Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Nancy lake area pike

  1. #1
    Member Lvnthdrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    36

    Default Nancy lake area pike

    Any thoughts on pike fishing in the Nancy lake area in the road accessible ones?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Nancy Lake itself is pretty slow usually, although right now might be good, since it's chilly outside. I usually troll or cast in the early morning in the summer, otherwise, just put a herring on the hook and throw it out with a bobber, usually get a bite every hour or so. We usually rent a forest service cabin on the lake, so fishing is not the primary reason to go there for us.
    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    I put a whole day of effort into that lake in June of last year. I motored the whole lake and fished every cove and every inlet/outlet of every stream that looked promising. I got skunked I tried trolling around schools of bait, casting, and some hooligan........no luck.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I put a whole day of effort into that lake in June of last year. I motored the whole lake and fished every cove and every inlet/outlet of every stream that looked promising. I got skunked I tried trolling around schools of bait, casting, and some hooligan........no luck.
    Mainer, that is normal, one day I would catch 5 pike, sitting with a bobber, the next day, nothing, dead, and the day after it would be good again, I don't know what they need. I do know that going there during the work week is much better, no people and the fish are not scared into the corners with boaters. Red shirt lake seems better, as far as fishing goes.

  5. #5

    Wink

    F&G has been real busy using set nets on Nancy Lake and every lake that is road accessible in the Mat Su that they know to have Pike in them. They have also been using the nets in the Deshka, Alexander, Moose and Indian Rivers and a few of the sloughs. They have been pretty successful at eradicating the Pike from the easy to get to places. If you want to fish for Pike, you will need to hit some of the out of way/hard to get to lakes and sloughs. It is unreasonable for some to think they might get into some good Pike fishing by driving or a short boat ride.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Like Akres said, any road accessible pike fishing has had the living crap fished out of it... there are still some nice fish around but they are getting harder to find.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  7. #7
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    I've had really good luck in the past portaging into Jackknife Lake and Frazer Lake. They both have good pike numbers, or at least did a few years ago when I last went. They are connected via a little meandering canal/stream that also holds pike. You can usually site fish for these, as it's narrow and not very deep. Lots of fun on a top-water lure like a floating Rapala.

    Never used actual bait. Always had good action on a variety of lures. Probably good fishing this time of year right before the freeze if you want an adventure. It's a bit of work to get back there, but I've always found it worth it. You should be able to find maps of the canoe trails around town, or DNR I think should have some.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •