Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Drums

Default Fuel Drums

I'd like to hear what people like to use as far as fuel drums. I see several different types in use. I need enough for about 200 gallons for hauling fuel in the Yukon and/or PWS. I'd prefer something in plastic. Also I'd like to know where a good place to obtain them might be.

Default 15 gal.

15 gal. clear poly drums from the guy next to the old wet willys in Wasilla, (behind Target now). I think he's getting $20 or $25 a piece for them.
    These are still easy enough to toss around the boat and in/out of snowmachine trailers.
    BK

We use 55's when we run to the Koyukuk as they are plumbed so we can run off them. You can buy 30's from most of the car washes in town.
    Tennessee

Default Thanks

Thanks Snowwolfe and bkmail for the information and taking the time to reply.

I have a plastic 32 gal that I haul (pssss throught the tunnel) for use in PWS. I think the car wash ones are about this size.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

You can find 15, 30 and 55 gal blue/clear drums at most carwahes, only word of caution is that they werent made for fuel pressurization, so I have some split at the seams from being over filled and not purged. partially depend son deck space, what you can fit..and what you feel like moving later if needed.

We've retrofited all of ours with a quick disconnect on the barrel and a valve on the filter so you can switch barrels on the fly without stopping.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    We've retrofited all of ours with a quick disconnect on the barrel and a valve on the filter so you can switch barrels on the fly without stopping.
    Pictures please????

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Pictures please????
    I'm sure some of the boaters will have pics more readily available than be.

Most boat shops will have the 3-Way valve to put inline after the filter,

You basicly take the small 1/2NPT plastic plug out of the large bung, thread in a 90* fitting with a pickup tube, and a quick disco male end. Run the female end from the T at a good length, connect, open valve, pump bulb.

All can be done on step without skippin a beat.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

What TWB said. You can buy the male and female QD's at Alaska Rubber on Old Seward. About $25 a set for the 3/8's ID.

Install a 3 way valve on your trasom somewhere that allows you to run either off the main tank or the barrels. While you are river running from the barrels you send your "Gilligan" back so he can switch the valve to main, take the QD off one barrel and move it to another, then switch the valve back to the barrel. Never have to stop and refuel which is a serious time waster. Drain the barrels until there is an inch or two of fuel remaining so you dont suck up much water or junk.

Tried 30 gallon barrels first time and switching them out every 2 hours or so was a royal pain. 15's would even be worse. 55's are hard to move but offer more fuel in less floor space than a buch of smaller barrels.

Ya want pictures? Swing by the house and you can see the set up first hand and take all the pictures you want
    Tennessee

This is good to know because in a few years, I will be attempting the run from Seattle to Whittier in a 30' Sea Ray. The problem, only 70gal fuel tanks and I am concerned with the run between Yakatat and Cordova, so carring extra fuel will be a requirement...

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Thanks Again

A big thankyou to everybody. Lots of good information. Much appreciated.

You can find 15, 30 and 55 gal blue/clear drums at most carwahes, only word of caution is that they werent made for fuel pressurization, so I have some split at the seams from being over filled and not purged.

Are these difficult to get throughly cleaned for fuel use?

What did you mean by not purged with regards to seams splitting?

Thumbs up 15's with 2 handles (dot)

easy to move around by yourself/toss out of boat when that sand bar that was not there rears its ugly head,and that river that "had" water when u left the road on that oneway trip down & around the horn ...and watch for those "water" gaskets that swell..and would'nt go back on...(wash them and givein some time they can be used again)....02cents
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by WalknBob View Post
    Are these difficult to get throughly cleaned for fuel use?

What did you mean by not purged with regards to seams splitting?
    No, just stick in a water hose and let it run.

The seams on some of the clear barrels will split from the internal pressure, generally from overfilling and/or not purging the barrel. sometime sit's an issue, sometimes not.

Default Purging???

generally from overfilling and/or not purging the barrel. sometime sit's an issue, sometimes not.
    Okay but I don't understand what is being purged that would affect over pressurizing.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknBob View Post
    Okay but I don't understand what is being purged that would affect over pressurizing.
    Umm, the pressure of having 30 gals of fuel in a plastic can. Ever see a red 5gal gas can expand? same thing just on a higher level. Some of the clear barrels can split at the seams.

Default Let the pressure out, gothca

Umm, the pressure of having 30 gals of fuel in a plastic can. Ever see a red 5gal gas can expand? same thing just on a higher level. Some of the clear barrels can split at the seams.
    Ohhh okay. Yeah let the pressure out. I kept thinking you meant something along the lines of purging a fuel container so there are no vapors when shipping. Gotcha.

Default plastic drums

I've used plastic drums for extra capacity and have them plumbed to connect to my outboards, I also vent them. One thing I found when using clear or the white drums, the fuel degradates quickly. I've stored fuel in black drums over the winter and had no troubles. But the clear plastic drums always seem to build up a "gel" and smell like old old gas. And yes I have cleaned the clear drums many times and still have the trouble. anybody else experience this?

Nope, Had two full 30 gallon drums in my backyard for almost a year for a backup supply. Used them in my boat this Sept and couldnt tell it from new.
    Tennessee

Default 30 gal dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Had two full 30 gallon drums in my backyard for almost a year for a backup supply.
    What are the dimensions of the 30 gal drums? They must weigh about 220 lbs when full eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast