Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Any one putting in proposals?

  1. #1
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default Any one putting in proposals?

    Just curious if anyone else is putting in any BOG proposals?

    What is the problem you would like the Board to address?
    Blackbear salvage and sealing regulations require that the hide be salvaged in all cases. This requirement nearly eliminates the use of black bear as a source of food due to the added expense involved w/ the proper care of a hide. The cost of tanning alone can add up to hundreds of dollars in unnecessary expense for a meat hunter.

    What will happen if this problem is not solved?
    Meat hunters will continue to be turned away from bear hunting due to the excessive expense of properly salvaging the hide and skull as currently required.


    What solution do you prefer? In other words, if the Board adopted you solution, what would the new regulation say?
    I prefer that the current regulations requirement be changed to read “The hide OR meat of black bear must be salvaged” except in the spring where the current meat salvage requirements should be left in place but the hide salvage requirement eliminated.

    In order to continue the valuable information gathering that the Dept of Fish and Game has been getting through the sealing process a reasonable specimen similar to the lower jaw requirement in some moose hunts should be instituted.

    Solutions to difficult problems benefit some people and hurt other:

    A. Who is likely to benefit if your solution is adopted?
    This solution will recognize the black bear as an important and useful subsistence food source and benefit meat or subsistence hunters by eliminating the unnecessary expense of salvaging and processing the hide or skull.

    B. Who is likely to suffer if your solution is adopted?
    The primary potential downfall of this change would be the loss of sealing data for the Department of Fish and Game. This could easily be eliminated by the addition of a specimen sample requirement that would be turned in to the dept in lieu of sealing. Something similar to the lower jaw salvage requirements on some moose hunts would be preferred if the dept felt that they couldn’t get adequate information from the harvest reports alone


    List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,394

    Default

    I'd back that one, Jon. Sounds like a reasonable proposal.

    I've got a proposal or two I would like to see for the Southcentral area, but nothing specific to the interior region or for statewide consideration.

  3. #3
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd back that one, Jon. Sounds like a reasonable proposal.

    I've got a proposal or two I would like to see for the Southcentral area, but nothing specific to the interior region or for statewide consideration.
    those need to be in by NOV 6th
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  4. #4
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    those need to be in by NOV 6th
    I'll admit that I've been ill-informed this time around due to being swamped at work. I thought that this round of BoG meetings was specific to statewide issues and interior region issues. Am I incorrect in this? I thought the cycle for Southcentral issues wasn't until next year.

  5. #5
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'll admit that I've been ill-informed this time around due to being swamped at work. I thought that this round of BoG meetings was specific to statewide issues and interior region issues. Am I incorrect in this? I thought the cycle for Southcentral issues wasn't until next year.


    AHHHHH YEAH... well i figured matsu may fall undre that staewide stuff. but maybe not... there are some things that need to be reviewed each year... i forgot about that...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  6. #6
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    But i have a few for unit 20...

    one to extend the Grizz season into June some.. as they are most prevalent then... after the water leaves

    and to modify the IM plan in unit 20A to balance some with the harvest tag holder V's the any bull tag holder.

    i would like to see the wood river CUA removed for moose transportation..

    a walk in area out in the swamps 30 miles off the road and F&G pumping more and more into one area with fewer legal moose to hunt due to the IM plan in place...


    (wait i hear mark stomping this way...) shhhh

    i didn't say NOTHING!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  7. #7

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post


    (wait i hear mark stomping this way...) shhhh

    i didn't say NOTHING!!
    He is out there in the wilderness, with no one to hear him, SHOUTING...REFUSIA REFUSIA WHAT PART OF HABITAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND.

    Never mind the fact, that Mother Nature finally saw fit this year, to burn off much of this wasteland, because of too many organization's opposition to managing it in a responsible manner.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    I don't think the law states you have to tan the hide and process the skull, I do agree removing it from the field sucks as well as skinning out the skull. They can pull a tooth with the hide on as well as measure size

  9. #9

    Thumbs up

    Proposal:
    Reclassify the Alaskan Mosquitoe to Big Game

    Rationale:
    So they can be managed to extinction or at a minimum endangered species. (As other species have been).

    Who will suffer:
    The Mud Swallow's

    Who will benefit:
    Me

    Alternative's Considered:
    DDT
    Napalm
    Pouring Used Motor Oil on spawning beds
    Marketing them to the Asians
    Trading Moose Meat for Whole Blood (transfusions)
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default This is a common mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I don't think the law states you have to tan the hide and process the skull, I do agree removing it from the field sucks as well as skinning out the skull. They can pull a tooth with the hide on as well as measure size
    Under 5AAC 92.990
    (49) "salvage" means to transport the edible meat, heart, liver, kidneys, head, skull, or hide, as required by statute or regulation, of a game animal or wild fowl to the location where the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys will be consumed by humans or processed for human consumption in order to save or prevent the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys from waste, and the head, skull, or hide will be put to human use;
    To be crystal clear it is against the law to discard parts of an animal that are required to be "salvaged".

  11. #11
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Thumbs up

    Man I missed that human use part on hide and skull,never to old to learn.Wonder if trap for wood pile would be human use

  12. #12
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    I would like to see a unit 13 archery only moose season, but its been shot down before.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •