Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice auger ?

Default Ice auger ?

Im looking at buying a new ice auger. I know it would be easy to go to SW and buy a Jiffy/ Eskimo.. eyc etc etc... But they all have mixed reviews. So im looking at getting a Nils Master Ice auger. I havent read any bad reviews yet on them. The Power heads are supposed to be bulletproof. Does anyone have any useful reviews or experience w them her in AK or anywhere for that matter?
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

I don't....but I'll tell you to try and stay away from the jiffy. I'm on my second.....the first one crapped the bed. I have the big STX model...but at least it aint a bunch of brittle plastic like the Eskimo brand and other power augers I've seen. I will say that the Tecumseh engine on mine (their biggest one) has a dogs breath muffler read.....LOUD! And the thing takes a long time to warm up.....you have to run it on half choke for a couple holes before you can even run it without it bogging down.

I have a Strikemaster Cobra 3hp 10" that runs mint.
    It takes about 2 or 3 minutes to warm up then it's game on.
    When I got it I ran a gallon mixed with regular dino oil for break in (mixed a little rich) and then switched to Opti 2 full synthetic mixed according to the instructions on the oil container. The synthetic makes a huge difference in how your engine runs. Easier start up, no smoke, no bogging, revs up faster, more power, no plug fouling and no unburt oil oozing out the exhaust.

I have an Eskimo 8" and I'm not real impressed with it. You will get her running hot and then she just won't drill, she'll idle.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Auger

Thanks guys. Seem like the same results most people have. Some work great, others not so great. I guess since theyre not a whole lot more and i havent heard much bad about em i aughtta go ahead and buy one. Like how im pawning it off on you guys? Well the guys on the forum said dont get this one, and this ones crap so i HAVE to get one.
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Mtn,

I bought a hand-powered auger for a whopping three bucks at a local garage sale this past summer. Can anyone tell me what I got myself into? I plan on using it....Bring the popcorn!

I bought a hand-powered auger for a whopping three bucks at a local garage sale this past summer. Can anyone tell me what I got myself into?
    Does it have an extension? Lol

I was looking for a Jiffy, but I heard they changed the motor this year and Sportsmans will not be carrying them this year.

i bought a 10" eskimo mako 3hrs last year and used it all winter long, i like it.....have not had any problems with it and drills great....i bought a 12" extension for it and without that......well it wouldnt have been much fishin

Release Lake Trout

Smile Jiffy fan

My advice would be to look real hard for an older model jiffy. I have a jiffy that I bought new in 1985 that has never failed me, and I would match it with dependability and toughness against anything else. This is a 3 hp motor/9" bore. It has bounced around on snowmachine sleds all over Ak for almost 25 years and still running strong on original spark plug and no maintenance. Hard to believe....even for me. But every year when I break it out I expect to have to do some kind of repair work...but never happens. She starts right up and just shreds ice. You guys can say what you will, but there is nothing out there that will beat this auger.
    Not sure...maybe the newer ones are junk. Probably like most everything else...just not made like they used to be.
    Good luck with whatever rig you choose.

Jiffy 3hp, 10"....52 holes < 10 minutes...

the verdict is still out on this auger for me....my first one gave me motor issues....got it exchanged for another and has run great thus far....one thing is certain though, when the STX is running, it absolutely rips a hole in the ice, and quickly
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Southern colloquialism? "It'll do in a jiffy!" ...Great marketing name!

i picked up a slightly used strikemaster laser lite 2hp 10" and so far its been ok. Took forever to get going however, had to let it idle for about three or four minutes before it would make any cutting effort. Seems alright though i went out yesterday and poked about 7 holes in the ice in a couple minutes with no effort.

Default auger race

we aughtta get together for the 1st annual auger drag races...

I fish out of a ice shack all winter and was thinking about an battery auger. I would think the cold would effect the battery performance but if i kept the batteries warm it may be a good plan.. Any thoughts on this?

Default Battery Auger

I think if you could keep the batteries warm it would be ok. But if its -25 and you put it in the sled to pull out on the ice it will probably be dead before you use it.

I hear ya on the dead batteries. BUT it is only a ten minute ride to the shack and they can be warmed up if neccesary in the shack. But I will agree the cold is the issue. Just be nice to drill holes in the shack without all the smoke...

Default Ice augers

Bought an 8" Eskimo 7-8 years ago and I have had no problems with it at all. I really like the design of the motor.
    Also have a 10" jiffy and am not impressed at all with it. Takes too long to warm up and I still have to use the primer to keep it running at times.
    I have also had trouble with snow packing up around the engine and causing problems. This happen when I tow it in a sled behind my snomachine. Never ever had this problems with my Eskimo as the engine is more enclosed.
    My eskimo is not as fast as a Jiffy but there is also no reverse gear box to break either.
    Have not tried the electric augers yet but they look like they would work great in an ice shanty situation. Also most electrics are made to work well in corners of wood ice shantys. And no lingering fumes. If you use a vehicle to access your shanty you could probably run it off the vehicles battery.
    If not you should get at least a couple dozen holes off of one marine battery just keep it charged and indoors between trips.
    Have had no problems with the battery on my vexilar flasher even down to -30.you could also try wrapping your battery in a blanket or something to keep it warm.
    As for hand augers keep the blades sharp and you should be good at least until the ice gets to 12" or so. lots of work but a whole lot cheaper. Just remember to use a sharpener designed for auger blades or scissors as the baldes are single edged and sharpening both sides will ruin them.
    Also make sure you only replace with hand auger blades as power auger blades will not work on a hand auger.you can run hand auger blades on a power auger but it will cut slower.
    Power auger blades are notched for chipping witch is much faster. Hand auger blades are smooth all the way across for shaving the ice witch is easier.
    I would highly recommend the Eskimo brand of augers.
    just my opinion CHRIS

Default Hand augers

One more thing on hand augers.
    If you have one of the older thread together hand augers(I believe they are made by Mora) you need to place a large washer(one that just fits over the threads) on it or you will never get it apart again.
    The washer prevents the top half from over tightening onto the bottom half. Found this out the hard way as a kid as we tried to get it apart to fit in the trunk of a friends dads car. was never a problem after we installed the washer.
    CHRIS

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    I think if you could keep the batteries warm it would be ok. But if its -25 and you put it in the sled to pull out on the ice it will probably be dead before you use it.

I have an icegator battery auger and it is the greatest invention since the tip-up. I leave it on the ice and it works just fine. I drilled a dozen holes in 4 feet of ice on Big Lake last year. It was -20 and it still had juice for more. Ice gator is also a VERY customer friendly company. I had an issue with mine, logged it on their website, and got a phone call from their head engineer that night.

It is much more reliable than the old Jiffy I had. I wouldn't trade it for any gas auger on the market today.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

did you order your iceagatoer and what blade do you use? Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast