Thread: 90hs

Default 90hs

Thanks all for the input on the "how many hrs are to many" thread. I did not buy that boat. I have found a new boat with potential. It is a 2005 Osprey with 5L Volvo Penta with only 90 hrs on it. I am told this is the original engine and outdrive -- 90 hrs on both --- only 90 hrs on the boat. So, I do not know when the 90 hrs were put on the boat but obviously the boat, engine and outdrive have sat stagnant for many years. They want $59 K for this boat. What do you think about this? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akroxy View Post
    Thanks all for the input on the "how many hrs are to many" thread. I did not buy that boat. I have found a new boat with potential. It is a 2005 Osprey with 5L Volvo Penta with only 90 hrs on it. I am told this is the original engine and outdrive -- 90 hrs on both --- only 90 hrs on the boat. So, I do not know when the 90 hrs were put on the boat but obviously the boat, engine and outdrive have sat stagnant for many years. They want $59 K for this boat. What do you think about this? Thanks
    Any pictures?

Default The key?

I bet that the key was left on.

Was it sitting in the water or on a trailer. I had a friend that boat a boat that had spent a bunch of time sitting in the salt but only had 200 hrs on it. One of the outdrives blew up at 250 hours, and he had some electrical problems due to the salt. If you can get some pictures I am sure others here can give you some feedback on them.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default long distance??

Thanks,

The boat lives in Washington, therefor the communication thus far has been by E-mail. I will try to post some pictures and ask the guy where it has been for the last five year. Any other input would be appreciated.
    Thanks, D

Default Pics

Some pics of the Osprey. Check out the outdrive?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default One more

Looks Clean.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engine looks clean but outdrive looks a little salty. If you’re serious about this boat you might arrange to have a local marine mechanic check it out.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Looks like it spent some time sitting in the salt. I would agree with breausaw about having someone local go check it out.

Thumbs up What's an outdrive cost?

See what NADA says and minus the cost of a new outdrive. Having a local mechanic check it out was your best advice so far though.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Nada

NADA does not list Ospreys. You will have to get a survey. Search prices yourself on the boat.com websites to get a good idea of what is out there. It is a buyers market, and you can always go up, but you can't go down, so start low. Hopefully the boat has a galvanic isolater if it was kept in the water,(It was) and he kept the anodes up. If not, it may have some issues that are not so much fun. Spend the money for a good mechanic, and use what he finds to bargain your way into this boat and cover his fee.

I agree that having a mechanic check out the outdrive is a good idea, and hopefully you can find a good mechanic with specific knowledge of these outdrives. One thing that Ihave heard of that is a good test is to drain the ourdrive oil (or at least inspect it) see if it is good, or if it is gray it means you have a water penetration issue, which is common and means that it needs a rebuild at the minimum. Depending on where it is at in Washington, I would strongly recomend Coastal Marine Engine in Seattle - http://www.coastalmarineengine.com/ - At lease as far as Volvo Penta diesel goes, they know their stuff.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded