waterfowl

Does anyone use their lab for grouse, ptarmigan, or rabbits? I've noticed that when I let my yellow female run around on her own (say going out to a duck blind) she'll only go out 20-30 yds and then wait for me to catch up or come back to me. Often she'll sniff around, almost like she's been trained as a flushing dog. I'm thinking about taking her out for some ptarmies and am curious to see what kind of experiences others have had

you bet....first picture is my current dog, Hitch, a chessie..This is his first yr in the uplands/woods and he loves it...

second picture is of a previous dog, Nestle - she was a chessie/lab cross...She was also quite capable and also pointed birds....

If you want to get your dog to start really looking for birds, take two or three and walk into the woods and throw them as far as you can, near or in cover....(throw one, then walk a ways and throw another)....Work your dog so that the wind is quartering into her....repeat for several days, in different locations....

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

My chocolate has been a great grouse dog for me up here. I say go for it!
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Default I'm a bit confused?

Your lab is a flushing dog, unless you have a lab bred for pointing. A lab that quests for birds out at 20 to 30 yards from the Gun is a fine flushing dog. You want your dog flushing birds within shotgun range, don't you?

Get her on some training birds and show her what you want of her. You're in for a lot of fun.

Jim

Oh yeah !!!! They are versatile and do well at both.
    "2o to 30 yd range"
    I call what your dog is doing "checking in". She is situationally aware of your location. You can work with that to develop a desirable quartering trait.
    You can use Juli's advice on planting some birds in a field. Use a zig zag pattern and go from one side of the field to the other just as you would while hunting upland game. I use a whistle toot toot or "hup hup" and even e collar tone for advanced dogs to change direction when I do.
    When your dog comes across the birds just continue on and drop the bird back behind you. I do this so I can run multiple dogs on the same setup or I may opt to run the field again but at a different angle.

I like for my dogs to do what yours is doing. I actually had to teach our dogs the "Woah" command which translates to "stop right there and check back with me". I don't want them getting too far out front.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for the posts! Three quick toots on the fox 40 brings her back, so I should be able to keep her in flushing range. If the weather cooperates this weekend, I'm going to have to get her out and see how she does. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post up soon

Default Hares

I've never used my labs to flush hares, but do have them pick up the ones I shoot. My newest lab may be fast enough to catch one, not sure yet. The dogs seem to enjoy picking up whatever I shoot.

Default retrievers make great flushers

My Chessie loves grouse, pheasant, Hungarian partridge, ptarmigan doesnt matter. He mostly works the cover naturally but doesnt stop to flush all that well because I trained him for waterfowl. I kinda wish I had, but a good hard sit whistle will usually stop him. I am getting more lenient with him since he is twelve and missing one eye.
    Most of my friends/family that I grew up with in Vermont used labs for ruffed grouse all the time. They were wonderful!

Default Burke

I hope one of the last memories you have of your dog is him ignoring a sit whistle and just going for broke and he flushes a bunch of birds. I fully understand getting soft on the old veterans. I LOVE those old hunting fools. I'm about in the same boat with my Old Gray Beard. When I make him sit he gets indignant.

Default I use mine

I use mine quite a bit. He is trained as a flushing dog. I mostly hunt pheasants with him, so I try to hold him at 15 yards so that they donít get pushed to far out in front of us.
    I have used him for grouse, ptarmigan, and rabbits, with good success on all three. He actually caught two different ptarmigan on flush last year that was pretty cool to see.
    I put a little clip of him making a retrieve in an earlier thread: Flying With Pets (New Rules)
    Doc will usually range out to about 15 yards swing left and right than circle back, he kind of keeps making a big loop, hunts the cover hard, but does not range to far out. I donít think it changes my hunting success on ptarmigan very much, but he sure makes it a hell of a lot more fun.

Default Thats what I use my Labs for.

L-R
    Catalina and Ramsey

Catalina myself and Ramsey

Sedona.....she's done past on now.

Had multiple birds down here and she was keeping an eye on one while retrieving.

Default Nice Pictures

I can't wait to get to S.D.