Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Foreman Pics - It's New to Me

Default Honda Foreman Pics - It's New to Me

Here are the pics of the new-to-me Honda Foreman I bought this week. This is my first ATV so it's pretty exciting. My kids have already enjoyed trips around the yard and up the street with me. Too bad winter is about to set in.

1996 Honda Foreman 400
    4x4
    2800 miles

Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

looks good J, that is one thing about buying down there. if it lived in ANCH.. for the most part it was not abused daily as our are....

i have more miles on my 08 then your 96.... to give you an idea..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I always pictured you as being taller J.

Nice looking ride.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Lol at jkb. Nah, jmg is that size.

Wow, that is a CLEAN '96. Good choice!

Yup, looks clean to me!

What are you planning on using hte bike for? Looks like a set of tires and you're 'off to the races'...

Congrats on the purchase, you'll have plenty of fun on that atv. Judging by the pictures that atv was well cared for!

Knik is atv friendly in the winter time unless the valley gets a healthy dump of snow. There's plenty of riding left this year.

At 2800 miles I would check all the cables, brakes, change all fluids, add hand grip and thumb warmer, and you are ready to rock.

Thanks for the replies. This bike was well cared for. I bought it from an older lady who was the original owner with her husband. He died about 3 years ago so it has not been ridden much since then. Always garaged. He had the Foreman and she still has her original Fourtrax.

My plans are probably to get a winch at some point, thumb warmers, and get one of those removable rear seat/storage compartment doodads to take the kids in.

Oh, and of course, I need to do some sort of extension from the clutch way up so it can reach my short little legs.

I definitely need to go through the cables, change fluids, etc. I noticed the throttle cable is a little stickier than I would like, and I think the choke needs to stay on longer than I would like for now, so maybe a carb rebuild at some point is in order to clean things up a bit.

As for tires - how do you know when ATV tires are worn out? They are obviously much different than car tires, but from looking at my tires here, I figured I'd probably ride a ways on what I've got. How do you tell when it's replacement time?

Default Those tires

look pretty good for stockers! If you get a winch you won't feel the need for new tires (which are always knarly looking mud tires) until... probably next summer when the mud thaws out again
    You don't have to have the mud tires, I drove my stock tires for 2000 miles and didn't get stuck any more than anyone else on the club rides.
    You might want to take a good look at the swing arm bearings and the bushings and bearings on the front. Rockhound will advise you to rebuild them now (and I don't discount his advice) and I am in the middle of new bearings on my Prairie at 3000 miles. Worth a look, I haven't baby'ed my machine at all but yours may be in better shape.
    Nice looking rig!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default And yes

don't put it up for the winter! Knik is more fun then than in the summer!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default nice

What you got is pretty much bullet proof. Slap some hot grips on there and you can ride all winter at Knik with the other hundreds of riders out there. That'll look good sitting next to Knik Glacier.

Thumbs up

You should start by reading the owner's manual and the placards on the machine itself.
    Then get a copy of the Muni Codes on ATV's.
    For starters, I don't think the 400's were rated for passengers, so you won't need the back seat/cushiony/baggage thingy.
    And...driving down the street, any street in Anchorage is a no-no.

Sorta like a newby getting into hunting and fishing, ATV'ing carries with it, a whole lot of understanding, responsibilities and learning. Some folks don't bother with it and suffer for it or teach their kids bad habits. These things are not toys. They command your respect and the laws associated with them are unforgiving. Hence the reason for many ATV's to be in the condition of yours, that lived in Anchorage.

The early 400's had a problem with backfiring and stuttering, just off idle. If your's does this, you will need to tweak the carburetor.

Have fun with it, but do it where it is legal and do it responsibly.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

" I bought it from an older lady who was the original owner with her husband. He died about 3 years ago so it has not been ridden much since then. Always garaged. " Really?? Was she selling anything else? Have fun

Default The 'res...

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    You should start by reading the owner's manual and the placards on the machine itself.
    Then get a copy of the Muni Codes on ATV's.
    For starters, I don't think the 400's were rated for passengers, so you won't need the back seat/cushiony/baggage thingy.
    And...driving down the street, any street in Anchorage is a no-no.

Sorta like a newby getting into hunting and fishing, ATV'ing carries with it, a whole lot of understanding, responsibilities and learning. Some folks don't bother with it and suffer for it or teach their kids bad habits. These things are not toys. They command your respect and the laws associated with them are unforgiving. Hence the reason for many ATV's to be in the condition of yours, that lived in Anchorage.

The early 400's had a problem with backfiring and stuttering, just off idle. If your's does this, you will need to tweak the carburetor.

Have fun with it, but do it where it is legal and do it responsibly.
    ... has spoken. Jmg, thou doest well to comply with the mandates of the 'res.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Funniest post I've read in a while. Thanks for the laugh, Sayak!!

Rep inbound...

**Edit: It wouldn't let me leave a comment on the rep**

Talking

Hey!!! He's a lawyer. If anyone could find value in good counsel, I expect it might be he.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Well, so far I've gotten through the owners' manual and will pick up the shop manual here pretty soon. I do know you're not supposed to drive them on Anchorage roads. I live in a small cul-de-sac kinda tucked back in . . . well . . . that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Base on Akres' post, I do think I'll tweak the carb a bit at some point. A little rough on idle out of the gate and did have a backfire, although I think that was my own doing when I accidentally the 'off' switch on the left handlebar.

No worries res as long as the rear seat thingy is rated for a passenger that makes it "ok"

That said when we finally got a wheeler as a kid I remember riding in off of the Denali hwy with me riding be hind him, my uncle on the front rack and my cousin sitting on the back. We went in 10 or 12 miles like that though the going was pretty slow...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    No worries res as long as the rear seat thingy is rated for a passenger that makes it "ok"

That said when we finally got a wheeler as a kid I remember riding in off of the Denali hwy with me riding be hind him, my uncle on the front rack and my cousin sitting on the back. We went in 10 or 12 miles like that though the going was pretty slow...

when i was a kid all we had was 3 wheelers.
    Semper Fi!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

oh yeah.. crusing the denali on an atv as a kid... all of us on the big red...sure we had fun then... but looking back.

there is NO WAY IN HELL you would get me and 2 or 3 other people on that old 3 wheeler again...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Smile Big reds

??? back then ??? yes the denali we would take the old willys jeeps back in for boo uncle got a big red He would go all over the place thought he was hot stuff until we hit some rain what cooled him down dad would turn on the wipers and up the heater lol but it didnt take long we all had one or the
    honda 200 4 wheelers the good old days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast