Thread: Lost Lake in KPB, Dale Clemens Cabin

Default Lost Lake in KPB, Dale Clemens Cabin

I was wondering if anyone has ever fished Lost Lake on the Kenai Peninsula, just north of Seward. I was thinking of renting a forest service Dale Clemens Cabin in the winter, and was not sure if fishing was any good. If you have been to that cabin, what else is back there to do?
    Thanks
    Vadim

Thumbs up

Well....there is some excellent snowshoeing and snowmaching to be had. That is about it in winter up there.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I spend ALOT of time up there riding snowmachines in the winter as do alot of other people. Quite a few cross country skier as well. I can say I NEVER seen any try to fish the lake though. It is a beuatiful place, but not much for fishing if there is never anyone doing it. I have spent several nights in that cabin and it is an amazing place to wake up in. The view is priceless if not fogged in.

i heard theres dollies there, maybe some grayling, but i dunno

Release Lake Trout

Not sure about fishing, but it would be a hell of a spot to take a camera. Add some beer and firewood and I think you would find a way to enjoy yourself. Seen lots of pics from some folks hiking there and it looked beautiful. Take a 6' light action spinning rod and some 1/4 ounce spinners and give it a go.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Lost Lake

Someone chime in if I'm wrong but a few years ago (4 or 5 maybe) the lake didn't thaw during the summer and most if not all the fish died. There was an article in the Daily News about it, I just can't remember when. I guess it is possible that they have restocked the lake since.

Quote Originally Posted by mntmaster View Post
    Someone chime in if I'm wrong but a few years ago (4 or 5 maybe) the lake didn't thaw during the summer and most if not all the fish died. There was an article in the Daily News about it, I just can't remember when. I guess it is possible that they have restocked the lake since.
    You are correct. I remember that as well. They figure it froze solid that winter and depleted all the oxygen and killed off everything in the lake. I have no idea however, if it has been restocked.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mntmaster View Post
    It is true. There were more years than noted that it stayed frozen, but the paper quit reporting it, because the headlines contradicted with the back page stories. GW was taking center stage. They have not stocked it since.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Lost Lake

2 years ago my sons and I caught some decent rainbows in the outflowing stream. Nothing big but very tasty and fun. This was in July though. The cabin is awesome!

Dave

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by standdup View Post
    2 years ago my sons and I caught some decent rainbows in the outflowing stream. Nothing big but very tasty and fun. This was in July though. The cabin is awesome!

Dave
    Dave,
    That is good to hear. Perhaps there were some seed left. Rainbows out of a good stream are hard to beat for eating purposes. I will make a special trip up there next year and pack some corn meal and lard.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~