Thread: Maine and New Hampshire...

Default Maine and New Hampshire...

The wife and I made a quick three day trip up to Maine this week. We made two long day trips. One was from southern coastal Maine (York) up to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Small towns, backroads, covered bridges, and mountains. Day two took us up coastal route #1 to Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. Lighthouses, coastline, and small fishing communities. Both days were great but time was limited due to it being such a short trip. 1200 miles in a rental car is not my idea of a good time usually, but you got to go when you can go. Below are some images from the trip...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Looks like you had some beautiful weather! I recognize a lot of those places.
    Cathedral ledge, Sandy Beach, the bubbles, saco river, ...

Thanks for taking me down memory lane!

Thanks for sharing Dan. Looks like a pretty fall drive. I have always wanted to visit Maine. You got some very nice shots but after seeing your alaska shots I'm not surprised that you would take a good photo. You have a good eye!

A really nice collection of pics! Well done!!! Would love to make that trip one day. Each time you post new pics from your most resent trips out and about, I am more and more impressed with your work(play).

Again, Well Done!

http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

In the summer time - 1970's circa - I used to drive to York Beach in Maine every weekend (summer time), from Peabody Mass. The east coast is a virtual treasure trove of delightful places to visit. Rockport - Glouster - some incredible scenery Dan@therock.. speaking of which.

ROCKS.. did you take the time.. .. to really look ???

Or did you just color correct the images with just one click ??

I see excess color shifts in several of your outstanding compositions.

You do have a unique photographic eye for composition, that truely stands out. Take the time.. .. to move up to the next level and learn how to correct the color shifts in some of your images !!

If you cannot see it or discern it - then you cannot correct for it.

I see rocks that have too much blue (+30) - rocks that have too much yellow(+30).

white is not what you are trying to achieve when correcting any print. LOOK in the shadows and fine tune to grey. when your shadows display grey instead of blue or yellow - The image POPS - and the colors become much cleaner and more desireable.

EVERYONE can easily see when a image has excess color shift of +30 / + 50

It will take months of practice using CC filters (color correction) filters to learn how to TRAIN your eyes to see color shifts of +5 or smaller.

or.. .. you can just rely on computer programs to make the decisions for you. I know I cannot achieve absolute correct "white balance' with just a click - no matter which program I am using. I.e. Adobe photoshop - Adobe Lightroom - ACDsee or Painter.

It takes time and practice to learn photographic composition and likewise it also takes time to learn.. how to SEE color shifts.

I suppose I should have just said.. Nice shots - thanks for sharing - but I feel compelled to share with you - ONLY BECAUSE of so many PM'S people on this forum have asked me to explain . Your images are exceptional. but two of them need color correction to make them POP !!

For what it is worth: There are 3 different types of color filters (basically)

Color filters (for your camera lenses)

Color Printing filters (darkroom use)

Color correction filters ( for viewing existing photographs)

Obtain a set of Kodak color correction filters (card board with gels)

Each card has 3 slots +10 +20 +50 these small windows are 'FLIPPED" quickly in front of your image as you view certain portions of your image through the gell (colored filter). you do not look.. through the gell at the image but you compare. what happens as you quickly flip that card in front of the image then quickly flip it out of view.

At some point (with much practice) you will see a huge diference in which that image POPS. the colors are spectacular.

Today's 'automated computer' photographers skills; need much more skill than just that 'click'.

I am very familiar with much of the area's you have visited. My old stomping grounds during the 70's. THANKS FOR THE WARM MEMORIES !!

(from a different lifetime - decades ago) !!

Majik,

Thanks for the suggestions, but these are pretty much straight out of the camera. I got home from Maine yesterday around noon, downloaded the CF cards, batch processed these images with a slight boost (15-20 pts) of vibrancy and increased sharpness a bit, resized for web use, and that is it. I DO plan to postprocess SOME of the images WHEN I find the time so if you have some SPECIFIC suggestions on improving them, shoot me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by tull777 View Post
    Each time you post new pics from your most resent trips out and about, I am more and more impressed with your work(play).

Right back at ya man. I get a lot of inspiration viewing your work.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Right back at ya man. I get a lot of inspiration viewing your work.
    Thank You, Dan!

By the way, which wide angle lens are you using?
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

I used my 10-22 quite a bit on this trip. Learned the CPL made for dark corners and banded skylines in the 10-12 mm range. Lessons learned. That was a lens I had carried for 18 months and used very little. Thought I would play with it some. Also put the 100 f/2.8 to use a good bit. I need to get out of my comfort zone (24-105).

Eye got a question for you Dan@theRock(s) !!

Whatcha gonna dew ?? with all of these exceptional outstanding magnificent photographs of yours ???

Your too kind Majik. I have been working on Cape Cod, Mass for three years and was in Nome and Kotz for two years before that. I mostly use the images to make Flickr links and send to family and friends back home in North Carolina. It is a nice way to share what I am seeing with them.

Dayam Dan ! I was living in Kotz when you were there !!! shucks and a half !!

I was born in 'southie' and grew up on the South shore - Randolph !!

Great pics Dan. Next trip you take......head up north and capture some of the spectacular fall foliage around october. I can't remember but I think there is a some websites that report the colors and when they are at some sort of "peak" as far as colors are concerned.

Will do man. Baxter State Park is next. Perhaps next fall for some moose photography. Tired of reading about the place, time to see it through my own viewfinder. Lovely state.