Thread: floating leaves and jets

Default floating leaves and jets

Hey guys! I have an older Evinrude jet on my boat with no power tilt/trim! Is there any tricks to cleaning leaves out or preventing leaves from getting sucked in!( I kinda doubt it) Its a real pain to get out and clean them out, especially when I can't even go 20 or 30 yrds. before its clogged again! Also will I get any damage to my motor if I just puttzy up the river if the motor has a good piss stream!

Thanks...Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian, I had that problem and found that if you pin the motor up a few notchs it helps, but you have to keep the throttle down a little because it will cavitate.

Beats the heck out of stopping ever few hundred yards.

Also as long as you have a good stream coming out, it should'nt hurt the motor.

I run mine until it starts to rev up from cavitation, then shut it off while moving, make sure your line keeps you off the bank. then when it's just about stopped I fire it up and go. don't have to tilt the motor or move out of my seat. Works good on inboards or out boards.

If you aren't running in gravel, remove the jet foot grates. Pound out the 2 pins that hold the grates in place. You will never have a problem w/ leaves again.

Super....

that is a dangerous proposition removing the grate because a happen chance encounter with a rock of the right size, or a stick can cause the impeller to immdeiately stop spinning which can shear a drive shaft or a flywheel. Much cheaper and safer to remove the debris... which isnt' that big of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDick View Post
    remove the jet foot grates.
    Very BAD idea.

You may be able to pin it up higher as mentioned above. If it is a frequent problem for you it may be worthwhile to have Karolds fabricate you one of their outboard stomp grates. It wont "fix" it but it will get you back underway faster.

Basicly you only have this problem maybe a couple of days out of the season.

The rest of the time its no problem.

Kinda depends on the fall weather.

If you have a good pee stream, you can putz around all you want.. Just make sure that the stream isn't steaming outrageously as that could mean your getting the motor too hot. Also, get a tiller and you can just tilt the motor whenever it gets a little plugged, that releases tension and usually everything falls off the jet, just a though

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Super....

that is a dangerous proposition removing the grate because a happen chance encounter with a rock of the right size, or a stick can cause the impeller to immdeiately stop spinning which can shear a drive shaft or a flywheel. Much cheaper and safer to remove the debris... which isnt' that big of an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Very BAD idea.
    Sobie- I've NEVER had any problems doing this. Of course I run Yamaha's so drive shafts and flywheels don't just "shear". There isn't enough torque on the motor to cause this. The motor will just quit. I guess anything can happen and a stick or rock of just the right size could cause the impeller to stop spinning even with the grate installed. If you know how to run a river, your jet foot shouldn't be hitting bottom that much. Kind of a weak argument.

Crumm- I know you probably don't want to take any chances with that new 30hp, but this is a tried and true method to make any distance with a leaf choked river.

Sobie- I've NEVER had any problems doing this. Of course I run Yamaha's so drive shafts and flywheels don't just "shear". There isn't enough torque on the motor to cause this. The motor will just quit. I guess anything can happen and a stick or rock of just the right size could cause the impeller to stop spinning even with the grate installed. If you know how to run a river, your jet foot shouldn't be hitting bottom that much. Kind of a weak argument.

Crumm- I know you probably don't want to take any chances with that new 30hp, but this is a tried and true method to make any distance with a leaf choked river.
    If all your churning is leaves I am sure the no grate method would be fine, I certainly would never try w/ my 140, unlike your yammy it may make enuf power to break something. It doesnt matter how good a river pilot you are, if you run silty rivers like the Tanana and cant see into the water...you are eventually going to suck something up.
    Sometimes you dont know just how shallow it is untill you feel the boat start to raise up, and then sometimes its too late..! Or a floating stick you cant see would jam things up in hurry. Or a deadhead, I hit one last year that kicked the motor up, right below the surface in the channel. I was on step, frankly the thought of hitting that w/o grates on step at 25+ is not a pretty picture, I had some pieces of wood jammed into the back of the grates but it didnt break anything or throw us out of the boat.
    The grates are spaced far enough apart to allow things to pass thru w/o jamming if some thing gets sucked up, I have found them to work well unless the grates get bent and then (typically rocks) will pass thru the impeller but get hung up at the outlet.
    Outboard jet does not offer the grates as a "option", and it is bad advice to suggest you run a jet that way.
    It would be like running your vehicle w/o a air cleaner, cause what the heck, they just get dirty and plugged up anyway.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    It would be like running your vehicle w/o a air cleaner, cause what the heck, they just get dirty and plugged up anyway.
    Very good comparison. I stick by my previous post "Very BAD idea".

If anyone has experianced a broken shaft, and had to deal with the aftrmath, you would not want to do it again.

The thing won't shut down. I know on a 40 hp, I can't even fathom what a 140 would do.

Those grates are there for a reason. Believe me.

Exclamation deep /known water&leaves grate removal..maybe

from the number of times i had to dig out little rocks in the outlet,that made it thur my beat up grates...,ive even put a 1/2 inch screen over it...I'd live with cleaning it out as u go.......
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

If you aren't running in gravel, remove the jet foot grates. Pound out the 2 pins that hold the grates in place. You will never have a problem w/ leaves again.
    This is the worst idea ever! What kind of idiot would remove the grates on the jet foot and expect to last any length of time in the water. Geeesh, this guy must be a rookie!! No common sense what-so-ever.

This is the worst idea ever! What kind of idiot would remove the grates on the jet foot and expect to last any length of time in the water. Geeesh, this guy must be a rookie!! No common sense what-so-ever.
    Too funny!!! LOL........ at least you have a sense of humor, didnt mean to come on so strong w/ my point of view.
    Except I have a good friend that went agorund a few years back, (riverboat w/ prop) anyway one of the passengers is now a parapelegic...!!! That affected a lot of lives..
    So when I think about the deadhead I hit last fall and the fact the grates pushed the lower unit up and over, Thankfully.....!
    I cant shake the image of that angled up deadhead getting jammed into a open jet foot. Its a ugly picture.
    So, like anything else there is a time and place for no grates, a body of water you know well would be one condition, but leaving it open just really seems like it has the potential for disaster, I would hate to see someone (rookie, Pennsylvania or experienced riverat) get hurt following anothers advice.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default Grates

Ah, come on Dick, Stick to your gun,s Think of it like a prop, I mean they are out there in the open no protection what so ever. A least the impeller is tucked up into a housing.They also have a Brass key in there to protect from braking a shaft.Would I run one without grates No. But you could take 1/2 of them out. That would make the other,s feel better, and keep something big from going right up in there. I used to have two set,s of grates The one,s i ran in the fall i sharpned the leading edge so they acted like a knife helping to cut the leaves as they entered, Also they didn,t seem to stick to those flat leading edge,s.To clean out without lifting the motor, Is I bought one of those little hand size weeding claw thing,s get at the hard whare store dollar sale, Or grab your wifes when she not looking of coarse. And bend and sharpin those claws just to right distance in the grate.2or3 swipes with that up in there, and good to go. And last is where run in the river, You will notice that leaves will collect into steams on one side or the other, learn to run just outside of them along the edge,s And when you do have to cross over them put the boat in a sharper turn riding hard to one side,or the other or a quick back and forth. That should help too