Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Lost Lake in KPB, Dale Clemens Cabin

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    166

    Default Lost Lake in KPB, Dale Clemens Cabin

    I was wondering if anyone has ever fished Lost Lake on the Kenai Peninsula, just north of Seward. I was thinking of renting a forest service Dale Clemens Cabin in the winter, and was not sure if fishing was any good. If you have been to that cabin, what else is back there to do?
    Thanks
    Vadim

  2. #2

    Thumbs up

    Well....there is some excellent snowshoeing and snowmaching to be had. That is about it in winter up there.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    I spend ALOT of time up there riding snowmachines in the winter as do alot of other people. Quite a few cross country skier as well. I can say I NEVER seen any try to fish the lake though. It is a beuatiful place, but not much for fishing if there is never anyone doing it. I have spent several nights in that cabin and it is an amazing place to wake up in. The view is priceless if not fogged in.

  4. #4
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    i heard theres dollies there, maybe some grayling, but i dunno



    Release Lake Trout

  5. #5
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    Not sure about fishing, but it would be a hell of a spot to take a camera. Add some beer and firewood and I think you would find a way to enjoy yourself. Seen lots of pics from some folks hiking there and it looked beautiful. Take a 6' light action spinning rod and some 1/4 ounce spinners and give it a go.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  6. #6

    Default Lost Lake

    Someone chime in if I'm wrong but a few years ago (4 or 5 maybe) the lake didn't thaw during the summer and most if not all the fish died. There was an article in the Daily News about it, I just can't remember when. I guess it is possible that they have restocked the lake since.

  7. #7
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mntmaster View Post
    Someone chime in if I'm wrong but a few years ago (4 or 5 maybe) the lake didn't thaw during the summer and most if not all the fish died. There was an article in the Daily News about it, I just can't remember when. I guess it is possible that they have restocked the lake since.
    You are correct. I remember that as well. They figure it froze solid that winter and depleted all the oxygen and killed off everything in the lake. I have no idea however, if it has been restocked.

  8. #8

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by mntmaster View Post
    Someone chime in if I'm wrong but a few years ago (4 or 5 maybe) the lake didn't thaw during the summer and most if not all the fish died. There was an article in the Daily News about it, I just can't remember when. I guess it is possible that they have restocked the lake since.
    It is true. There were more years than noted that it stayed frozen, but the paper quit reporting it, because the headlines contradicted with the back page stories. GW was taking center stage. They have not stocked it since.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    127

    Default Lost Lake

    2 years ago my sons and I caught some decent rainbows in the outflowing stream. Nothing big but very tasty and fun. This was in July though. The cabin is awesome!

    Dave

  10. #10

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by standdup View Post
    2 years ago my sons and I caught some decent rainbows in the outflowing stream. Nothing big but very tasty and fun. This was in July though. The cabin is awesome!

    Dave
    Dave,
    That is good to hear. Perhaps there were some seed left. Rainbows out of a good stream are hard to beat for eating purposes. I will make a special trip up there next year and pack some corn meal and lard.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •