Thread: Very late report..From Anc to Cordova to Homer to Anc

Default Very late report..From Anc to Cordova to Homer to Anc

First off, thanks to everyone that gave me tips, advice, and any help on this forum. You guys really helped in some key areas and got my planning more precise. I appreciate all the help.

Sorry for the lateness, I really have been busy since I got back from my trip. I know I told several of you I would post a report, specifically regarding the Cordova and Alaska Wilderness Outfitting Company. I've been trying and trying to get some good pictures up too, but spare time has just been at a minimum and I've been trying to get out fishing as much as possible here too.

We arrived in Anchorage on August 22. Spent one night in Anchorage and got the heck out. Not before stopping by B&J's and talking with Alfonso. What an awesome and knowledgable guy (he still had roe stain on his hand from curing roe the night before), he got us setup with some Bombers and 3oz lures for rockfish fishing. Talked with him and another guy in the shop for a long time, Alfonso even rigged up our bombers with 100lb test and swivels, what a super nice and helpful guy and shop. These lures ended up catching the majority of our fish later. I would highly recommend to anyone that needs any help, go there, they were awesome guys!

Hit up No Name creek near Seward, I had read about it in the Fly Fishing Guide to AK. Me and my girl both hooked up there, but the fish numbers were low and they were pretty beaten up, the water was very very shallow (ans opposite of what the book says you could easily sight fish), so after an hour or so we decided to move on. Hit up Ptarmigan creek about 20 miles away. Ran into a few people that were clearly lining for reds even though the signs said not to, so we headed upstream away. My girl hooked up with numerous 4-6" dollies using beads, and that was it for that creek.

The Cordova portion of our trip was pretty unreal. The float plane ride was awesome, Alaska Wilderness Outfitting Company was awesome, the wannigan was awesome, the scenery unreal, everything a guy could ask for. The only downside was the silver salmon weren't showing up. They were very few and far between, the first day we saw roaming pods at one stream but after that we really didn't see much for salmon other than lots of spawned out pinks. Here's one I managed though:

We fished a lot for halibut, rockfish, and whatever else would bite and had a great time. We did not catch any halibut though, I think we just fished too shallow, and honestly, once we got into the fish jigging, we were having so much fun that bait fishing for halibut became back burnered haha. One of the coolest things was jigging, getting a hit, and then wondering what kind of fish you might pull up this time, we even caught a 8lb rock by jigging, yes a real rock, not a rockfish hahahha. Caught lots of different species:

The wannigan was really cool, the food provided was more than enough, and really we had no complaints at all. Unlimited boat gas meant we could go as far as we wanted and the boats worked great. We have a poster sized picture of the view out of our wannigan on the wall at home now, it was that cool. We would both do it again in a heartbeat!! I can't say enough about how much fun that was, what a cool and unique experience, and hopefully we'll get to do it again in the future.

We have over 3000 pictures and a lot of hours of video, it was a trip to remember indeed!

Once back on the Pennisula, we checked out Anchor, Deep, Ninilchik, Kenai, Quartz, and I can't remember all the rivers and creeks we stopped by. Pretty much all the rivers from Homer to Quartz Creek. The fishing wasn't very good, but all we were after were silvers, we didn't even try for bows or dollies but had we more time would have for sure.

One of the most fun (and funniest) things we saw was in Soldotna. We stayed at the Kenai River Lodge right on the river, and there is a public walkway/dock/fishing platform across the river. I have never seen such organized combat fishing in my life. Me and my girl sat there for like an hour just watching and laughing. It was like watching a coo-coo clock go around and around, one guy would cast and start his walk down the platform, then another, then another. Everyone would follow each other to the end of the platform, reel in, walk back up the platform, and do it again. Everyone knew what to do and it was like a well oiled machine. It was pretty entertaining to watch I have to admit.

All in all it was a really fun trip and I can't wait to get up there again. Next time I'll limit the trip a little more though, we were everywhere and probably should have focused a bit more on specific areas. I'll try and post more and better pics later, but as of right now I've only gotten the chance to upload a dozen or so.

Even managed to find some Alaska Cutthroat trout (they really liked the hot pink wobbler haha):

We had no idea we would catch numerous starfish on bait, LOL:

Hope you like jelly beans a LOT for this price:

Our daily visit from the local minks:

I also forgot, to the guys that recommended we eat some rockfish...WOW!!!! Thanks!!! The rockfish I grilled up on the wannigan were the best fish, hands down, that I have ever had in my life. I still can't get over how delicious they were, white, buttry, flaky...mmmmmmm. And I don't even eat fish normally But those things were delicious!

These guys are everywhere:

Thumbs up

Excellent post to show the whining greenies that Prince William Sound never was ruined from the oil spill, like most of them want to tell. Your pictures show the truth. Glad you had a good time.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thumbs up Thanks for the report

Glad you had a good trip Phil! The pictures are great. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear the silvers were a bit of a no show, but it doesn't sound like you let that ruin your trip.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Talk to the NON-green herring fisherman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Excellent post to show the whining greenies that Prince William Sound never was ruined from the oil spill, like most of them want to tell. Your pictures show the truth. Glad you had a good time.