Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry jams on the first round

Default Henry jams on the first round

I bought a Henry youth model .22 lever for my wife and daughter. It's fun to shoot,seems to be well made,and is a handy little gun. The problem I have with it is that when the first round is levered in from the magazine to the chamber --it often jams. The round sort of sticks up too high,jamming the bullet above the chamber. Subsequent rounds chamber with no problem. Why would it do this only with the first round? We only use it for fun shooting so it's no big deal--just curious as to why only the first round?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I dunno, but I'd call Henry, and get it fixed.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Ditto what Smitty said. I had occasion to deal with Henry's customer service once, and I've never had a better customer service experience. My son lost the front sight post on a hunting trip from his Henry mini-bolt .22. The CEO himself (Anthony Imperato) answered my e-mail and sent me a new sight post, free.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

that is kind of an odd problem. Henry's sometimes have issues with the feed angle but that would be more of a recurring problem. +1 on their customer service. They are good people.

Spring too tight? I have had this problem with standard box magazine firearms but never for a tub fed gun. If you load one less into the mag, does it still do it or does it feed reliably? If it feeds reliably with one less in the tube I would bet it is a tight spring and storing it under maximum compression for a while might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1965 View Post
    I bought a Henry youth model .22 lever for my wife and daughter. It's fun to shoot,seems to be well made,and is a handy little gun. The problem I have with it is that when the first round is levered in from the magazine to the chamber --it often jams. The round sort of sticks up too high,jamming the bullet above the chamber. Subsequent rounds chamber with no problem. Why would it do this only with the first round? We only use it for fun shooting so it's no big deal--just curious as to why only the first round?
    There is a member on here by the name of Adfields who fixed a jamming henry. He may be the guy to talk to. If you have any time to wait......be sure to let the customer service center know exactly what type of bullets you were using and give them a detailed description of what is going on. No matter what....they will fix this problem for you and fix it quick!

If your shooting 60gr .22LR try some 40gr or lighter. The long lead above the case on the 60gr rounds tends to have feeding issues in some 22LR non bolt rifles.

I'm shooting standard 37 grain factory hollow points. I also tried some .22 shorts--which function perfectly. I usually don't load the tube up to full capacity--but I think your tight spring suspicion might be the problem. Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    There is a member on here by the name of Adfields who fixed a jamming henry. He may be the guy to talk to. If you have any time to wait......be sure to let the customer service center know exactly what type of bullets you were using and give them a detailed description of what is going on. No matter what....they will fix this problem for you and fix it quick!
    This does not sound like the same thing mine was doing. On mine it would jam about every 4th round or so and it went back to Henry a couple times with no success even though they were nice and all. I finally took it apart myself and after much study I found that the lift arm was about .200" too short so the rim of the case would fall off it before the bullet was started in the chamber. This allowed the bullet nose to flip up and the bolt would be pushing on the side of the case, if you worked it fast it would fold the bullet over on top of the case mouth. So since the lift arm is just 1/8" stamped steel I cut a replacement as long as would fit in the dye cast action block. Then I slicked everything up inside the block, feed rails, and feed arm so the rounds slide through good. Works like a champ now, feeds everything and has had a couple bricks of ammo through it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

AD:
    I perceive you to be a Mechanical Genius.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    AD:
    I perceive you to be a Mechanical Genius.
    Smitty of the North
    Well thanks Smitty, but I'm just your average farm boy that has a bunch of mechanical experience and training. Iím sort of a red neck engineer, fair to middling at a lot of things but great at none of them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Smile Update on Henry

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    Spring too tight? I have had this problem with standard box magazine firearms but never for a tub fed gun. If you load one less into the mag, does it still do it or does it feed reliably? If it feeds reliably with one less in the tube I would bet it is a tight spring and storing it under maximum compression for a while might help.
    I went back to the range and tried the Henry again--and found that it functions perfectly with a few rounds less--say 8 or 10--in the magazine tube.Guess maybe I wasn't paying much attention before. So your spring theory seems to be correct. And my daughter is a good shot by the way--bullseyes at 50 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1965 View Post
    I went back to the range and tried the Henry again--and found that it functions perfectly with a few rounds less--say 8 or 10--in the magazine tube.Guess maybe I wasn't paying much attention before. So your spring theory seems to be correct. And my daughter is a good shot by the way--bullseyes at 50 yards
    Might be time to get her out after some bunnies!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Glad you got it working good. I had this same problem with a new magazine for an old pistol. I loaded the magazine to full capacity, then stuck a wooden dowel in the top of the magazine to further compress the spring. I left it like this for a few months and now the magazine works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    Glad you got it working good. I had this same problem with a new magazine for an old pistol. I loaded the magazine to full capacity, then stuck a wooden dowel in the top of the magazine to further compress the spring. I left it like this for a few months and now the magazine works fine.
    I like that great idea.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I can't imagine why it would jam from too much pressure from the magazine spring unless it's combined with a week lift arm spring.

When the lift arm lifts the round up it does so only with spring pressure, the lever pushes the arm down and the spring pushes it up. As the arm comes up the next round is pushing on the nose of the lift arm and what I think may be going on is the lift arm spring is too weak to overcome the friction made by the magazine spring.

If it were my gun I would take it down and polish the lift arm, the nose in particular, on an arkansas stone or the like. Then put a little stretch on the lift arm spring, not much, just a bit. Iím about 90% confident that would make her feed like a champ.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

These guns are very easy to take down and simple to understand when you see the inside open. I just took mine down as I typed this to be sure I did not lead you off on a goose chase or miss anything.

To take it down first UNLOAD!
    1> Pull the stock screw (on top about 3" behind the hammer) and slip the stock off to the rear.
    2> Pull the 4 screws from the action cover, 2 on each side with tooth lock washers under them.
    3> Calk the hammer and slide the cover back till it comes off.
    4> Crack the lever slightly and lift the bolt off the action then open lever all the way.
    5> Remove the magazine follower tube and set it aside.
    6> Pull the 2 screws that hold the feed block in place, they are on the right side.
    7> With the gun flat on its left side rotate the action block up and to the rear till it slips off the lift arm. **The lift arm spring and the cap that covers its top end should be inside the block, find them and put them with your screws.**
    8> The lift arm will now lift off its fulcrum post and you can do your work on it.

Assemble everything in reverse order when you’re done slicking it up and stretching the spring.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info. As far as things being easy to take apart and put back together--well, for some people maybe...but not necessarily me I'm great at breaking things in an attempt to fix them. But thanks for the step by step instructions--maybe I'll give it a try. But I'm also happy just loading a few rounds less in the gun. Someone mentioned rabbit hunting....well,I did recently get my daughter a beagle pup--about 3 months old right now--so probably in another month or so I'll try to start him on some hares. Life is good Thanks again guys.

Your welcome.

Just holler if you get lost, I wonít leave you hung out swinging in the wind with a gun you canít put back together. You will need to be able to take it down to the bolt off point for cleaning it at some point anyway. If youíre close to Palmer I would be happy to meet up and walk you through it sometime.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Great thread guys. Nice to hear members helping each other out so well. Nice job there AD. I have never even held a Henry, but I am buying one soon. Sounds like everyone here thinks well of the Henry folks. Also, I saw this commercial, "Made in America", by Henry last week. Then reading here, got me wanting one for sure. Not sure what model, but I will be buying one. Check out the commercial below. Good stuff!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTfWomXAN8o

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast