Thread: Gloves for sheep hunting?

Default Gloves for sheep hunting?

I'm putting together my equipment list for a sheep hunt next Aug. and I've found lots of good info here about pretty much everything else, but no one seems to mention gloves for rock crawling. Is that because no one wears them? Thanks.

I'd bring some thin biking gloves but for scrambling you probably don't want em.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

On a recent BC Mt. Goat hunt my leather work gloves were indispensable. I mostly used them for bushwhacking up/down very thick and very steep slopes but I think they would be great in the rocks as well. The question I have is when the eff is someone gonna make a pair of gloves that will stay dry after a day or two of rain.

I like to have a good set of leather gloves for when I am "skiiing" down the scree slides...Any experienced sheep hunters probably know what I am talking about. It definitely helps to keep your hands from getting torn up!!!
    J

Thumbs up sheep hunting mtn. gloves

I used to use unlined leather gloves for many years. i found that as my hands sweated and the temperatures dropped, my hands were protected from the rocks and vegetation, but would remain cold.

This past sheep season, which for me was the full 20 days in the mtns. i bought at Barneys, outdoor research gloves. they were lightly insulated, full leather fingers and palms and the back was spandex which let the hands breath and kept them warm, dry and comfortable, for about $50. good stuff.

Yeah, you definitely need gloves if you're going to be in a rocky area. It's nice to have something on your hands if you fall and have to catch yourself. I usually wear some of the Mechanix gloves but they don't help if it starts to rain or gets below freezing.

Talking gloves?

#1 for camoflage.

#2 sensitive skin.

#3 save the weight and rub some dirt on your hands!

#4 snow

Thumbs up dip gloves

either the blue uninsulated or the gray insulated.
    perfect, great grip, abrasion resistance, and only a few bucks a pair.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I have been using a fleece WindPro glove by Manzella that I bought at REI. They may not be the most durable set of gloves, but they are warm. I use them mostly for hunting and after 4 seasons they are about wore out and I need to get another pair. Mine are black, but I think this is the current model closest to what I've been using.

http://www.manzella.com/productresul...egment=outdoor

Even though they aren't as durable as leather, I think they are great gloves for sheep hunting because they block the wind and no matter how wet they get (and all gloves will get wet) they remain warm. I couldn't care less if my hands are wet as long as they are warm. I've had theese gloves directly in glacier fed creeks, took 'em off, wrung 'em out, put 'em back on, and 30 seconds later my hands were warm enough I couldn't even tell they were wet unless I touched 'em to my face. In fact, I don't remember my hands ever being cold with these gloves on unless I was actually working in cold water.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default gloves

I used Carhartt black leather/suede...they are relatively light, provide protection while sidehilling in shale and just warm enough for those cold mornings....pretty cheap as well.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

I have been using these OR Grippers for about 3 years now and they are pretty sweet. They have the windstopper and thy dry really quick. The grip is kind of rough and abrasion resistant.Got mine at REI

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...S_CLOTHING_TOC

Pigskin leather gloves.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Gloves

I have to admit I get a little amused at some of these posts. Gloves for sheep hunting and shirts. In the old days we just wore our work clothes and went hunting.

You can still wear your work cloths...if that's what you want to wear....but there are much better alternatives available now a days.

Default flight gloves

work great and relatively inexpensive. Try e-bay