Thread: rough notes of unit 20 harvest data

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default rough notes of unit 20 harvest data

okay bear with me i was writing fast and was getting incomplete date at first none of this includes general season harvest tag holder numbers

first

the white mountain caribou herd is low with a bull 13 to cow 100 ratio they are experiencing a low calf recruitment again this year. they had a group of younger cows joined the 40mile herd for a good part of the winter and do not know how many have returned.

unit 20A sheep sheep numbers are up.... however full cull rams counts are very low. this last season they have reported 55 rams harvested of an average of 87 rams from the central Alaska range.

20A caribou. again 30% of the tag holders did not hunt it.

of the 150 tags 47 caribou were harvested

20A any bull hunt of the 1000 tags issued 321 did not hunt

with an annual harvest goal of 200 there were 189 harvested
    the 20A cow hunt of 83 hunters 56 cow were harvested

20B has a goal of 280-300 moose harvested this hunt is only 2/3 complete with the November and minto hunts to happen as we the late FMA

currently they are at 160 cows harvested

the % of hunters that held harvest tags willnot be completed unitl about march. the above moose numbers are draw tags only.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince,
    Thanks for posting the information.
    Usually need to have initial productivity counts to understand what low ram counts might mean.
    Again - thanks for posting the information.
    Joe (Ak)

Thanks for the info, Vince. I'm pretty surprised at the harvest rate for 20A caribou. If 30% didn't hunt, then that was almost a 50% success rate for those that did. I didn't think it would be even close to that high.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for the info, Vince. I'm pretty surprised at the harvest rate for 20A caribou. If 30% didn't hunt, then that was almost a 50% success rate for those that did. I didn't think it would be even close to that high.
    he did make the comment that it seemed a lot more hunters went to the field this year... but the did not hunt % is always high on this one... many do not realise the work or expense involved to get in far enough to see them...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Area #3 Moose

http://www.thewrangellsentinel.com/S...02209moose.htm

I believe there were five Illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post

I am curous of the sheep harvest of how many were red tagged... Aside from our one memeber who has already suffered enough...

meet on face book here

Do you know how many permits will be issued for the 20A antlerless winter hunts?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Do you know how many permits will be issued for the 20A antlerless winter hunts?

no but they were said to be in the hardest to reach withmost moose left zones... all the way over towards the delta side...

meet on face book here