Thread: got my Moose with my Whelen..!

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default got my Moose with my Whelen..!

Hey all,

I had said I would give a little report on my Newfoundland Moose Hunt...

Well, First let me just say, I had forgotten just how rugged that country really is. Dad is 70 years old now, and he sure got a work out..!

On with the story...
    My dad and I hiked back into a spike camp with our outfitter, and by the time we arived back in there (the main camp is back in 21 miles to start with) we had walked the legs completely off poor ol' Dad. It was snowing hard and the wind was brutal. Dad stayed and watched over a large bog, and rested his ticker for a while while out outfitter and I went for a walk, making a big circle back to dad. While making that hike my outfitter suggested that we stop and have a bit of our packed lunch. I was wet and didn't want to stay stopped for too long so we quickly eat and had a good bit of time to glass before getting back to the circle we were making around to my dad. I was just about to slip my pack back on when my outfitter said, "There's a Moose..!" I really thought he was just giving me a stir so I didn't get too excited. Well, he wasn't joking with me, and there we watched with suprise as the bull crept from the black spruce heading our way. We were above him slightly, crouching down up on a rock ledge over looking the bog that the Moose was coming out on to as he was looking for the cow that was calling to him from my outfitters cupped hands. Like on a string he came in, then stopped suddenly and turned slightly quartering towards us. I took that moment to look "through" the Moose as to where my bullet should go. I felt good about his position, and because he had the wind in his favor I descided "Now is the time..!"
    I held the cross-hairs on his near shoulder and then reminded myself to "pick-a-spot" as I pressed the trigger (because I hunt with a single shot, I don't touch the trigger unless the cross-hairs are where I want them).
    At the shot the 250 grain partition began its work, smashing through the near shoulder, ribs, both lungs, and exiting out the far side just below the center line behind the far shoulder. I ejected the casing as the bull took a step, reloaded the next cartridge to make a follow up shot, and as I was drawing up the falling block behind that round the Moose took his third step but before I got the butt of the rifle to my shoulder he fell.
    My outfitter said, "Man, I don't know where you hit him, but he sure went down fast..!"
    As a hunter that's about as good as it gets for the animals we hunt, quick and clean. I am not knocking other calibers of lesser bore, but I will say this... Use a proven bullet in a cartridge. If it is a marginal cartridge make sure it falls on the right side of that margin. I know Moose can soak up some lead, and until the oxygen is cut off from their brain they will go, and go.., and go. I saw some Moose there at camp that were shot well, as far as bullet placement goes...but, several follow up shots were needed.
    Now, I like my 35 Whelen, and this is the biggest animal I have taken with it, so it "proves" little. But my experience coupled along side many others over the decades since Townsend Whelen suggested it's developement would suggest that the 35 Whelen is not a marginal cartridge.., at least not for Big non dangerous game.

Newfoundland Moose can be quite large, though not as large as the Alaskan. Mine produced 435 lbs of edible meat, and sported 9 "points" having a 33" spread.., not the biggest in the woods, but definately a keeper..!

Thanks for letting me share.
    Would be happy to respond to questions, or comments.

Default Long live the Whelen!

Congratulations on the moose. What a great story and I am sure you had a great time. That's the kind of performance I expect with the Whelen and Partition bullets. I love the .35s of all flavors and the only difference I can tell in terminal performance in the 35 Whelen and 338 WM is the ability of the 338 to shoot a bit further in the field. Of course the 35 recoils less and can hold a few more cartridges in a similar rifle, so in my mind it is a reasonable trade-off. Again, congrats on the moose. I am glad you got that experience with your dad.

Thumbs up way to go...

I have never owned or shot a .35 Whelen. I do believe it is a very good moose and bear round, especially with todays "super bullets". The great Nosler Partition is probably the best "all around" expanding bullet ever made. That is a good moose story and thanks for sharing.

Good deal,congrats

Thumbs up Great Post!

Liked reading your account - Thanks. I have always been interested in building, owning, (or presenting my Dad) a .35 Whelen or .375 Whelen with a 20" BBL, cross-bolts, & full Manlicher stock.

358wsm, I'm not sure if I miss read, did you use a Ruger No. 1 chambered in 35 Whelen? I read falling block and single shot... What kind of rifle did you use?

Thumbs up

Good job on your moose 358wsm glad to hear your Whelen worked so well for you. How did your dad do hunting? When do we get to see the pictures of your moose and hunt?
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Talking Hats off to the 35's!

Yes indeed.....the ol Whelen......great story!

I've had similiar experiences with my 358 win, same effect on moose. Sounds like your dad is one tough ol son of a gun too.....hiking all those miles!

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default indeed..!

Yes, I would like to post some pics on here..., is there somewhere within the site map where I can get instructions as to how posting of pictures is to be done..?

Also, Dad is in much better shape now at the end of the hunt than he was going in... I got him to committ to going to the gym (where he could be supervised) and work on his cardio, and body strength, good thing he did.
    Dad and his buddy did some calling, one great bull came in from behind them very, very close . When the next call went out, well, that ol' Bull was less than 20 feet from them, and realizing that the men were not what he came looking for he boiled out of there. How can a 1000lb. animal be so quiet.., simply amazing..! Yes, dad is a real hunter, he could of taken a pot shot of a bull running at another set-up, but elected not to.., and he much prefers to call instead of "spot and stalk." Something about "..they got 4 leggs, we only have 2...let them come to us...!"

My rifle...
    About 4-5 years ago Ruger made a special Limited run of #1-KA stainless/walnut rifles, a 22" barrel complete with open sights in the 35 Whelen chambering (250 were made).
    I was fortunate enough to be working down in the southeast portion of the states, and one sunday morning at church a feller told me that there was a gun show at the Dullas Expo Center in Virginia. I got directions from him as to how to find the place and checked it out. I couldn't believe it, there was a dealer there way back in the far corner with a couple of tables of firearms, and a small gun rack display which, half way up held the little Ruger as discribed..! Well, I have hunted with this gun exclusively sinse then for Whitetails, and I've paid close attention to shot placement and bullet performance (I am a handloader). It has never been less than outstanding.
    I have done a couple of things to the rifle/load combination to get it to shoot.., ah, to shoot well. I floated the barrel, freeing it completely from contact with the forend, and I have "shortened" the amount of freebore it has as per the extremely long throat it has. Well, no.., I didn't shorten the freebore, I loaded the bullets to .015 off the lands of the rifling. This I can accomplish with the 225 TSX, and the 250 Partition (Swift 280's and Woodleigh 310's will also work), conventional 225's are completely out of the case mouth before engauging the rifling.., and groups indicate this is not the best situation for this particular rifle. I load it up with reworked Winchester 30-06 brass, CCI BR primers, a moderate dose of H4895 ( i just happen to have several lbs. on hand), and either the 225 grain TSX or the 250 grain Partition (both give good accuracy). After a couple of fouling shots (enter "less expensive" bullets here), this rifle will shoot.
    I find it VERY handy to carry, and the ultralight Leupold adds nothing to the weight of the package.

Thanks for all the congrats, the interest in my hunt with dad, and the shared interest in the 35's. I have been thinking about something along the lines of the 35-284 Winchester on a short action/ Mountian Rifle, I find that the 225 Partition in that case does not encroach upon powder capacity and yet it fits easily in a 2.800" magazine.. No, it wouldn't be any "better" than my current set up, but definately a fine number for my kind of hunting.

Good to be back in the States, too.
    Canadian hunters really have it rough compared to the freedoms we Americans still have. Something I shall never take for granted.

358wsm, What a great story! It has always been interesting to me how the circumstances all come together with the gun, the people, the game... I am a big fan of the Ruger No. 1 and my ears perked up with the key words in there. The No.1 is the modern day sharps in my opinion and you have a special one at that. Hunting with a single shot makes a person a more deliberate rifleman. If you post some pictures, post one of the rifle, We'd love to see it.

P.S. I would go to photobucket.com, create an account, load the picture there. When you go into the reply text box, at the top you'll see a little ICON with a mountain on there. You will copy the photo URL from photobucket to the pop-up. Then you can post the URL and we should be able to see your pics.

Default Easiest way to post pictures...

is to go down below the "Reply" response text box, to "Additional Options", then "Attach Files", and hit "Manage Attachments". Then go to browse your photos from your hard drive, and put the photo's address in that block.....it helps to bring up your photos to look at from your hard drive in another window to make sure you're getting the right shot. OR...look at the photo in the computer's viewer, right click, hit "properties", highlight, right click and save, then go back to the browse block, right click, then "paste" and put it in there direct.

By the way...sounds like a GREAT hunt! My own Dad's hunting these days is from the seat of the truck, as his walker don't do too well in the sagebrush and lava rocks. Still good to see him get out, if nothing else to get some sunshine!
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 10-23-2009 at 05:54. Reason: .

That is excellent you took a moose with the 35 Whelen. The largest animal I have taken with mine is an elk, and it was the most "dead" elk I have shot, the others were with a 270WSM and a 300WM. It literally blew threw the elk and stopped him there. He was dead before he hit the ground. Congrats on the moose. That is alot of good meat for the freezer. Scotty

Outstanding, you just got to love the medium bores and especially the 35 Whelen. Well done
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default got my Moose with my Whelen

I used to have a friend who was a game warden - wed do the same thing with jacked white-tails, though I can see why theyre only doing ground meat packages.

Default Congrats!

358wsm,
    Great story and congratulations on the moose! I have the same rifle (K1A) and have yet to harvest a critter with it. My moose last year fell to one of my muzzleloaders-black powder only hunt- but the whelen goes everywhere else with me. I have hunted with it a few times and what a joy to carry! I have a good load for the 225 TSX, but I have not worked up a load for the 250 partition- yet...... Again Congratulations!