Thread: 338Win Mag Load Work

Default 338Win Mag Load Work

Finally was able to get some 210gr Noslers and 200gr Accubonds so am hot having to settle for just the 215gr Sierra's for deer on the gas line.

Got 2907fps on average with the 215gr Sierra SBT using 73grs of H4350 (this a safe load in my rifle but start at 70grs and work up) was not over max and had good accuracy.

Will be working on 200gr Accubond, 210gr Partition, 225gr Accubond and 250gr Partition. Hoping to be finished with the 200gr Accubond and 210gr Partiton before I leave to go on a White Tail hunt in Missouri the 19th of November.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Powder question

Does H4350 have smaller granules than IMR4350? I have been doing load work for my .358 Norma using Nosler data with charges of 71,73, and 75 gr. with 225gr Accubonds. Nosler listed IMR-4350 as the most accurate powder with this bullet. However, I found the starting charge of 71gr to be compressed and the 75gr charge to be severely so. I don't have a ton of experience reloading but this did not seem right to me. Do you have a compressed charge with 73gr in the .338 case?

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Does H4350 have smaller granules than IMR4350? I have been doing load work for my .358 Norma using Nosler data with charges of 71,73, and 75 gr. with 225gr Accubonds. Nosler listed IMR-4350 as the most accurate powder with this bullet. However, I found the starting charge of 71gr to be compressed and the 75gr charge to be severely so. I don't have a ton of experience reloading but this did not seem right to me. Do you have a compressed charge with 73gr in the .338 case?
    Yes H4350 does have smaller granules than does IMR4350 but it is also a little slower burner than IMR4350. My charge is a compressed charge but barely one since the powder is not up in the neck but just at the shoulder.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

71 gr of IMR4350 was above the shoulder and 75gr was IN the neck. It was difficult to even seat those bullets. They fired fine and showed no pressure signs, but I would be afraid that much compression would tend to push the bullet out. I have ended up going with H4895 for that reason and got higher velocities anyway. I didn't try enough of the 4350 to test it's accuracy though.

71 gr of IMR4350 was above the shoulder and 75gr was IN the neck. It was difficult to even seat those bullets. They fired fine and showed no pressure signs, but I would be afraid that much compression would tend to push the bullet out. I have ended up going with H4895 for that reason and got higher velocities anyway. I didn't try enough of the 4350 to test it's accuracy though.
    You are better off using the H4895 because as you said it will give you the velocities you want and if your accuracy is hunting accuracy that is all you need.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Charge

The Hogdon Data online lists a charge of 75 grns of H-4350 with a 250 NP. It also doesn't list it as a "compressed" load.
    Did you try a drop tube for your powder; to reduce compression ? This maybe required to get the loads desired.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=196184
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The Hogdon Data online lists a charge of 75 grns of H-4350 with a 250 NP. It also doesn't list it as a "compressed" load.
    Did you try a drop tube for your powder; to reduce compression ? This maybe required to get the loads desired.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=196184

I wondered if something like that would be required for those big charges. Like I said, I haven't been reloading all that long so I haven't used a drop tube before. I noticed the one you linked to is specifically for a RCBS measure. I have the Lee Perfect Measure, but on those charges I was simply weighing them in the scale pan and pouring them in.

The H4895 is probably going to work out fine for me. I am getting 2850 fps with the 225gr Accubond out of my 22" barrel. 2800 was my goal. The IMR4350 loads were about 100 fps slower. As long as the accuracy is ok, I haven't shot for groups yet, I will stick with the H4895 for the smaller charge and the speed.

Default Powder

There are drop tubes built for most powder measures. I just choose 1 to demonstrat what I was talking about, as I have no idea what kind of equipment you use. You can also use a case viberator to settle the powder charge and allow it's full case capacity on heavy charges of powder.
    Hope your reloading turns out the way you plan ! Enjoy
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Rl19

Beartooth,
    I was working on a load for 250gn Partitions a while ago. I was using IMR-4350 to start out with CCI 250's and Fed 215M's. They did OK but was not getting the velocities I was hoping for before there was too much pressure. I then got some advice about trying RL19 and never turned back. My findings was that the published data from Nosler for this load was a bit "light" but with some work I was able to get some pretty impressive velocities that grouped very well with safe pressures. If you have some RL 19 I would give it a try and see what you come up with. Good luck!

Will

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    Beartooth,
    I was working on a load for 250gn Partitions a while ago. I was using IMR-4350 to start out with CCI 250's and Fed 215M's. They did OK but was not getting the velocities I was hoping for before there was too much pressure. I then got some advice about trying RL19 and never turned back. My findings was that the published data from Nosler for this load was a bit "light" but with some work I was able to get some pretty impressive velocities that grouped very well with safe pressures. If you have some RL 19 I would give it a try and see what you come up with. Good luck!

Will
    Yes, I have some and did intend to try it. I have a lot of work to do immediately and over the long haul for load development with the 200, 210, 225 and 250gr bullets. I will slowly publish my results and hopefully some hunting results with some of my loads.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS