Thread: Any one putting in proposals?

Default Any one putting in proposals?

Just curious if anyone else is putting in any BOG proposals?

What is the problem you would like the Board to address?
    Blackbear salvage and sealing regulations require that the hide be salvaged in all cases. This requirement nearly eliminates the use of black bear as a source of food due to the added expense involved w/ the proper care of a hide. The cost of tanning alone can add up to hundreds of dollars in unnecessary expense for a meat hunter.

What will happen if this problem is not solved?
    Meat hunters will continue to be turned away from bear hunting due to the excessive expense of properly salvaging the hide and skull as currently required.

What solution do you prefer? In other words, if the Board adopted you solution, what would the new regulation say?
    I prefer that the current regulations requirement be changed to read “The hide OR meat of black bear must be salvaged” except in the spring where the current meat salvage requirements should be left in place but the hide salvage requirement eliminated.

In order to continue the valuable information gathering that the Dept of Fish and Game has been getting through the sealing process a reasonable specimen similar to the lower jaw requirement in some moose hunts should be instituted.

Solutions to difficult problems benefit some people and hurt other:

A. Who is likely to benefit if your solution is adopted?
    This solution will recognize the black bear as an important and useful subsistence food source and benefit meat or subsistence hunters by eliminating the unnecessary expense of salvaging and processing the hide or skull.

B. Who is likely to suffer if your solution is adopted?
    The primary potential downfall of this change would be the loss of sealing data for the Department of Fish and Game. This could easily be eliminated by the addition of a specimen sample requirement that would be turned in to the dept in lieu of sealing. Something similar to the lower jaw salvage requirements on some moose hunts would be preferred if the dept felt that they couldn’t get adequate information from the harvest reports alone

List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

I'd back that one, Jon. Sounds like a reasonable proposal.

I've got a proposal or two I would like to see for the Southcentral area, but nothing specific to the interior region or for statewide consideration.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd back that one, Jon. Sounds like a reasonable proposal.

I've got a proposal or two I would like to see for the Southcentral area, but nothing specific to the interior region or for statewide consideration.
    those need to be in by NOV 6th
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    those need to be in by NOV 6th
    I'll admit that I've been ill-informed this time around due to being swamped at work. I thought that this round of BoG meetings was specific to statewide issues and interior region issues. Am I incorrect in this? I thought the cycle for Southcentral issues wasn't until next year.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'll admit that I've been ill-informed this time around due to being swamped at work. I thought that this round of BoG meetings was specific to statewide issues and interior region issues. Am I incorrect in this? I thought the cycle for Southcentral issues wasn't until next year.

AHHHHH YEAH... well i figured matsu may fall undre that staewide stuff. but maybe not... there are some things that need to be reviewed each year... i forgot about that...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

But i have a few for unit 20...

one to extend the Grizz season into June some.. as they are most prevalent then... after the water leaves

and to modify the IM plan in unit 20A to balance some with the harvest tag holder V's the any bull tag holder.

i would like to see the wood river CUA removed for moose transportation..

a walk in area out in the swamps 30 miles off the road and F&G pumping more and more into one area with fewer legal moose to hunt due to the IM plan in place...

(wait i hear mark stomping this way...) shhhh

i didn't say NOTHING!!

meet on face book here

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

(wait i hear mark stomping this way...) shhhh

i didn't say NOTHING!!
    He is out there in the wilderness, with no one to hear him, SHOUTING...REFUSIA REFUSIA WHAT PART OF HABITAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND.

Never mind the fact, that Mother Nature finally saw fit this year, to burn off much of this wasteland, because of too many organization's opposition to managing it in a responsible manner.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I don't think the law states you have to tan the hide and process the skull, I do agree removing it from the field sucks as well as skinning out the skull. They can pull a tooth with the hide on as well as measure size

Thumbs up

Proposal:
    Reclassify the Alaskan Mosquitoe to Big Game

Rationale:
    So they can be managed to extinction or at a minimum endangered species. (As other species have been).

Who will suffer:
    The Mud Swallow's

Who will benefit:
    Me

Alternative's Considered:
    DDT
    Napalm
    Pouring Used Motor Oil on spawning beds
    Marketing them to the Asians
    Trading Moose Meat for Whole Blood (transfusions)
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default This is a common mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I don't think the law states you have to tan the hide and process the skull, I do agree removing it from the field sucks as well as skinning out the skull. They can pull a tooth with the hide on as well as measure size
    Under 5AAC 92.990
    (49) "salvage" means to transport the edible meat, heart, liver, kidneys, head, skull, or hide, as required by statute or regulation, of a game animal or wild fowl to the location where the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys will be consumed by humans or processed for human consumption in order to save or prevent the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys from waste, and the head, skull, or hide will be put to human use;
    To be crystal clear it is against the law to discard parts of an animal that are required to be "salvaged".

Thumbs up

Man I missed that human use part on hide and skull,never to old to learn.Wonder if trap for wood pile would be human use

I would like to see a unit 13 archery only moose season, but its been shot down before.