View Poll Results: Is antler destruction effective in reducing hunting pressure?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 44.30%
  • No

65 43.62%
  • Undecided

18 12.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antler destruction hunts, for or against

Default Antler destruction hunts, for or against

I don't know enough about the effects that going to antler destruction has on the hunting pressure.

First, are you for or against it for controlling hunting pressure?

Second, why?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

For controlling hunting pressure, no. I do not think it would have much effect. I know I would hunt my usual areas if they went to "antler destruction"as my main goal in a hunt is the hunt itself, and the meat in the freezer.

Now, antler destruction on a "subsistance" or teir II or whatever hunt, obsolutely. If it is a subsistense hunt, the antlers should be left in the field not just cut in half as is now required in some hunts. Bring out both halfs, and you can easily put them back together again.

Good question. This should be interesting.

Lots of new non-resident hunts in my area of choice. Guess I have to say maybe... kinda..somewhat pressure would decrease if antlers had to be split.

A good taxidermist ruins this theory though

If the antlers had to be destroyed or donated to the blind carver on the corner of 5th and Gst then yes.. it would help.

I think it does eliminate some people from the pool so I voted "yes". That said I doubt that it will cause any surplus tags to be left in any hunt that it is implemented.

I have to disagree w/ theultrarider on the left in the field requirement. For a subsistance hunt the horns should be allowed to be removed from the field and turned into art for resale. That is a "subsistence" activity in my opinion.

IMHO most people in subsistence regions (at least up here) don't hunt for antlers anyway so no i don't think it would change hunting pressure at all. Up here in unit 23 most of the people leave the antlers out in the field its evident by finding caribou racks all over the place during and after hunting season. the first thing people do is lop off the head and leave it and take the rest. trophy destruction might slow peole down but the best method is (would be) only subsistance hunt in the unit you live in that keeps trophy hunters away.
    edit: definately agree about the removal for artwork it should absolutely be allowed

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I think it does eliminate some people from the pool so I voted "yes". That said I doubt that it will cause any surplus tags to be left in any hunt that it is implemented.

I have to disagree w/ theultrarider on the left in the field requirement. For a subsistance hunt the horns should be allowed to be removed from the field and turned into art for resale. That is a "subsistence" activity in my opinion.
    Agreed. I was thinking of all the nice Nelchina bulls hanging on walls though when I made that statement. Not sure how you would prevent that, yet allow the proper subsistance use of antlers.

Default This is a tough one...

I am on the fence on this one. I am a dedicated meat hunter. I also would not pass up a large animal with a nice set of horns. I think destroying antlers would reduce some trophy hunting. I have a really bad taste for non-resident trophy hunters (and resident ones for that matter). I remember as a kid growing up in the Yukon Territory listening to guides brag about their hunters not wanting the cape so they used a chain saw to cut the horns off and take the backstraps, leaving the rest to rot.

I like the idea of using the horns for crafts, etc. to support a subsistance lifestyle. Bottom line, hunting should be for meat first and foremost. Getting a nice set of antlers is a bonus, but should not be the motive for hunting.

Default Wording

The way the question is worded, I voted no. I think enough people want to hunt for the experience and for the meat that antler destruction would not be that effective. It would keep some people from hunting, but not enough to make a difference, in my opinion. By the way - antler destruction used to be defined such that you could do it just by cutting the skull plate in half, right? So as was mentioned already, you could easily still mount the rack.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Why not give a person the choice.

Give the antler to F&G or cut them in half and you can hunt any bull; or keep the antler intact and you can hunt spike fork/ 50 / 3 bow tine.

You can't eat antlers and they are a pain to pack out. No, antler destruction won't significantly alter hunting pressure, unless you count the 7 guys from Texas who are working on their stupid "Super Slam". But they will just go elsewhere, so if anything you'll shift a minute fraction of the hunters to another spot.

I know a dozen guys from the Kenai area who have been going down the Yukon River for many years for their hunts. They were going before the antler destruction rule. The imposition of the rule didn't phaze a single one of them and they still go there to fill their freezers. For a couple years they just glued the cut antler back together. Then the fish-n-feathers got "real smart" and started taking the cut off piece. So now they mount partial antlers. No matter, it still tells the story and they actually get more questions about the cut off racks and get to share tales of the state's dumbest game rules in action.

So yeah, I think the rule is stupid and has no practical affect on the hunting pressure, plus it's costing us money in having the wildlife cops manning these check points where they have to do the cuttings. Just harrassment of law-abiding hunters IMHO.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

My experiance is this;

Here ,in Unit 23 we can Subsistance hunt Muskox. It used to be that we would get a fed tag or draw a Teir II,and pick our own harvest dates, with in the season. Muskox are simply devine, fat in March, Bull or Cow..... Now, its open to the whole state, not just locals. We get them right away, if we want one to avoid the 16 or so from being harvested and missing out.
    Its mid summer and we gaive away and dry the meat to prevent spoilage.
    We used to hunt them fat in March, but now its Bulls in August.
    I think that the requirement that the horns be destroyed at the ADFnG in Kotz prevents 16 Bulls from dying August 1st before I can get mine.....
    We take them home, since we live in the unit and the destruction required only occurs if we remove them from the game unit. cant sell them "Whole" either.
    We make black powder Horns outta them, as well as spoons amarrow knifes and goggles. We can only sell them if they have been substantialy alterd.

In the 80's, 90's and a few 0' years , we had non resident hunters up this way in droves. They could harvest 5 caribou here. It brought like 80&#37; of nonresident Caribou Hunters to unit 23. $00,000+ My wife made an absolute $$$$killing from her arts and crafts sales to these "Cabellas Army" prvates. We always took 20 or so things with us when we went hunting, as we would sell them outta the boat to guys we came across, even kayakers, floaters, and hikers, all with Caribou .
    Kotzebue front street in Mid september has been a 10,000$ day for my wife, before

Now they are limited to only one, and it seems there are not nearly the #'s of them outthere. I belive this happend because of one too many cases of spoiled meat, by the time they gfot it to the airport, where FnG guys wer(Brownshirt) Among other issues and complaints, Guys were simply getting too much to handle, and probly no experiance with even dealing with that much meat....and it led to waste.
    Since the 1 caribou rule, I think most non res are hunting other parts of the state now. I belive that if they had to destroy the trophy value of their catch, they would not come at all.

Yes we leave our antlers out in the country, and we have piles of antlers and skulls that were shot right here in Noorvik, from my house and down by the boats park. My wife does carve them, and we use them in parts of various crafts to sell, to buy more gas, to hunt again.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thanks for the posts. Please keep 'em coming.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i married a big rack to many times they are not worth the trouble
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Thanks for the posts. Please keep 'em coming.

I love hanging antlers from my shed I've got small ones, medium ones and big ones they are all amazing pieces of art. To me it is a waste of something beautiful. I shoot the first legal moose I see every year, and they are all trophy's to me.

The people hunting strictly for antler size are not hunting from ATVS or Boats but fly out guided hunts so most antler destruction regs don't do as much for hunting pressure as some would hope.

Its like being against big oil or drug companies its easy to be against trophy hunters. I feed 12 people with my "trophy's" but I still love the look of a set of antlers and every one has a good memory and a story.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Thumbs up Absolutely

A HUGE ABSOLUTELY YES.
    All antlers and horns of game animals should be required to be destroyed and left in the field. Period. For all hunts, Moose, Caribou, Bison, Sheep and Goats.
    Bears should have their paws removed and their skulls smashed and left in the field.
    Fish should have to have their heads chopped off immediately upon landing them. And every fish caught should have to be retained and counted against your bag limit. Catch and Release Fishing should be banned outright.
    This alone will show the greenies that we are serious about the animal and fish and not the trophy value associated with them.
    Photographs of fish and game before being processed for eating should be banned from publishing in magazines, books and the internet. This will go a long way to limiting the interest. Pictures are just too much for young impressionable minds and the Hero Shots just propagate the Trophy Mentality.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Yes

I agree cutting antlers will reduce pressure, however that pressure is based on circumstance and given hunting grounds. Case in point, Koyukuk CUA. Up until KCUA's intro, there was alot of guide presence in certain areas, and these certain guides would only target big bulls - Planes in the air, scouts on the ground like clockwork on the hour day by day. F&G was well aware of the situation, they had stopped in camp and later on the river after we had moose on the ground. This was before it went to a draw area - but reasoning enough to make it a draw area. We never saw many people hunting, once we hit Ella's Cabin the banks would be lined with boats.

Most folks simply dont have the $$ it takes to make such a trip, your talkin $2-3k in fuel, plus you need the boat. I don't know of many folks to go up there for a meat trip - but I believe most folks who go up there for meat are accompanying a group with tags.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    All right.....................That was totally random.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    A HUGE ABSOLUTELY YES.
    All antlers and horns of game animals should be required to be destroyed and left in the field. Period. For all hunts, Moose, Caribou, Bison, Sheep and Goats.
    Bears should have their paws removed and their skulls smashed and left in the field.
    Fish should have to have their heads chopped off immediately upon landing them. And every fish caught should have to be retained and counted against your bag limit. Catch and Release Fishing should be banned outright.
    This alone will show the greenies that we are serious about the animal and fish and not the trophy value associated with them.
    Photographs of fish and game before being processed for eating should be banned from publishing in magazines, books and the internet. This will go a long way to limiting the interest. Pictures are just too much for young impressionable minds and the Hero Shots just propagate the Trophy Mentality.
    I realize you have no moose antlers, bear hides, or sheep horns in your possession from any of your hunts and thats fine. You concept sounds great. Except its a little hard to enforce hunting regulations on antler/horn restricted hunts. I can see it now "I promise it was 50" or "it was an 8 year old sheep I swear".

Truth is antlers are used for more than hanging on the wall. They are used as a matter of verifying the animals taken were legal under certain antler restrictions as well. I would seriously doubt however that the majority of the hunters here would quit hunting if they had to turn their antlers over to F&G after the hunt. Most hunters here I believe are out hunting much more for the meat and experience of the hunt than the antlers. In fact especially when backpacking they are just extra weight. However, don't get me wrong I enjoy looking at various animal mounts as well though, and even have a couple in my house. It reminds me of the hunt and all the aspects of that hunt that transpired that were involved in harvesting that animal just as much as ever bite of meat I ate from that animal. The problem is the meats gone in a year so its nice to have the mount that lasts a little longer to bring back the memories.

As far as hero shots. Most hunters take pics with their animals before they are cleaned to help them better remember that hunt years later. Although I do enjoy seeing pics of a loaded down meat pole as well. Also I agree that making art out of antlers is also a fun way put those antlers to use. So I'd say that no I don't that antler destruction wouldn't have a large impact on deterring Alaskans from hunting at all.

My opinion is that this law doesn't work, if the whole idea is to decrease the hunting pressure of trophy bulls in a particular area. The majority of people I have talked to that moose hunt in areas that require antler destruction (cutting the palm off horizontally and turning it in to F&G), continue not only to hunt these areas but also try and take the biggest moose that they can find. They can still take as many photos of their trophy prior to destroying it and that's good enough for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast