Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would be the farthest range...

Default What would be the farthest range...

What kind of range can you get out of a .300 win mag on moose.
    I'm not the greatest shot so I would not want to take long shots anyways. But I'm still wondering...

Thanks

Depends on your abilities, Ive seen first hand 400yd shots - 1 shot 1 kill.

I think most folks will agree, 100-200yards is a consistent average

Ive never shot past 60yds
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks... I'll keep that in mind

Default DittoTWB

Go to the range and get to know your limits first and learn your gun. Typically, most rifles like a 300WM will outshoot their owners. But if your unsure or when in doubt, don't shoot. You're not doing a moose any favors by grassbagging him at 350yds when your effective range is 200-250yds.

There are two ranges one needs to concern him or herself with. One is the range of the rifle. the other is the range of the shooter. Will a 300mag kill a moose at 450yrds?? No doubt it will. Now can you hit with a good amount of certainty at that range? If you want to have some fun make a moose outline out of a fridge box. Set it up at 250yrds and shoot at it like you would a moose, off hand and see how many hit the vitals. it would blow you away how many cant at 150 much less 250 or 450.

Now try the same shots/ranges with open sights, open sight shooting will really help you to know and understand what your effective ranges are based on your actual shooting abilites. Sometimes scopes get damaged and/or malfunction in the field so this is really good practice in preparation for a hunt.

Are you looking to shoot a moose offhand only or out of a canoe also?

Sorry Andrew, had to get that one out of my system

welcome back...btw

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well Andrew good to hear from you again...

you got some home work to do.. all season of hunting to read up on..

now you will have to know that there will be those that say sneak right up on it and others that... well

if they can see it ... they think they can hit it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

First off, where do you live in Arkansas?

As for your question, if I had calm winds, a dead-steady rest, plenty of time to make the shot, and a good chance of making a follow up shot (i.e. the moose couldn't escape into the brush before I could hit him again) my limit would be 437 yards. That is the exact range that my rangefinder goes out to (supposedly). If it comes up blank, it is farther than that and I won't shoot. Anything closer, the rangefinder tells me how far so I know how to hold. In these conditions, I have confidence I could make that shot.

If any one of these conditions is not met, it would be closer. How much closer would depend on which condition is not met and by how much.

Just my personal theory FWIW.

C04, Andrew, et al.,
    How far does your bullet, let's say 180 grains, drop at 350 yards, 400 yards, 425 yards, 450 yards, etc.? It's not a uniform drop, and the farther you get from the barrel, the more drastically it'll drop. If you don't know the answers to those questions, you won't have a chance at making those long range shots, so you shouldn't even try them.

another thing to consider is how far away you can accurately determine the legality of your target. no big deal in an any bull hunt, but unless you got the scope on a downright monster you may be hard pressed to tell if there is a third brow-tine that makes it legal, or a small bump that makes it not a fork...
    the longest shot i had a client take was about 225 yds on a 66" bull, but most were under 150.
    all of the moose i have shot were under 100 yds shot offhand.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

saw one firsthand shot and hit in the vitals three times by a 300wm at about 250+yrds. the first shot would have killed him but just some insurance from him heading into the willows and swamp. the shots were a great group and the lungs and upper heart were all but destroyed they are just big tough animals. by the way they were good quality hornady bullets. the leg in my avatar belonged to that particular bull.

2 shots at 286 yards, 300wm, not much left of the heart...

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

very nice photography...looks like some good shooting.

depends on the scope you use.....last year in kodiak 2 of the guys i was hunting with were head shooting blacktails at 600 yards flat with thier 300 win mags, shooting 150 grain corelokts....they had bdc reticle scopes and man they are awesome! gotta have a rangefinder to make em work though. i bought a .300 win mag ruger hawkeye and mounted a nikon 3x12 monarch scope with a bdc reticle, i love it!

Release Lake Trout

BUT! I dont encourage making long shots like that and for moose you really shouldnt have to make shots over 300 yards.

Release Lake Trout

Cazador, each cartridge/bullet/rifle/sighting arrangement will drop a different amount at any given distance. Suffice it to say that I know my rifle and how it will shoot out to that range. So if I have time to use my rangefinder to know exactly what the range is, I will know how much the bullet will drop. That is why I say I am confident in those shots. For example, I shot the bou in my avatar at 398 yards. I hit him with 2 killing shots within a few seconds. He went no more than 15 yards before expiring. The conditions were as I described, little to no wind, steady rest, plenty of time, known range, and only open tundra so I could make the follow up shot.

That said, if I can get closer, I get closer. And of course this is assuming I have already identified a legal animal.

I sighted my 300 WM in at 3" high at 100 yards. With a 180 gr. bullet at 3000 FPS, that puts it dead on point of aim at 300 yards. With Nosler partitions and a decent, steady shot, ie against a tree or prone I am comfortable making shots in the kill zone out to 300+. Most moose are taken much closer though. Practise, practise practise!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Just seems to me here is a lot more that should go into to the decision as to what distance to shoot at4 game than how for the bullet will go or how good a marksmen someone believes them self to be.
    Joe (Ak)

A guy in our group took a moose with a 300 at 400 yards...give or take. Great shooting, 3 out of 4 in the chest, (insurance shots.) but as others have said, this was a guy who knew his gun, had a great rest (folding chair and a table....from camp) and conditions were great. So yes, the gun will do it and well. He figures he had around 20 to 24 inches of drop at that range. My farthest shot was 200 yards and that's ok by me, I like em closer and with moose it's usually an option to get much much closer than 400 yards. It's winter and these questions will get more and more common the colder it gets and they are legitimate questions but I'd say it's fair to assume that for most of us...our guns can shoot much further than we can. Do what makes sense, and respect the quarry and the sport.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast