Thread: 30'06 grand slam 150grain or 180 4 caribou

Default 30'06 grand slam 150grain or 180 4 caribou

i am going to be sighting my 30'06 in for caribou and have decided on the grand slam bullet which do you think will be better for caribou on adak no predators are on adak looking for opinions espcially if someone has used these bullets . Also let me know of any experiences good and bad with these 2 bullets please. I am not interested in learnig about other bullets and how they worked no offense but just looking for info on grand slams thanks

Well the BC on the 150 is .305 and its .416 for the 180 and about about the same speed for powder used.

I've always used 150 on caribou with good success. If predators aren't a concern, there's no reason to go with a bigger bullet.

I've used a 150 grain Barnes TSX on everything from Blacktails to Grizz. You get him in the boiler room and it's game over. No doubt about it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Which one does your rifle shoot better?

On carribou I suspect there will be little difference in performance.

Shoot which ever your rifle shoots best. If it's a push, you'll be fine with the 150 put in the right spot. I have used them on elk and black bear in a 300 WM. 200 grain on elk and 180 on black bear. They will be fine for caribou. I shot a 6 1/2' square black bear in the chest, facing me at about 20 yards. Bullet jellied everything inside and had a nice quarter size exit in the rear ham. Figured for sure being that close it would have opened and grenaded or at least stopped but didn't happen. Elk at 310 yards broadside with 200 grain. Bullet entered tight on the shoulder and exited the far shoulder. Not a lot of meat damage, jellied everything inside again and an exit would about the size of a quarter.

Just for Caribou I think the 150 would suffice but how does your specific rifle like 150gr?? I think you should take both bullets out and pretend you are going to take down an animal. Shoot it cold bore at at least 100yds out to 200yds and dope the wind on the fly and adjust from your zero to equat for distance and shoot two shots and see how they land.Whichever one you have the tightest groups then I would stick to that bullet.

With all cost being the same you get more bang for your buck with the big 180gr BC difference.You also get a round good for everything not just Caribou.

For caribou you will never notice the difference between the two as long as you do your part even then a heavier bullet won't make up for poor shot placement. Even if you were planning on shooting black bears or moose both bullets will give you the same performance.

Figure out which one shoots the best out of your rifle and go with that one.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.