Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Shipping a gun to myself...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    322

    Default Shipping a gun to myself...

    What are the laws on shipping guns to Alaska?

    I'm going to be coming up this next spring and I want to have my family ship my guns from the lower 48 to me.

    Do they have to go though a gun shop or no?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    What are the laws on shipping guns to Alaska?

    I'm going to be coming up this next spring and I want to have my family ship my guns from the lower 48 to me.

    Do they have to go though a gun shop or no?

    Thanks
    You can mail long guns from yourself to yourself with the USPS and it's the best way.

    For handguns the best deal is form an FFL to an FFL in the USPS mail. Only an FFL holder can ship a handgun in the mail, excepting warrantee service from the maker. Gunbroker.com has a list of FFL holders with their fees, my guy here in Palmer is $10 pre to receive and will make a deal on a batch all at once I think.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  3. #3
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    Be aware that to recieve a handgun from an FFL holder in any state you must be a resident of that state. You may not have "someone else" recieve them for you as that would constitute a "strawman sale". See question #1 on the 4473 form. It is also not lawful to transfer long guns to residents of states such as California, Hawaii, illinois, New York, New Jersey and a handful of others as there is not a way to comply with the laws of those states in Alaska.

  4. #4
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    You can mail a handgun to yourself from yourself using UPS but you normally have to mail it from one of the main shipping hubs not their outlets.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

    Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Member North Polar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    You can mail a handgun to yourself from yourself using UPS but you normally have to mail it from one of the main shipping hubs not their outlets.
    You can *only* mail a long gun to yourself. No pistols. Sorry

  7. #7
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by North Polar View Post
    You can *only* mail a long gun to yourself. No pistols. Sorry
    According to the ATF link above one can ship handguns using UPS or FEDEX or a similar shipper but one can not use the USPS to ship handguns.

    I know I have mailed handguns from myself to myself on several occasion using UPS while I moved to and from Alaska. Every time I had to go to the hub to do this. Granted I have not shipped one since fall of 2005 and have not looked into it till now when I looked through the ATF link.

    I know this subject has been covered multiple times on this forum in the past.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

    Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

  8. #8
    Member North Polar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    According to the ATF link above one can ship handguns using UPS or FEDEX or a similar shipper but one can not use the USPS to ship handguns.

    I know I have mailed handguns from myself to myself on several occasion using UPS while I moved to and from Alaska. Every time I had to go to the hub to do this. Granted I have not shipped one since fall of 2005 and have not looked into it till now when I looked through the ATF link.

    I know this subject has been covered multiple times on this forum in the past.
    huh go figure. I deal with this every day and was always told by the boss that its long guns only. Live and learn i guess

  9. #9
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by North Polar View Post
    huh go figure. I deal with this every day and was always told by the boss that its long guns only. Live and learn i guess
    One thing I have learned about gun laws/regulations is they are very hard to track down at times and seldom make any sense much like our hunting and fishing regulations!

  10. #10
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    unless you have a bunch of guns your bringing it's prob easier to bring them on the plane if your flying up...thats what we did and it was less hassle.

  11. #11
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by North Polar View Post
    You can *only* mail a long gun to yourself. No pistols. Sorry
    Depends on who you get at Fedex...

    This happened LAST WEEK! Bought a G20SF and was having it delivered to my FFL. They couldn't find the place and called me to say I needed to pick it up before Friday or it was going to be shipped back. she said to come down to the annex and pick up your package. I politely told her I could not do that and I would try to have my FFL stop in there. She said 'No, its OK for you to come get it, according to our records". I told her if I came and picked up the handgun that I would be comitting a federal crime and I dont feel like doing that today.

    FFL goes and sees her and she still didn't get it that it MUST go to an FFL...(all the while a Wasilla cop stands behind her in line )

    Goes to show you that not everyone knows the rules, even the ones who are 'supposed to'...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Well that would not be a problem because all I would want to mail would be long guns.

    So I guess that works quite well.

    Thanks for the help.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •