Thread: Juneau area deer

Default Juneau area deer

I would like to hunt deer this Nov in the Juneau area. I have a truck and would do hunting on foot. Where is a good place to start on douglas or auk bay area? Any trails to start off from? I know this area is pressured and most would like to keep one more person out of the woods, but any advice would help. Thanks

Default Question

Have you had much experience chasing blacktails? If so what areas? Douglas deer tend to behave a bit different than the blacktails in other portions of southeast. Another thing to consider is that the mainland does have a few deer but they are concentrated in small areas and can be difficult to locate. Most people go to Douglas because of the "any deer" season versus bucks only on the mainland. My biggest tip for Douglas is to find a good looking spot that is tough to get to. The easy spots get hit pretty hard and there is almost always a croud. If you have some flexibility I would try to hunt during the week when there aren't as many people.
    I don't really have any spots to tell you but plan on hitting the snow line. Douglas deer don't like to move down the mountain unless they have to.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Douglas deer tend to behave a bit different than the blacktails in other portions of southeast.
    10-4. Blow a deer call and you are guaranteed that any deer within earshot are long gone.

Hunt off Fish Creek Rd. or off the end of N. Douglas Hwy.

Google Earth has high resolution for all of Douglas within the road system.

GPS is a good tool for the end of Douglas Island. There are some big, brushy flat areas to contend with.

Mainland is bucks only. Finally scored my first mainland buck last year.

And go easy on the does and yearlings would ya, the deer are still trying to bounce back.

Since you are hunting the rut, you just need to find where the deer are herding up or get lucky and find a buck wandering for love with his nose on the ground and oblivious to just about everything. Had this happen to me a couple of years ago up Fish Creek as I was hunting into the wind.

Lightbulb Douglas

If your going to hunt douglas the best thing to do is start out before light to get to your spot and Hike farther and higher than everybody else. You almost need hooves to get to where the deer are. Half of juneau sets foot over there sometime during the season. And believe me there are some real long legged hunters out there. Most of the deer run to the backside of the island after opening week and especially when doe season starts. There are some big sneaky suckers over there though. I dropped a respectable 3x3 year before last on the backside. I was up real high in about 2 feet of snow.

Default Magnum

I can't agree more, whenever I hit Douglas I hike for a couple hours in the dark before I even get to an area I think is worth hunting. Then you still have to get up to the highest pocket of timber up in the snow. I used to try and go for a "quick" hunt on Douglas but that always turned into walking with a gun. Anymore it seems like I only get a year or two at a spot before people find out about it.

Skagway,
    If you choose to hit north Douglas there are large portions of native land that you aren't allowed to hunt. I'm sure people do, but technically you need to be a member of Goldbelt.