Thread: Looking for a special riding area!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Looking for a special riding area!

I am going to post this in the ATV section, because the use of ATV’s will probably be the most important determining factor.

Here is a challenge for ya! Well, more accurately a challenge for me, that I need help with…

I am thinking ahead to next summer and want to do a week long combination boating, camping, ATV excursion. All from the same place. I have a 15’ Zodiac with a 25hp 2-stroke that is going to keep me off the Kenai drainage and I have three kiddo’s under 6 so nothing extreme in the way of water or trails will work

So far, the only place that I can think of were a guy could use the camper, Zodiac and ATV’s from the same campground, on the same trip, is Deep Creek and maybe Captain Cook.

I know there is a camp ground at Paxson Lake that has a boat launch, but I don’t know if there are ATV trails around there or not, or even if ATV’s are permitted.

Tangle Lakes looks promising, but again, I don’t know if ATV’s are permitted around there or of there are any trails?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Consider the middle of the Denali Hwy (the area around the bridge). You've got plenty of ATV trails (most of which are pretty easy, and probably passable with the kids' machines, miles and miles low-traffic dirt roads, large gravel pits to camp and ride in, and the Susitna River running right through the middle of it.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

sr12345, thanks, I will add that one to the list!

Anybody know about atv trails around the Paxson lake area?
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

ya'll forget lake louise? you can do some fishing,hunting, camping for ever theve got some good trails back there to... no rivers to run but the lake can keep you busy..

and a new atv trail to crosswinds was just opened at tolsona

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    Consider the middle of the Denali Hwy (the area around the bridge). You've got plenty of ATV trails (most of which are pretty easy, and probably passable with the kids' machines, miles and miles low-traffic dirt roads, large gravel pits to camp and ride in, and the Susitna River running right through the middle of it.
    Unless your zodiac has a jet unit I wouldn't suggest running the Su up by the Denali hwy. Even with a jet it can be hit or miss on water level and for most its viewed as a airboat only area. I think Paxson/Tangle Lakes area would be a good bet for you to look into.

Hmmmm, No jet, no so big Sue thanks.

Tell me more about Paxson and Tangle! Can you ride ATV from the camp ground? the DNR has very little info on-line...

thanks

Thumbs up Tangle Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Hmmmm, No jet, no so big Sue thanks.

Tell me more about Paxson and Tangle! Can you ride ATV from the camp ground? the DNR has very little info on-line...

thanks
    I spent 3 weeks this fall (Sept) up & down the Denali hwy and it was great & I'm going next year also. If I was doing the family thing I'd think about coming in from Paxon it's paved to Tangle river. There is a nice camp ground which was no $ to camp as it was not completed. Tables, restrooms, potable water & the lodge has good food, fuel and fix's flats. Otherwise you can camp at anyone of the many turn outs. Great grayling and lake trout fishing in rivers and lakes. As far as atv trails there are several. You just have to stay on them until you get out of the Arch. dist.
    If travel on the gravel hwy. make sure you have spare tires. If you need more info PM me.

Im not positive, but Tangle Lakes may be limited to 11HP motors

For Tangle Lake/Denali hwy recreation info use the BLM website. Start here: www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/fo/gdo/trails/denali_trails.html

Default Dude, look at that shiny rock!

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    For Tangle Lake/Denali hwy recreation info use the BLM website. Start here: www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/fo/gdo/trails/denali_trails.html

Talk about a bumpy trail

From that site.......

Swede Lake Trail: The Swede Lake Trail System is now open as of August 3, 2007 for travel at your own risk. The trail system was closed on July 20, 2007, after the discovery of a live landmine near the Hungry Hollow and Swede Lake Trail junction. An army explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) team conducted a sweep of the area July 28 & 29, 2007, finding two additional landmines in the vicinity of the first landmine. No further evidence of military ordnance used for military exercises during the 1960s has been detected within the area. If you are entering the Swede Lake Trail System you are traveling at your own risk and are to adhere to the following safety guidance: Learn to RECOGNIZE unexploded ordnance (UXO), RETREAT from the area the same way you entered, and REPORT your findings immediately to: the Bureau of Land Management Glennallen Field Office, mile 186.5 Glenn Highway, Glennallen, Alaska or call 907-822-3217 (weekdays, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) or 907-822-3263 (evenings, weekends, and holidays). Do not touch, kick, move or otherwise come into contact with any suspected military munition. Do not approach an observed suspected military munition; some fuzes are sensitive to movement, metal (magnetic), and/or temperature changes. Never spend more time near a suspect item than is absolutely necessary. Never attempt to uncover or remove anything from the supsect item. Do not transmit radio frequencies or use a cell phone within 100 feet of suspect item. Never assume that the color code or wording on a suspect item is accurate.

Default Landmine!!??

Now that aint somthing you hear about every day.... Yikes!

Oh look...a spruce hen! I'm just gonna get off my 4-wheeler and walk over here to take a pict...... (boom!)

kinda makes you wonder what the heck they were doing burrying landmines out there? Unexploded shells, rockets etc., yeah I can see that. but you would think if you were burrying landmines, that you would try to keep track of were you put them and how many there were..... you know.... so you wouldnt get blowed the f%^& up!

Default Maybe they were leaving the blowing up part to the next generation! :-)

The Tangle Lakes area has a few special rules for wheeling, very strict about staying on the trails. Check with the state and feds for the latest up there.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Well there can't be to many mines left. The Swede Lake Trail head looks like Wal Mart parking lot at rush hour during hunting season. Plus the trail loops around to Rich hiway. If conditions are rite.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    Im not positive, but Tangle Lakes may be limited to 11HP motors
    I have seen plenty of boats over 11hp on those lakes.

Yes there are atv trails around Tangle Lakes and around Paxson Lake that you can drive on. Just pay attention at the trail head and read the signs and please stay on the trails.

Both areas are great for family outings but bring plenty of bug dope and head nets!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

thanks guys, I apreciate the tips!