Thread: Kings River Success

Default Kings River Success

Last weekend we hiked up the Kings River Trail and got a few grouse with a ruger 22 single six. Missed a few as well.

see any bunnies?

Drove up Glen HWY near Sheep Mt Lodge. Trying to get my son a rabbit. We saw fur and feet everywhere at the place where we stopped. Looks like we were just a little late.

Is the time of day important when hunting rabbits? Is it better early in the morning? Or makes no difference.

They are more active late and early but I have kicked them up at all hours from before dawn to after dark.

If there were rabbit parts laying around at the parking area (which is illegal so don't contribute to the mess) then there is certainly plenty of bunnies in the area. It is more likely how you are hunting. Hunt slow and quiet and thoroughly search the thick brush and grass. Rabbits believe in their camouflage! If they are in thick cover they will lock up tight and you just about have to step on em to get them moving. It is possible to get them very nervous if you work very slowly and pause frequently. You may be standing there carefully scanning the brush around you when suddenly one will just explode out a few feet away. If you are not hunting w/ a scattergun then try whistling at them as they are fleeing, often as not they will freeze at the sound offering up a shot opportunity.

Thanks for the tips. I have really enjoyed small game hunting this Fall. I am looking forward to getting out with my son, seeing the country, and applying what I have learned.