Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wood Racks

Default New Wood Racks

With the addition of a wood stove this past year, I figured I needed a place to store some wood. I made these ladder type wood racks that include a roof for keeping off rain and snow. Here is the end result.

This is a picture of the "ladder" style that I built for holding the wood:

Here is a picture of a 16 foot wide, double-bank rack I put up on the side of my house along the fence line. This one is about 5 feet high with horizontal support beams for the 5/8 plywood roof going in both directions.

And here is an 8 foot wide, triple-bank rack that I put out on the back of the property near the rear fence. This one is 6 feet high, again with support beams going both directions for the roof. We are going through wood pretty quickly already so I imagine I will be building another one of these next spring right next to it so we can store more.

Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Nice job jmg!

That should serve you nicely.

I have only one suggestion: nail or screw some diagonal (45 degrees) braces where the uprights meet your horizontal members.

Good feeling to burn wood, ain't it?

(Until you have your first chimney fire)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    With the addition of a wood stove this past year, I figured I needed a place to store some wood. I made these ladder type wood racks that include a roof for keeping off rain and snow. Here is the end result.

This is a picture of the "ladder" style that I built for holding the wood:

Here is a picture of a 16 foot wide, double-bank rack I put up on the side of my house along the fence line. This one is about 5 feet high with horizontal support beams for the 5/8 plywood roof going in both directions.

And here is an 8 foot wide, triple-bank rack that I put out on the back of the property near the rear fence. This one is 6 feet high, again with support beams going both directions for the roof. We are going through wood pretty quickly already so I imagine I will be building another one of these next spring right next to it so we can store more.

Hmmmm..... sure you dont live in NO PO?

I see the hunting aide in the back ground... it does take a few years of being out of Cali,,, before you can shoot anything with out the car door for support..wonder how it will look monted on the honda..for moose drive bys..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default You a crewel man Vinnie

jm's architecture is way above NoPo. He has obviously been inspired by the Sterling, Nikiski, or even the Kasilof architectural school. You owe him an apology.

Thumbs up An addendum note for jmg:

Split wood is great for drying it out, for kindling and for quick fires, but wood in the round burns way longer.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    jm's architecture is way above NoPo. He has obviously been inspired by the Sterling, Nikiski, or even the Kasilof architectural school. You owe him an apology.

nope tyveck on osb and car parts stacked up....

the wood rack is ALL anchorage there buddy... the rest of us stack the wood inbetween 2 trees
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Rest of us?

I want you to know that I have a wood HOUSE. Yeah, that's right, a house. 8'x8'x10'. It came with the house we live in, and it used to be a big ol' smokehouse. I got it filled halfway to the ceiling just today. Keep my chainsaws, axes, splitters, fuel, etc. in there too.

Between two trees you say? No digging wood out of the snow for this boy.

Default Wood Racks

Good idea I need to upgrade from between the trees thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Haha, too funny. The Tyvek is on my neighbor's house. It is has been "under construction" since we moved in 4 years ago, although that new addition there just got started last year. Now that the permits are done and the Muni lifted the "Stop Work Order," it is back "under construction" again.

The truck door is off my Ranger that went 215k miles until it was "totaled" twice - in about 5 months. The first total was a shot to that door, so I replaced it with a wrecking yard door. Five months later someone pulled out in front of me and I t-boned 'em. Still haven't taken that door to the dump yet.

I do want to split my wood a little less sayak, but many of the trees I've cut thus far have been pretty big rounds. They would probably be too big for the wife to haul around when she is home during the day, and I've split some of them into 6-8 pieces. We got more than just those itty bitty spruce trees you get down there.

Talking

and I've split some of them into 6-8 pieces.

Hmmmm....let me guess. With an automatic splitter I'll wager. Start busting the rounds with a maul and the big ones look better and better. I don't like handling more times than I have too.

Any ideas on how the Muni found out about the house next door?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Hmmmm....let me guess. With an automatic splitter I'll wager. Start busting the rounds with a maul and the big ones look better and better. I don't like handling more times than I have too.

Any ideas on how the Muni found out about the house next door?

Actually I've done both. I use the maul more in the winter when the ground is frozen - easier to split on that than when it thaws out. My wife runs the splitter a lot though too. Kind of a family affair.

As for the neighbor, apparently the Muni has a guy that drives around town looking for stuff like this. Just on my street in the one trip they got the house down the road that was adding a roof over a deck area, and then got my neighbor for the add-on. Apparently his wife came home when the Muni guy was parked outside. She parked in my driveway to see what was going on and she overheard him talking on the phone to someone saying "you'll never believe this one, they are adding a whole second story to the place"

Default Ahhh...

Actually I've done both. I use the maul more in the winter when the ground is frozen - easier to split on that than when it thaws out. My wife runs the splitter a lot though too. Kind of a family affair.

As for the neighbor, apparently the Muni has a guy that drives around town looking for stuff like this. Just on my street in the one trip they got the house down the road that was adding a roof over a deck area, and then got my neighbor for the add-on. Apparently his wife came home when the Muni guy was parked outside. She parked in my driveway to see what was going on and she overheard him talking on the phone to someone saying "you'll never believe this one, they are adding a whole second story to the place"
    ... government of the people, by the people and for the people. Nothing like bureaucrats.

LOL the City Guy in Valdez used to give me grief all the time..

i would take is red tags and pile them in the drive way for him to pick up when he came back by. asked him to stop littering.. pretty soon they would come by and ask me for my 10 bucks for the permit i should of had.???

to do WHAT? i would ask?

and to think you all live that way on purpose

meet on face book here

Between a couple of trees and a tarp works just fine.

I see you have the most important tool in the yard, The Skeeter Getter,

You could use some 45 braces on that structure tho.

All righty, so what are the 45 braces for? Between the vertical posts and the cross rails? What I have here are the vertical posts every 4 feet, plus horizontal rails between them on each side, plus horizontal rails going perpindicular to those at each set of posts, plus the plywood roof nailed to the vertical posts and all horizontal braces. I'm not too sure what the 45 posts are going to do in terms of strengthening it more? I imagine it will give it more strength, sure, but where - to keep the vertical posts from going over? Right now it seems like nothing is going anywhere, so I'm curious if this would just be overkill, or really necessary?

All righty, so what are the 45 braces for? Between the vertical posts and the cross rails? What I have here are the vertical posts every 4 feet, plus horizontal rails between them on each side, plus horizontal rails going perpindicular to those at each set of posts, plus the plywood roof nailed to the vertical posts and all horizontal braces. I'm not too sure what the 45 posts are going to do in terms of strengthening it more? I imagine it will give it more strength, sure, but where - to keep the vertical posts from going over? Right now it seems like nothing is going anywhere, so I'm curious if this would just be overkill, or really necessary?

here is a thought.....

IF it is always full of wood that is Stacked in it...

could it fall down?

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    here is a thought.....

IF it is always full of wood that is Stacked in it...

could it fall down?

Well, it isn't going to go sideways given that there are multilple banks to the left and right, and it isn't going to fall forward given that there are 2-3 banks deep. Some folks put them between two trees, but my racks need an additional brace along with the verticals, double horizontals, and roof? What else am I missing?

Default Hmmm...

...my racks need an additional brace along with the verticals, double horizontals, and roof? What else am I missing?
    ... how about a pitched roof and walls?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... how about a pitched roof and walls?

No walls so the air can flow through better and dry it out. And it is hard to see it in the photos, but those roofs do pitch a little bit from front to back. Not enough for snow to drop, but plenty for rain.

Had to find a place to post ,( I'm at 666 posts)

Really tho the 45 braces on the front and the sides will insure that when the stack gets smaller, and the snow load gets heavier, your shelter will stand longer.

It also looks better, and lets people think that you know what you are doing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast