Thread: Peninsula Moose/Bear Report

Default Peninsula Moose/Bear Report

Thought you may all appreciate a few photos with a bittersweet ending. I was out guiding again this fall and had a great time. Flew in September 7 to base camp and met my hunter on the 8th for our moose hunt. We decided to go out early to do a bit of wolf culling if possible and scout the area. No wolves were spotted while out there but we did kill a nice moose on day 3. We went 5 plus miles back and forth across a drainage to try to get this guy closer to the landing strip and we ended up getting it on a willow flat about 1.5 miles from the strip. Not too bad except for the small mountain in between the moose and the strip. Packers weren't too happy but after two days we had all the meat to the strip bone in as required. Hunter and I did 4 loads and the packers 6 loads. Got to go back to main camp and fish/wolf hunt for the rest of season and had a blast. My hunter stayed on till bear season and hunted with a different guide and also got a 9'5" brownie on the 12th of October. We just sealed it and the F&G kid in Anchorage said it was the largest skull so far at 27" he has measured, fella had a great hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default Bear Report

Well we headed out on October 1st due to weather to try for a Brownie (new hunter). My hunter needed a bear and wolf to round out his 29 North American animals and we gave it our best. There were NO fish in the river that should have been full making the hunt tougher than normal. We hunted the first 5 days and passed up numerous 8-8.5 bears and couldn't get the big boys into range. THe hunter was an ANIMAL and he was fun to hunt with. We did spot the bear of everyones dreams that was reported to be living in this valley (truthfully I didn't believe it). Bear walked up a mountain across the valley and disappeared. We went after it and found it's track in the mud and it was 17" (Back foot) and the front pad was slightly over 10". We took photos of the track with a tape measure and continued on to no avail. THe next 6 days we got pounded by peninsula weather with 4 days of 80+ MPH winds. All spike camps flooded except for ours luckily but we couldn't hunt too much. Our landing strip in the photo was under 3 feet of water at one point! We hunted the biggie seeing it one more time but never could get close to it. We hunted for theat particular bear after that and never got it. We did have 2 nine footers we passed after seeing the hog but finally gave up on the chase as Gary had to get back. He is coming up again this spring to try to get the biggie so hopefully I will have a great photo in May! THe two longbow hunters in our valley each killed 9 footers from the same lagoon while we were in there and they were pumped. We did see 50 plus caribou, 2 wolverines, and no wolves. Great hunt! Hunter photo shows where the boars were all feeding, ON THE TOP!

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

nice work Gooch, too bad about the hog bear eluding you guys but maybe next spring youll get him.

Release Lake Trout

nice work gooch, super moose!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

D a m n , now your guiding, man your living the life!! Nice job Gooch, now it's time to get back to Coffman Cove and get some blacktails!

Default Blacktails

Hey John, Heading back home on Friday to get after the blacktails. I will hopefully have a few photos of them shortly.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

We are going to have to come down there someday and hunt those things, been a long time since i've done that and staying in the lodge would be nice and much better than staying in a tent.

Thumbs up

Good job on that moose Gooch sorry you all were not able to connect on the big brownie though hope you have better luck next year with him! Pretty cool two longbow hunters connected with brownies though, do you know what range they made their shots from and how many it took? Guys that archery hunt those big brownies really impress me.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Stickbow guys

One fella shot his at 15 yards the other at 20. The 15 yard shot killed the bear in 60 yards, the 20 yard shooter hit it good and it went 80 yards before piling up. Our guides said these guys were pretty solid.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default I know that guy

His name is Gary Young and he's a fantastic person. His contracting company built my Dad's new high school and his kids went to school with me. Check this out
    http://www.wvgazette.com/Outdoors/Hu...g/200908010379

I have some pictures of his trophy room that are better than the one's in that article. I'll try to post some.

When I go home I ALWAYS go and see him. I was in West Virginia during this hunt so I didn't get to see him this year but I knew he was up here. Hate it that he didn't get a bear but I'm sure he'll be back. His stories are incredible and he does the things that I can only dream of doing. Heck he's got two Marco Polo's in that room and a 10ft Polar Bear.

Default That's Gary

Cool that you know him we had an incredible hunt. I have never met someone who hunts as much as he does and I will tell you he is the most down to earth hard working hunter on the planet. I would share a hunt with him anytime, a guy like that makes you want to get him his bear. I saw his trophy room as well from photos once in the field and it was spectacular (we had lots of time on our hands during the typhoon). Gary is the kind of hunter you want in your tent for sure, I hope we can get him the biggie this spring!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Does it make sense to say that the reason such a huge bear is still around is because he knows to stay as far away from people as possible? Or would he just be lucky?

Default Smart I think

I think that the truly big ones especially in fall KNOW when the cubs start landing in the riverbeds the gig is up. There have been quite a few sightings of this guy over the last 9 years according to the owner and one guy specifically targeted it for 21 days once seeing it 3 times. In the spring when they are breeding with longer daylight, chances MAY be better at finding it. Either way it is an awesome bear whether anyone gets it or not I was blessed to see it and the tracks.

Side note, we had posted up on a glassing knob over the river for 4 straight days and saw a beautiful blonde bear working the other braid each evening at dark. We opted to move over to that side of the river for the first time and it crossed from our new lookout to within 600 yards of our original knob. Smart.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default Any Chance

of seeing pictures of that awesome track? could you PM me the name of the outfitter you work for? Thanks and good luck on the Deer hunt.

Default Hijack Alert!!

Gooch, Sorry about the Hijack. In an earlier post I said I would throw up a couple of picks from Gary's room. These are just from the mountain portion. The Dall in the upper left is over 40. The Marco Polo is 56. I'm sure there are some sheep hunters on here who will appreciate it. I'm also sure there are some guys who'll turn their noses up. Anyway, I'm glad you both had a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Well we headed out on October 1st due to weather to try for a Brownie (new hunter). My hunter needed a bear and wolf to round out his 29 North American animals and we gave it our best. There were NO fish in the river that should have been full making the hunt tougher than normal. We hunted the first 5 days and passed up numerous 8-8.5 bears and couldn't get the big boys into range. THe hunter was an ANIMAL and he was fun to hunt with. We did spot the bear of everyones dreams that was reported to be living in this valley (truthfully I didn't believe it). Bear walked up a mountain across the valley and disappeared. We went after it and found it's track in the mud and it was 17" (Back foot) and the front pad was slightly over 10". We took photos of the track with a tape measure and continued on to no avail. THe next 6 days we got pounded by peninsula weather with 4 days of 80+ MPH winds. All spike camps flooded except for ours luckily but we couldn't hunt too much. Our landing strip in the photo was under 3 feet of water at one point! We hunted the biggie seeing it one more time but never could get close to it. We hunted for theat particular bear after that and never got it. We did have 2 nine footers we passed after seeing the hog but finally gave up on the chase as Gary had to get back. He is coming up again this spring to try to get the biggie so hopefully I will have a great photo in May! THe two longbow hunters in our valley each killed 9 footers from the same lagoon while we were in there and they were pumped. We did see 50 plus caribou, 2 wolverines, and no wolves. Great hunt! Hunter photo shows where the boars were all feeding, ON THE TOP!

Gooch
    Give those measurements and the fact that most information suggests that bears continue to grow throughout their life - better get him pretty soon - may be a gun big enough to kill 'em!
    Good luck next year!
    Joe (Ak)

Default Great photos!

We did have a great trip thanks fo rthe hijack! Gary will be sending me a video and photos soon so I will post the track photo and some photos through his scope of some awesome bears.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island