Thread: Climbing Skin Philosophy

Default Climbing Skin Philosophy

Just wondering where folks sit on this matter.

Camp 1 - buy wide skins. They are about 10-15 mm narrower than the widest point on the ski (will be wider than the waist.) Trim skins to follow the ski's sidecut and provide the desired about of "reveal" on the edges/base.

Camp 2 - buy narrow skins. These would be about 5-10 mm narrower than the waist. Provides the desired abount of "reveal" in the waist area only.

Most folks are in Camp 1, but a few I know are in Camp 2. I'm looking to buy a new pair and can see more merits to Camp 2. Can't imagine that you give up that much in the grip department.

I have wide skins - as wide as the tip of my skis. I can't see any reason to go with a narrower skin.

Dont know much about them, but I guess I grasp the idea behind skins. That said, why would you not want as much gripping surface area as possible?

The wider skins that fit edge to edge also help when traversing a steeper slope on firmer snow. Here the only effective skin is along the edge of your ski, and if the only traction you are getting is directly underfoot on that one edge, you are not going to be going much of anywhere. I've tried getting away with the thinner skin before and found it to be more frustration that anything. Most skin tracks were set steeper than what my thin skins could handle, so even though an up track was set I had to break my own, less steep trail. Wide skins are a good investment.

wider skins work well for me, but then again i haven't tried out narrower ones and don't speak from years of experience.