Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Leica or Ziess

  1. #1
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default Leica or Ziess

    Trying to decide between Leicas 10 X 32 Ultravids for $2200.00 or
    A pair of Zeiss 10 X 30 Conquest for $700.00.
    This will be my all around hunting Binocs to replace a cheap pair of compacts.
    Must be some diffrence between the two, I have looked thru the Leicas, but can not lay my hands on a Zeiss here in Fbks.?????
    Opinions????
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  2. #2
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    There's a reason for the cost difference. If you have the money to consider the Leica HDs then forget the conquests and get the ultravid HDs.

    Brett

  3. #3
    Member chriso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    There's a reason for the cost difference. If you have the money to consider the Leica HDs then forget the conquests and get the ultravid HDs.

    Brett
    Hiya Gramps,

    I imagine you know that the Zeiss Conquest series is not the line they intended to compete head to head with the Ultravid/Swarovski offerings? The Zeiss Victory series would be more fair in comparison with them. However, the price point of the Conquests make them a great deal for the money so I guess its a question of how much you decide to spend in the end... so if you're really contemplating a pair of Ultravids, you should look at some Zeiss Victory's to more accurately compare the differences.

    Doug at Cameraland has some smokin' deals on the Zeiss Vitctory in the magnification range you're looking at:

    http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=523221

    Of course the LotuTech water repellant coating on the newer ones is the "trickest" version they offer, but the non-lotutech model for under 800 bucks is a steal in my opinion.

    Brand wise, I dont think you could go wrong with any of them... Zeiss, Leica, or Swaro... and I have a hard time to tell the difference when looking through them as the variances are truly minute. I can tell the difference pretty readily though, between their top offerings and their pricepoint offerings so if you truly want the light gathering and clarity attributes they are all famous for you'll want to give the higher pricepoint stuff a second look before you make your final decision.

  4. #4
    Member n0g0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    95

    Default Beaver Sports?

    Gramps, have you checked Beaver Sports for Zeiss binos? I know that they use to sell them. Both the Zeiss and Leica are amazing optics. Personally, I would save the extra $1500 and go with the Zeiss.

  5. #5
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    I imagine you know that the Zeiss Conquest series is not the line they intended to compete head to head with the Ultravid/Swarovski offerings? The Zeiss Victory series would be more fair in comparison with them. However, the price point of the Conquests make them a great deal for the money so I guess its a question of how much you decide to spend in the end... so if you're really contemplating a pair of Ultravids, you should look at some Zeiss Victory's to more accurately compare the differences.
    Agreed hence my reccomendation to forget the conquests if ultravids are in your price range. Conquests and ultravids aren't even comparable. Ultravids, ELs, or Victories? If you can afford them take your pick of which you prefer and go with it. I went with ultravids.

    Brett

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    We sell Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski Binos.

    To my eye, the Swarovskis are the best, followed by the German Zeiss and Leicas (tie)

    Swarovski is the easiest of the German companies to do biz with for us here in Alaska, simply because their rep is so good. Zeiss is next. Leica can be a pain.

  7. #7
    Member chriso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    We sell Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski Binos.

    To my eye, the Swarovskis are the best, followed by the German Zeiss and Leicas (tie)

    Swarovski is the easiest of the German companies to do biz with for us here in Alaska, simply because their rep is so good. Zeiss is next. Leica can be a pain.
    And that reputation here in Alaska is long and favorable. (kind of matches yours Ken! ) I remember fishing with Dr Weiss back in the late 70's, he was a good guy and a good friend to our family.

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    Gramps, have you checked Beaver Sports for Zeiss binos? I know that they use to sell them. Both the Zeiss and Leica are amazing optics. Personally, I would save the extra $1500 and go with the Zeiss.
    Yup, Beaver Sports carries Zeiss.

  9. #9
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    I haven't check this for a day, a lot of good info,
    I did realize the Zeiss Conquest were not meant to compete with the U-Vids.
    I wish money was not part of the equation, but as usual the bread is large and the butter is skimpy, so I need to spread it around.
    Last time in was in Beaver sports, I did not see any Zeiss optics, I will have to check again?? As looking through them w/ my own eyes will be helpful, often times it can be deceiving standing in a artificial environment (store) trying to evaluate optics.
    What I have heard more than once, is it can be hard to tell the actual difference in optics when you get into the top brands?
    I have spoke to some one that has a Swaro 10 X 32 El and Zeiss 10 X 30, conquest and he claims he can not tell the difference between the two.
    So was wondering if you guys with some experience in the field, that have spent some time sitting on the side of a mountain looking around and have swapped glasses with a buddy (like I have), you know they are better when you don't want to give them back.! Or vise-versa.....
    That's the kinda comparison I'm looking for.
    Thanks all.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  10. #10

    Default sportsman's warehouse

    Sportsman's warehouse has the big three. Take a dollar bill and staple it to the handloading post 25 yards from the optics bar. That will allow you to see which works best for your eyes. They will also let you take them outside which is a good experience. The numbers of each to the top level is less after their financial restructure and I don't think that they have the HDs which are on another level.
    Frontier Outfitters has Swarovski binoculars.. Guns and Ammo on 6th has Gold Rings...
    I think that they also have the Zeiss 10X30 conquest and victory lines at Big Ray's.
    You can't go wrong with looking at different binoculars and then ordering from
    Doug.

    Cameraland is the best source for optics on the planet bar none.

    Sincerely,
    Thomas

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •