Thread: Float trip suggestions

Default Float trip suggestions

It's that time of the year were I am doing my research on were my float trip will be next year.

I am looking to go to a smaller river/stream with bow/dollies the main fish we are after. Of course we expect to catch what ever Salmon is in the river at that time.

The 3 of us are experienced Alaskans and plan on taking small inflatables, time of the year dosen't make any difference. Nice small remote watershed would be great.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Any particular part of the state you want to visit? Which is more important, rainbows or solitude and wilderness quality? I may have a few suggestions if I knew more about your trip goals.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Float options

Dan, I would like to say I want solitude and rainbows/fish both in equal amounts. But I guess solitude would win by a smidge. Anywere in the state is fine.

Pungokepuk...

Small rafts only. GOOD Rainbows and Char.....

Bay Air out of Dillingham flies into the lake...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

If solitude and the wilderness quality of the trip is a priority, I know some rivers in arctic NW that have fantastic fishing for dollies (big) and grayling. All are gin clear intimate sized rivers perfect for smaller boats. Great camping, bou, bears, and best of all, you likely would not see another person on the entire float. But no bows and the only salmon are chum for a time in late July and early/mid Aug. However, the dolly and grayling fishing is top shelf. Ideal trip timing for solitude and fishing would be the third week of August. If any interest in this option, shoot me a PM. Happy to share any info of course.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'd reccomend having at least one boat that you can have one person row and one person fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Aniak

The Aniak River maybe worth looking into. I believe there is an outfitter in Aniak (can't remember his name off the top of my head) that my friends used. They were very pleased with the fishing. Lots of Grayling in the upper reaches, Rainbows in the middle and silvers in the lower end. They did their trip sometime in August. Said that they didn't see anyone until a jet boat showed up on the last day or two of the float.

If you don't mind the BIG log jams, go for it. Great fishing I am sure. The folks to contact would be Aniak Air Guides. However, for a first float trip, there are better choices in my opinion. The Duke Brothers have a dvd of this float in the forum store under "Fishing".

The Aniak fishes well, no doubt, but it wouldn't be on my top ten of floats to do for relaxing and fishing. Braids, wood, and other inherent hazards make it an on your toes kinda float....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

goodnews river...

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    goodnews river...

If his criteria is:

Quote Originally Posted by mad
    I am looking to go to a smaller river/stream with bow/dollies the main fish we are after. Of course we expect to catch what ever Salmon is in the river at that time.

The 3 of us are experienced Alaskans and plan on taking small inflatables, time of the year dosen't make any difference. Nice small remote watershed would be great.
    Then the Goodnews wouldn't be on the list. As far as "remote" flyouts go that place is getting downright crowded.....

I think he could easily do this trip in a small inflatable. And the rainbow and coho fishing can be fantastic! As for company, good luck, you'll find a ton of it in most areas of the state that has considerablly good fishing. But you're right, it sucks..dont go

<grin> Oh, it would certainly be a do-able thing in a small inflatable, no doubt. I just inferred from his original question he was trying to find a small drainage that would better suit the watercraft. There are a lot of those that see only a fraction, if any, traffic compared to the Goodnews.....

No offense intended Tradbow....

none intended here either notice the

Default Goodnews..

Trip timing dictates much as you know. We did the Goodnews the last week of Aug and first week of Sept in 2007 and only saw three groups. Not bad for 13 days on the river. I bet it is more crowded earlier though. My next run there will be a July 4th king trip. Bugs, more folks, I don't care. This trip is overdue.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have only been on the lower of all, but the if good news is an option then so is the Quinhagak (qwin/ a/ hawk ) with a much nicer community to get out at....

the unalakleets is also such a river.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default What to float

Thanks for the input, we are going to do the Kisaralik River.

Default river trip

try the Kwethluk or Kisaralok, both flowing into the Kuskokuim near bethel. great rivers lots of gralying and bows, low traffic