Thread: 257 WBY Load Questions

Default 257 WBY Load Questions

Hey Guys, new handloader at work here. I had a chance to go shoot my first batch of loads. I loaded Nosler 110 Gr Accubonds, with 60gr IMR 4350, and Fed 215 primers. Shot nice 1" group of 3 @ 100yrds, but chronograph shows 10 shot average of 3075fps. Load manual says should be about 3200fps for this load. I set COL @ 3.20", so way off lands. No pressure signs.

I shot a 3 shot group of factory ammo, same setup, and had an average of 3321fps. Obviously more powder? So, my question is, should I now increase powder charge to increase speed, of just play with seating depths etc. Any input would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog hunter View Post
    Hey Guys, new handloader at work here. I had a chance to go shoot my first batch of loads. I loaded Nosler 110 Gr Accubonds, with 60gr IMR 4350, and Fed 215 primers. Shot nice 1" group of 3 @ 100yrds, but chronograph shows 10 shot average of 3075fps. Load manual says should be about 3200fps for this load. I set COL @ 3.20", so way off lands. No pressure signs.

I shot a 3 shot group of factory ammo, same setup, and had an average of 3321fps. Obviously more powder? So, my question is, should I now increase powder charge to increase speed, of just play with seating depths etc. Any input would be appreciated.
    To get more velocity you are going to have to load more powder or select another powder all together. Is the rifle a Mark V, Vanguard, or a custom chambered rifle? Seating depth may add or detract accuracy to your load, though Weatherby chambers are not as critical concerning COL, but it should not effect your velocity in this situation IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    To get more velocity you are going to have to load more powder or select another powder all together. Is the rifle a Mark V, Vanguard, or a custom chambered rifle? Seating depth may add or detract accuracy to your load, though Weatherby chambers are not as critical concerning COL, but it should not effect your velocity in this situation IMO.
    Well said 1Cor15:19. Generally speaking, adjusting seating depth is a way to fine-tune accuracy. Powder choice, charge and proper ignition are ways to vary velocity. You'll need to consult your manual, and carefully and safely work-up loads in your rifle. I've not loaded IMR4350 for my 257 WBY, and my Nosler manual is not at my finger-tips right now...so I can't help you further with that combination.

I have progressively worked-up a healthy charge of RL-22, pushing 100grn TSX's, which is a very accurate and effective combination in my 257WBY.

Doc

Thanks for the input guys. The rifle is a Vanguard, and the Nosler data is fired from a 26" barrel. This will pretty much answer most of my questions. I just want to confirm that I'm going in the right direction. I also loaded for my 325 WSM with 200gr Accubonds, and found factory to shoot 2838fps for 3 shots, and with 60.5gr H4350 I have a 10 shot average of 2574fps. I started with the lightest load recipes for each load. Now - do I go in 1/2gr increases, or would it be safe to go up by as much as 2gr and try from there. These loads would put me about middle of the pack on the loads listed in the manual.

Thanks