Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self imposed hunting standards?

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Self imposed hunting standards?

Just wondering if:

Anyone else have any self imposed hunting standards they limit themselves to? Things like headshots only on rabbits and grouse while using a 22lr? Only shots under or over a certain distance with a particular rifle setup?

In this day and age you can build a rifle capable of reaching way out there, but do you limit your self to XX yardage in order to test your hunting skills better?

I limit myself to headshots only on small game with when using a 22lr. And keep the distances within 50 yards. Yes I miss more, but I like the self imposed challenge.

With big game, I prefer to be as close as possible. If the animal is "way out there" I want to get to him, or call him to me, before I make the kill.

With open sighted rifles I like my targets no more than 100 yards, preferabbly a lot closer than that.

With scopes within 300 yards.

Shotgun hunting has its own limitations due to the weapons capability.

Ralph

Well, I for one, keep within my means and skill as best I can, though its a bit different than what your limits are, I understand you completely.

The rifle and its range do not limit me, its how "Good" the meats I'm hunting looks. My ability to shoot is limited by what I see., and luckily enough, I have perfect vision (for a human~~LOL!!~~) I get as close as I can and call it "Good" or I just keep on going, because I want only Good food, not andyol' thing that I find....

Good thread.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Question stranger, you want the very best game there is...

... because what you shoot is what sustains your family... that's the meat that goes into your family's mouths. So you decide that first, before you pull the trigger.

Am I close? Hope so, 'cause it sounds great to me.

If I'm not confident of an accurate shot for an ethical kill, I won't take the shot. I agree on head shots on smaller game with a rimfire. There's not much meat there to begin with, and you risk damaging what little is there with body shots. That rule of course mandates range, depending on the rimfire. 22 LR 75 yards or less, and 17 HMR out to about 100 or more depending on wind.

Most of the time, I use a shotgun for smaller game though, primarily because I tend to do most of my small game hunting close to home, where rifles are not legal. I actually would prefer the added challenge of rimfire hunting small game though. So do you think you might be in the mood to do some hare sniping when we get home?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Less than a hundred yard shots.Can't be sleeping. Never durning the breading act it self.If I can't get it out myself don't shoot it

Yup. For me personal standards are what it's all about.

I've got racks and safes full of scoped and other versions of modern guns. But for the last 5 years I've done about 99% of my hunting with traditional muzzleloaders and shots under 50 yards. Just my "thing" for now. Might be something else next year. I hunted exclusively with handguns for close to 20 years, and archery for 10 years before that. I love all aspects of firearms, but for me hunting is mostly what it's about rather than technology.

Thumbs up

My self imposed standards are ever changing. Every time I exceed one, I raise the bar.

I have NEVER lowered the bar because of what I have read, discussed or been told. I have always challenged myself much more than I have allowed other's to challenge me.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

this is very interesting as most of the ethics police have gone home for the winter.. and won't be back unitl next hunting season, when they need info on the tag they drew...

self imposed ethics? every one has there own set of ethics and sence of what makes the quality of the hunt..

mine is finding it. making it dead and doing every thing in my power to get it recovered and taken care of.

if i know I can make the shot i will... if i can not i wont... i have passed up 30 yards shots only to take it at 300 and visversa.

i have beat myself to death looking for downd game before i learned how to shoot them so i didn't have to look any more.

doing what is right for you... may not be mine.. but if that works... great.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Experience

If I'm gonna go out hunting I'm gonna budget enough time and energy to increase my odds of success. I think that standard has served me well. It's about respect and honesty. Once you realize that the animals are challenging to hunt (respect) and your gonna need considerable time (honesty) to work out the logistics of a trip into their bedroom you will have a better experience.

As far as shooting goes, the same formula works, respect and honesty. Respect the prey enough to ensure an honorable death. Be honest enough with yourself to practice and learn what you and your firearm are capable of.

Just crummy to come to the end of a huntig year and question your self-imposed hunting standard with an empty freezer.

No, my freezer is not empty. Just saying...

Taylor

Default Hunting standards...

I have shot animals at various ranges and various conditions. I've taken caribou at 600+ yards and moose at over 300. I've also taken game at very close range. I agree with many folks' take on here. You have to be comfortable with your abilities and your equipment and know your limits.

Some things I won't do: shoot at a big game animal through brush. I hear people say "I need a good brush gun like a .375". I have seen more misses and wounded animals on account that one willow twig the size of my little finger sent a bullet off target. I won't try a long head shot at big game either (or even at close range for that matter). Some folks think that they can "stick one right behind the ear" of a moose at 300 yards on a windy day. Chances are, you will wound the animal or take a bite out of the horns and scare the **** out of them.

I have helped people track wounded animals for a long ways (over ten miles through the worst brush and swamps known to the interior Yukon Territory after a gut shot moose). For me, you are best to be patient and wait until you have a shot that you know you can take and kill. Wounding animals and losing them because you "jumped the gun" is irresponsible. Best to know your abilities an don't try things you aren't capable of.

this is very interesting as most of the ethics police have gone home for the winter.. and won't be back unitl next hunting season, when they need info on the tag they drew...

I guess my standards or limitations would be try and not come home empty handed.
    Now what ?

Default Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post

I guess my standards or limitations would be try and not come home empty handed.

... that's about the size of it for me too.

When the little bunnies put up their hands and say "Oh, please don't shoot me!", I've been known to let them walk. Otherwise, long as it's legal, it's fried bunny or bird for dinner regardless of the sporting aspect.

I have no problem with self-imposed ethics, however. You're just leaving more for me and the boys to take home.

I would prefer to hunt my standards and come home empty than change them. There is always tomorrow and I won't starve if I lose game due to standards.I might just think less of myself if I changed them though.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would prefer to hunt my standards and come home empty than change them. There is always tomorrow and I won't starve if I lose game due to standards.I might just think less of myself if I changed them though.

must be nice the wife wont let me in with out blood under my nails...

23 days this years man was i ready for somthing other then sauasage and potateo's for dinner.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Very well said Amigo, my feelings exactly.

In the past I've compared the various abilities needed in hunting. (scouting, stalking, shooting, tracking, ect) Some of my abilities are greater than others. So I base my ethics on the weaker skills to force myself to develop them more. Plus, it makes the hunt much harder and therefore more rewarding when complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Very well said Amigo, my feelings exactly.

In the past I've compared the various abilities needed in hunting. (scouting, stalking, shooting, tracking, ect) Some of my abilities are greater than others. So I base my ethics on the weaker skills to force myself to develop them more. Plus, it makes the hunt much harder and therefore more rewarding when complete.
    I agree with that. In our society, we're not relying on the hunt to put food on the table, so we can afford to take our time and be successful only when all of the variables are in place according to out abilities. Half the fun of the hunt is just being out there to begin with.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I personnally like to use my .22 for squirrels & Rabbits and keep them to head shots. I have a good ole' Marlin that does the job every time. I will only shoot enough for dinner that night and wait another day to shoot more.

I really enjoy using a Hawaiian sling when hunting the fishies. Although when I am after bigger fish like Parrots or similar sizes I will use my 2 band AB-Biller.

Still waiting to do big game hunting so it will be an exciting time to just down an animal.

I admit, I too do headshots, especially on Bunnys, alongside the trail.
    I keep most shots under 50 yards.
    My instinct here is that many will opine that Mosin Nagant might be undergunned for Alaska Snowshoes, but it works, and I love the practise.
    I do.

And its takes 8 or so Bunnies to make a meal in this house.

Sometimes the Best Hunters go home with nothing..... theres too many variables out there to be perfect.

If I cant fill the sled with meat, its fish, firewood or ice for water.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

i think the question of self imposed standards imply standards that vary from those imposed "by the state". reading these different posts, it is agreed that shots taken at game must offer a very good chance at a quick and humane death.

stranger mentioned he was also interested in the "quality of the meat" for his family, as a gutshot or leg broke animal can quickly turn into a long chase that can poorly affect the meat.

most hunters have taken a marginal shot with some regret later. teaching our children to be competent with firearms, and to avoid low percentage shots is in keeping with our responsibility to ourselves.
    happy trails.
    jh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast